Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 14, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #5,987 of 6,262
Thanks Groucho; can you provide more info: does the A3 provide a lot of additional power or is the difference just a little hump? Is it worth carrying the extra size and weight? Does the N3 keep the same sound signature with this amp? Thanks!

To my ear it does not seem to color the sound. A3 alows me to use my Beyerdynamic 250Ω to full advantage. I do not require more power when I use my N5 though.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #5,989 of 6,262
OK; and did you notice any improvement when using the amp with sensitive IEMs, or not at all?

Absolutely. The amp allows you to have great headroom so any soft to loud sudden attack is able to give a better impression and the noise floor is greatly improved. Obviously you need good source files. Nothing can improve poorly recorded content.

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #5,991 of 6,262
Hola everyone! If I may, I use the Topping NX4 (not the new DSD version) with my Cayin N3. I can say that the Topping as amplifier is neutral—doesn't impart any color to the Cayin's slightly warm sound, and powerful enough to drive the HIFiMAN HE-400i to soul-stripping level. Plus, its output impedance (as per Topping Support) is ~0.4 Ohm; no problems with low-impedance and high-sensitivity IEMs. In other words, an ideal pairing. :)

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #5,992 of 6,262
If there are any firmware update plans, please include a 'recently added' playlist, that would be golden, otherwise I have to go fishing through individual songs and add them to my favourites, thanks!

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #5,993 of 6,262
Black Friday sales is round the corner, our US distributor MusicTeck will offer a very good deal on N3. The black N3 will discount to $109.99 for several days, the blue and red N3 also available at $129.99. This is a very good opportunity if you are plan to pick up a N3 for yourself or as a gift to your family.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 21, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #5,995 of 6,262
2018 is a special year to Cayin because this is our 25th Anniversary, we have delivered several milestone products that summarized our effort in past three four years. We are fortunate to have customers who take us seriously and valued our contribution. Our highest gratitude and appreciation on this special day – we are so grateful for your support and we are looking forward to a fruitful and exciting 2019, and we hope you'll be there with us. Happy Thanksgiving Day!
upload_2018-11-22_12-31-31.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #5,996 of 6,262
Hello! I needed to choose between a Fiio X3 MKiii, a Cayin N3 and this HiBY R3 to be used as a music transport to a Modi 3 via coaxial. Does anyone have any preference or experience which could help me choose?

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #5,997 of 6,262
Has anyone run a the newer version of Shure SE215's with the N3? I know they are not the best set of IEM's but I rather like them, I have found when you amp them they come alive (Magni 3/ Modi 2)

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #5,998 of 6,262
Has anyone run a the newer version of Shure SE215's with the N3? I know they are not the best set of IEM's but I rather like them, I have found when you amp them they come alive (Magni 3/ Modi 2)

Anything I have tried with my N3 sounds great. I do not have the Shure but I have many other iems and buds....and headphones. I would not use my high impedance headphones with the N3.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #6,000 of 6,262
It's been a bit over a year or so since I got it, and my N3 seems to no longer be recognizing the SD cards I have inserted into it; I've tried multiple cards now, both 128GB and 64GB formatted to exFAT and FAT32, fully reformatted them all twice and I'm still getting nothing. The N3's display screen says "No memory card Please insert memory card" when I try to access the files on it, and I can't even update or change the firmware version on it, as when I try I get the message Operation failed Upgrade file not found" despite the fact I have the .upt file in the root of the SD card inserted into it. It was running the 3.0 custom firmware from this thread if I remember right. Oddly when I plug it into my computer (Windows 10 PC) it is recognized as a thumb drive and I can access all the files I had loaded to it. The N3's Bluetooth functionality still seems to be working fine, as it seems I can stream audio from my phone to it no problem. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back