Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 28, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #6,001 of 6,262
It's been a bit over a year or so since I got it, and my N3 seems to no longer be recognizing the SD cards I have inserted into it; I've tried multiple cards now, both 128GB and 64GB formatted to exFAT and FAT32, fully reformatted them all twice and I'm still getting nothing. The N3's display screen says "No memory card Please insert memory card" when I try to access the files on it, and I can't even update or change the firmware version on it, as when I try I get the message Operation failed Upgrade file not found" despite the fact I have the .upt file in the root of the SD card inserted into it. It was running the 3.0 custom firmware from this thread if I remember right. Oddly when I plug it into my computer (Windows 10 PC) it is recognized as a thumb drive and I can access all the files I had loaded to it. The N3's Bluetooth functionality still seems to be working fine, as it seems I can stream audio from my phone to it no problem. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Have you tried a reset of the N3?

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #6,002 of 6,262
Have you tried a reset of the N3?
Yes, multiple times/through every kind of "reset" I can think of: I've tried resetting the power, using the little needle reset button thing, and using the "Reset" option in the "System setting" menu. The system does seem to recognize when I put an SD card in (physically) as it displays something like an "SD card inserted/removed" message when I do that, but when I try to update the database it again says no SD card found. As I mentioned, because it seems it can't recognize the content of SD cards inserted in it I don't think I can update/reflash(?) the firmware.

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #6,003 of 6,262
Yes, multiple times/through every kind of "reset" I can think of: I've tried resetting the power, using the little needle reset button thing, and using the "Reset" option in the "System setting" menu. The system does seem to recognize when I put an SD card in (physically) as it displays something like an "SD card inserted/removed" message when I do that, but when I try to update the database it again says no SD card found. As I mentioned, because it seems it can't recognize the content of SD cards inserted in it I don't think I can update/reflash(?) the firmware.
Have you tried using the USB OTG capability and updating that way? I'm not sure if it would work, but it's worth a try if the FW is corrupted.
It almost sounds like there's something wrong with the card slot -- maybe it's gotten something in it?

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #6,004 of 6,262
maybe it's gotten something in it?

Good point. Just last week I had a flakey card-slot (though not in the N3). I hit it with a blast of compressed air and the tiniest bit of fluff flew out. Worked fine after that, lol.

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #6,005 of 6,262
Have you tried using the USB OTG capability and updating that way? I'm not sure if it would work, but it's worth a try if the FW is corrupted.
It almost sounds like there's something wrong with the card slot -- maybe it's gotten something in it?
Tried plugging it in OTG and it recognizes the drive I put there, but I don't know how to run an update file off OTG, or if there is a way to?

I mentioned it before, but I don't think it's a problem with the card slot physically because my computer sees the SD card in the N3's slot when I plug it in there (with a USB cable), but the N3 itself sees nothing when I try to open the SD card's files on the device/try to update the firmware. My computer is seeing the N3 as like a thumb drive with the SD card and all the music files I have on it

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #6,006 of 6,262
little question for Andy , with a update 3.1 the sd card with 400go capacity it's ok for N3 ?

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #6,007 of 6,262
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #6,008 of 6,262
thanks .......... i wait for the moment
the price is ...............:triportsad:

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #6,009 of 6,262
Looking seriously at the Cayin N3 as it is available for $109 right now and after reading through the thread, it appears you guys like it. Im also considering the Hidisc AP80 in the price range. Does anyone have an opinion about the N3 vs others that have come out over the past year in the same bang for the buck $100-$300 price point. The N3 looks like an exceptional value at $109 to take a dip into the DAP waters.

thanks in advance for any input

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #6,010 of 6,262
Looking seriously at the Cayin N3 as it is available for $109 right now and after reading through the thread, it appears you guys like it. Im also considering the Hidisc AP80 in the price range. Does anyone have an opinion about the N3 vs others that have come out over the past year in the same bang for the buck $100-$300 price point. The N3 looks like an exceptional value at $109 to take a dip into the DAP waters.

FWIW if you read my message from a few days ago mine's essentially bricked and nobody's given me an answer here as to what might be wrong with it/concrete things I could do to fix it lol.

I had another issue with it shortly after I got it in which it became completely unresponsive on the boot up screen, couldn't reset it or anything, and I wrote the manufacturer's support on their site and was told to take my issue up with the vendor who sold it to me on amazon, so no real help then either. What fixed it that time was letting the battery run completely down to 0 and then charging it up again. All these other folks seem to love it though, so maybe I just got a rare bad copy.. I'm quite dissatisfied though and I feel like I completely wasted my money on it.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #6,011 of 6,262
FWIW if you read my message from a few days ago mine's essentially bricked and nobody's given me an answer here as to what might be wrong with it/concrete things I could do to fix it lol.

I had another issue with it shortly after I got it in which it became completely unresponsive on the boot up screen, couldn't reset it or anything, and I wrote the manufacturer's support on their site and was told to take my issue up with the vendor who sold it to me on amazon, so no real help then either. What fixed it that time was letting the battery run completely down to 0 and then charging it up again. All these other folks seem to love it though, so maybe I just got a rare bad copy.. I'm quite dissatisfied though and I feel like I completely wasted my money on it.

We're not the manufacturer, so if we hadn't seen it, we're not going to be able to help. If yours is "esssentially bricked", you should probably contact Cayin directly and look into RMA or service for your unit.

I've had mine since the beginning and used it all around the world. It's been dropped, thrown, stepped on, rolled over, banged around in flight cases, and vibrated all over the top of speaker cabinets. I use mine quite often, in and out of the studio. Never had an issue with mine. I use 256GB, 400GB, and 512GB cards in it with all sorts of custom IEMs and studio headphones. For the price, it's one of the best units you can get. Yes, I know that some people don't like the "buttons", but I've not had any issues with those either. For $109, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Dec 1, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #6,012 of 6,262
We're not the manufacturer, so if we hadn't seen it, we're not going to be able to help. If yours is "esssentially bricked", you should probably contact Cayin directly and look into RMA or service for your unit.

I've had mine since the beginning and used it all around the world. It's been dropped, thrown, stepped on, rolled over, banged around in flight cases, and vibrated all over the top of speaker cabinets. I use mine quite often, in and out of the studio. Never had an issue with mine. I use 256GB, 400GB, and 512GB cards in it with all sorts of custom IEMs and studio headphones. For the price, it's one of the best units you can get. Yes, I know that some people don't like the "buttons", but I've not had any issues with those either. For $109, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

I think you misread my message as I didn't say anything to the effect of complaining about users here not helping with my first issue, just dissatisfaction with the support I've gotten for the product from the manufacturer. I contacted Cayin directly and they didn't help. Here is the response I got at that point if you're interested:

service@cayin.cn <service@cayin.cn>
Mon, Oct 9, 2017, 8:06 PM
to me

Dear Parker,

Sorry to hear this problem. This N3 need to be repair if reset still cannot do any help. Please contact with the dealer on amazon to deal with it. Thank you.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #6,013 of 6,262
I think you misread my message as I didn't say anything to the effect of complaining about users here not helping with my first issue, just dissatisfaction with the support I've gotten for the product from the manufacturer. I contacted Cayin directly and they didn't help. Here is the response I got at that point if you're interested:

service@cayin.cn <service@cayin.cn>
Mon, Oct 9, 2017, 8:06 PM
to me

Dear Parker,

Sorry to hear this problem. This N3 need to be repair if reset still cannot do any help. Please contact with the dealer on amazon to deal with it. Thank you.

Is @Andykong aware of your problem?

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #6,014 of 6,262
Dec 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #6,015 of 6,262

Thanks for the insight. I agree that for the price, it looks like a steal and a perfect way to get into a DAP for listening to FLAC. I need to see if I can find some videos on how the interface works. Coming from a Mac/Iphone background, I have been accustomed to the ease of use in playlist creation / organization and making the move to a dedicated DAP, the UI is going to be vastly different, and something that has delayed my purchase.

Having to relearn how to organize files and transfer / create playlists, etc... and find a decent UI that is easy enough without getting into an Android based bloated UI to kills the battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back