Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 4, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #5,386 of 6,262
Hi. I have recently bought one of these daps and could use some advice. What filter settings would be best if I'm listening to metal using earbuds such as ve Zen lite?

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #5,387 of 6,262
Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #5,388 of 6,262
Mar 4, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #5,389 of 6,262
Thanks that just the sort of info I needed :)
It's a great dap anyhow. Anybody found a good pairing ear bud or iem wise?

All of them

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #5,391 of 6,262
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #5,392 of 6,262
I certainly won't buy another Cayin product while I'm living in Thailand as the manufacturer's representatives only seem interested in supporting their latest model on this forum and the Thai distributor is a complete joke. Customer service is not a forte of any local retailers that I've encountered but 2-3 weeks to answer emails is pathetic for a company that sells exclusively online (fiio.in.thai/holysai or whatever else they call themselves). I've sent my unit back now, after having to chase them by phone, so now I will wait for them to start making excuses and pretending there's nothing wrong with it once they receive it.

They claimed they no longer used the email that I sent a message to but they still have it listed on the homepage of their website.....

Sorry if we have not been helpful enough on N3 DAP thread, I have read the thread frequently but Silvia (CayinSupport) takes cares of the responding. You instance happens during the Chinese New Year break (from 10-25 Feb), and that's why you didn't get any feedback from us, I can assure you that we didn't neglect N3 users because we have released the N5ii. I'm checking out the Thailand sales network right now, we'll get back to you promptly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 5, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #5,393 of 6,262
Sorry if we have not been helpful enough on N3 DAP thread, I have read the thread frequently but Silvia (CayinSupport) takes cares of the responding. You instance happens during the Chinese New Year break (from 10-25 Feb), and that's why you didn't get any feedback from us, I can assure you that we didn't neglect N3 users because we have released the N5ii. I'm checking out the Thailand sales network right now, we'll get back to you promptly.
They are collecting the unit from the local post office tonight and have promised to process the claim straight away so hopefully my fears will turn out to be unfounded.

I realised after the fact that it was during the Chinese New Year when I made my original post, which is why I waited until you'd returned to work for a whole week before I made any further comments. I then noticed that both you and Silvia had been active on the N5ii thread but not at all on this one. Again, maybe I am unfairly expecting the worst and for that I apologise. I do find it difficult to deal with local companies (in Thailand) as they seem to have a different attitude towards time than northern Europeans and this leads me to expect the worst from everyone in situations like this. Not an excuse for my thoughts but hopefully an explanation of sorts....I am a prisoner in a foreign land :-/

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #5,394 of 6,262
Thanks that just the sort of info I needed :)
It's a great dap anyhow. Anybody found a good pairing ear bud or iem wise?

If I had to pick a favorite pairing for the N3, it would be either the Simgot EN700 non-bass (these fit the kind of budget space that the N3 was designed for if you can still find them), or the Magaosi K5 with an ungraded cable. The N3 being lower powered than most is a good match with the hyper-sensitivity of the K5 as more powerful sources do bad things in the way of hiss/noise. An Ifi-Match does a great job of making the Magaosi usable with other sources with higher output, but on low gain the N3 is a good natural mating for it without needing an earbuddy or imatch.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #5,395 of 6,262
I have a question about battery level. Is there a screen somewhere that will display the battery level like the one when the unit is being charged? The only place I have found is the main screen and that font is so small it is very difficult to read even with a magnifying glass. Perhaps if it is not terribly difficult Cayin could/would have that full screen showing the battery level appear at turn on/off of the player. It would certainly make keeping track of the best time to charge easier. I have been trying to use the 80/20 rule and would like an easy way to determine the level when I turn it off. Thanks.

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #5,396 of 6,262
They are collecting the unit from the local post office tonight and have promised to process the claim straight away so hopefully my fears will turn out to be unfounded.

I realised after the fact that it was during the Chinese New Year when I made my original post, which is why I waited until you'd returned to work for a whole week before I made any further comments. I then noticed that both you and Silvia had been active on the N5ii thread but not at all on this one. Again, maybe I am unfairly expecting the worst and for that I apologise. I do find it difficult to deal with local companies (in Thailand) as they seem to have a different attitude towards time than northern Europeans and this leads me to expect the worst from everyone in situations like this. Not an excuse for my thoughts but hopefully an explanation of sorts....I am a prisoner in a foreign land :-/

Hi eaglesgift, sorry for the late reply! This is indeed my fault. I kept an close eye in N5ii thread but forgot N3 thread last week. I apologized for my omission. I will keep following the N3 thread again. And I hope your issue can be handled by the local distributor smoothly. Besides, if you have a urgent issue but get no reply in the thread, you can send it to community@cayin.cn to get through to me quickly afterwards.Have a nice day!

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #5,397 of 6,262
I have a question about battery level. Is there a screen somewhere that will display the battery level like the one when the unit is being charged? The only place I have found is the main screen and that font is so small it is very difficult to read even with a magnifying glass. Perhaps if it is not terribly difficult Cayin could/would have that full screen showing the battery level appear at turn on/off of the player. It would certainly make keeping track of the best time to charge easier. I have been trying to use the 80/20 rule and would like an easy way to determine the level when I turn it off. Thanks.

Thanks for your advice! But we won't revise N3 battery life display currently for it is to do with UI , we may need a pretty significant amount of effort to redesign it. But I will record your advice for future product. Thank you for your understanding!

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #5,398 of 6,262
Since you were so nice to respond to my last question I would like to pose another regarding the usability of the N3. I have used mine now for about nine months and thoroughly enjoy the unit. The sound is exquisite. It would be interesting to me if some of the other users might agree with a change I would like to propose. It seems to me that I would find changing the position of two of the capacitive buttons (upper right and lower left) would make things much more intuitive. If it is possible to change the #9 and the #8 buttons use such that simply moving your finger up/down would do the exact thing on the screen things would be easier for me. There is another reason beyond the intuitive aspect that would help me. I find the only real problem I ever have is if my finger slips up ever so slightly when I am looking for something the "return" necessitates having to start all over while I never seem to go to the right or left accidently.
I know you said it was difficult to program the battery screen into the on/off progression. How about if you were to make one of the capacitive buttons trick the unit into thinking it was charging while the screen is off. They do not do anything when the screen is dark so perhaps it would not be too difficult to write code to do this, Or maybe by holding two buttons on together there would be an easy way to pull up the large battery screen.
I do want to emphasize that the DAP is a wonderful enjoyable unit and I will continue to enjoy it for many more years. One more thing....I am not particularly savvy at writing in blogs so I am not sure if the attachment I am trying to add will come through. It is page 2 of the instruction manual which has a drawing with the various buttons labeled with numbers. Thanks for your consideration.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #5,399 of 6,262
Since you were so nice to respond to my last question I would like to pose another regarding the usability of the N3. I have used mine now for about nine months and thoroughly enjoy the unit. The sound is exquisite. It would be interesting to me if some of the other users might agree with a change I would like to propose. It seems to me that I would find changing the position of two of the capacitive buttons (upper right and lower left) would make things much more intuitive. If it is possible to change the #9 and the #8 buttons use such that simply moving your finger up/down would do the exact thing on the screen things would be easier for me. There is another reason beyond the intuitive aspect that would help me. I find the only real problem I ever have is if my finger slips up ever so slightly when I am looking for something the "return" necessitates having to start all over while I never seem to go to the right or left accidently.
I know you said it was difficult to program the battery screen into the on/off progression. How about if you were to make one of the capacitive buttons trick the unit into thinking it was charging while the screen is off. They do not do anything when the screen is dark so perhaps it would not be too difficult to write code to do this, Or maybe by holding two buttons on together there would be an easy way to pull up the large battery screen.
I do want to emphasize that the DAP is a wonderful enjoyable unit and I will continue to enjoy it for many more years. One more thing....I am not particularly savvy at writing in blogs so I am not sure if the attachment I am trying to add will come through. It is page 2 of the instruction manual which has a drawing with the various buttons labeled with numbers. Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks again for your suggestions! However, Cayin must emphasis that while we are trying our best to bug fix and enhance our N3 DAP, we cannot accommodate requests based on personal preference, and cosmetic-based suggestions will have lower priority over bug fix and function/feature based requirements. I know this is a statement that might make you unhappy, we simply want to play honest and realistic while continuing our effort to improve our products.Thank you for your understanding! Besides, you referred "How about if you were to make one of the capacitive buttons trick the unit into thinking it was charging while the screen is off. " ,actually, there are two ways to check its charging condition, first of all, charging indicators will be flashing while charging and stay always-on when charging is completed. Secondly, you can click on power on/off button to light up the charging screen like below:
upload_2018-3-7_10-10-22.png

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #5,400 of 6,262
Yesterday I received mine. I'll like to ask if from factory they came with battery charged or which % more or less? Mine came totally drained, I imagine that could be an "old" stock but I realized some strange behaviour with % of battery, first showed 100% I reconnected then 0%...I left and finally charged until 100%.I updated the firmware to v3.0.

Amazing sound quality but I'm afraid it drains the battery a bit fast, I calculated and I won't get more than 7h-8h with mid gain no more than 30/100 volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back