Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 12, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #4,786 of 6,262
Someone said earlier that it does not.

AAC isn't listed either but it works just fine. For some reason though, I pretty sure it can't due Opus. I can't remember where I read that so take it with a grain of salt.

Alright, thank you.

I wonder if that is something Cayin could add to current/future players?

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #4,789 of 6,262
True that, but some enterprising folks have opened the Shanling fw much more. Can change entire gfx/fonts, much like the modded Fiio firmwares of old
Those same guys are the ones who did it for the N3. Xvortex is one of them. He's responsible for Rockbox for the xduuo X3 and FiiO X5II custom firmware. Perhaps a PM to him could help you guys out with a custom fw. I am ok with the stock fw, but would be interested in a lite fw like he did with the X5II.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4,790 of 6,262
Cool, thanks. At the price I paid, I have no complaints about the N3 to be honest. It feels like you focused on sound quality, which is the most important thing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the N3 to a friend.
Thank you for your trust ! We will continue to try our best to improve our product.:sun_with_face:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 12, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #4,791 of 6,262
I don't have my N3 in front of me, but I think there is a setting on what to display (file name, title, or whatever it is). However, you'd still have to write the particular tag to get it to display what you want.

I'm not sure what a fw update will do for you? Cayin has said that the N3 can't handle much more as far as features do to CPU usage on the N3 being limited. Just change your tag to make it display like you want. I only have experience with Cayin, FiiO, and Sansa and you can get them to display anything if you tag your files correctly. Keep in mind, due to the limited screen size and font of the N3, the N3 would be doing a lot of scrolling for you to view larger file/title names. Personally, I don't stare at the screen while listening. I pick the album I want to listen to, hit play, and then turn the screen off. YMMV

There isn't. My files are all properly tagged using MP3Tag. I think it could use a import M3U playlist feature so that when the user chooses Playlist under music category, it doesn't just show "No Files Found". That shouldn't take much processing power since there's an "Update the Music Library" option under Music Library. Or if that's not possible, a Windows application might do?

docholliday said:
That's normal, both the Cayin N3 and Fiio X1-II exhibit the same thing. The Category based "Playlist" is for playlists that you build in the player itself (hitting the heart symbol when playing a track) and ignores your M3U/M3U8 playlists. To get to those, you have to access your list via the Folder chooser.

I've been suggesting that the firmware writers make the "internal" playlist nothing more than a blank M3U8 file that you are adding/subtracting from so that it's easier to copy off the card and edit. But, I don't know if it's possible since the internal playlist is stored in the players RAM and not on the card.
- Link

Edit: There was mention of a custom firmware for the N3, does anyone have a link?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #4,792 of 6,262
Oh, so you mean the name that appears there is the file name and not the one on the #EXTINF line? I wish @CayinSupport would update the firmware for the N3. When was the last update? July?

Just as @fourrobert13 said due to limited CPU usage, we cannot add this feature to N3. Apologize for any inconvenience!

I don't have my N3 in front of me, but I think there is a setting on what to display (file name, title, or whatever it is). However, you'd still have to write the particular tag to get it to display what you want.

I'm not sure what a fw update will do for you? Cayin has said that the N3 can't handle much more as far as features do to CPU usage on the N3 being limited. Just change your tag to make it display like you want. I only have experience with Cayin, FiiO, and Sansa and you can get them to display anything if you tag your files correctly. Keep in mind, due to the limited screen size and font of the N3, the N3 would be doing a lot of scrolling for you to view larger file/title names. Personally, I don't stare at the screen while listening. I pick the album I want to listen to, hit play, and then turn the screen off. YMMV

Appreciate your timely and precise support fourrobert! You have always been very helpful and kind, and I should learn from you!:sunflower::sun_with_face::sparkles:

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #4,794 of 6,262
Hi everyone,

I have finally managed to get my N3 to work as a usb DAC in Linux. If anyone else is having trouble with this the key step for me was to change my udev rules so that pulseaudio does not try to use the N3, this allows alsa to use the device directly.

First you will need to find out where your udev rules are stored, this is usually /etc/udev/rules.d/

In this folder create (or edit) a file called 89-pulseaudio-usb.rules and make sure it contains the lines:
Code:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2d87", ATTRS{idProduct}=="001a", ENV{PULSE_IGNORE}="1"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="2d87", ATTRS{idProduct}=="001a", GROUP="users"
The first line ensure pulseaudio does not try to grab the N3, the second line (which may not be needed) sets up permissions for the this device - it sets the devices group to "users" this means that all members of the "users" group should be able to access it (you may want check which groups your user is a member of to ensure that you will be able to access the N3).

After creating this file and rebooting the computer everything should (mostly) work. You will not be able to use this device through pulseaudio so only programs that use alsa will work - I have had success with DeadBeef, mpd and mopidy music players. Sometimes when I plug the N3 into the computer it will not work straight away - so far simply unplugging the N3 and restarting it seems to do the trick.

It would seem to me that the N3 sometimes gets "messed up" in the sense that when a program tries to play music through it as a usb DAC in the "wrong way" (whatever that might be, for me using aplay with the incorrect settings seems to do the job) the N3 goes into a state where it refuse to work as usb DAC until it is restarted. It would be great @CayinSupport could look into this and improve Linux support in future firmware releases. I accept that this might not be entirely Cayin's fault, audio on Linux is a fickle beast! That being said other usb audio devices I own do work without any of this faff and are literally plug and play (even with pulseaudio).

Regardless I am very pleased with the N3 especially as now all of its features are working for me. It would be great if Cayin could iron out some firmware related issues - particularly the click in between tracks in gapless mode which I know a few people on here are experiencing.

You are genus!Truth to be told, I am unfamiliar with Linux, but really glad to hear that you solved it on your own. I would give your feedback to our senior engineers!Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #4,795 of 6,262
No prob, that SQ's great for what it's worth. Hope you guys make a playlist import tool for this though.

Also, found the link to the custom firmware. Too bad it won't be updated anymore.

Custom firmware is not our official firmware,so we don't warrant it. If you are interested in its update,maybe you can drop a message to its creator XVortex and gler personally. Thanks for your understanding advanced!:yum:

Last edited:

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #4,796 of 6,262
There isn't. My files are all properly tagged using MP3Tag. I think it could use a import M3U playlist feature so that when the user chooses Playlist under music category, it doesn't just show "No Files Found". That shouldn't take much processing power since there's an "Update the Music Library" option under Music Library. Or if that's not possible, a Windows application might do?
Just checked this myself. You are correct, it isn't there, but it is on my FiiOs. The UI is so similar on them that I forget that they aren't exactly the same.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,798 of 6,262
Hibylink for ios may be in the works. I was reading the M2s thread and Shanling just released a new fw update with a beta ios version of hibylink. So perhaps the N3 users will get an ios version in the near future. I run Android myself, but thought I would pass this on.

I have said the iOS HiByLink is happening back in last Wednesday, and it is indeed round the corner only (finger crossed please).

Yes, We have been informed that HiByMusic has submitted their latest iOS version to App Store and is pending for approval. We have also received the N3 beta firmware (v2.1 + iOS HiByLink enabled) and the latest beta version of iOS HiByMusic App (Build 6033) download link from beta.bugly.qq.com platform. We are testing the iOS compatibility right now.

We have discussed whether we should release the Beta version App and firmware, but we decided to stick with our own practice: beta firmware and application are mean for testing, and we should resume this duty diligently as responsible manufacturer. Therefore we decided to focus on the testing right now and release the firmware/app when we have tested them thoroughly or when they are available in official release.

Will keep everyone informed in due course, so please stay tuned.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,799 of 6,262
I have said the iOS HiByLink is happening back in last Wednesday, and it is indeed round the corner only (finger crossed please).

Yes, We have been informed that HiByMusic has submitted their latest iOS version to App Store and is pending for approval. We have also received the N3 beta firmware (v2.1 + iOS HiByLink enabled) and the latest beta version of iOS HiByMusic App (Build 6033) download link from beta.bugly.qq.com platform. We are testing the iOS compatibility right now.

We have discussed whether we should release the Beta version App and firmware, but we decided to stick with our own practice: beta firmware and application are mean for testing, and we should resume this duty diligently as responsible manufacturer. Therefore we decided to focus on the testing right now and release the firmware/app when we have tested them thoroughly or when they are available in official release.

Will keep everyone informed in due course, so please stay tuned.
Finally! Thank you @Andykong for your persistence and updates :) As for everyone asking about the custom firmware, I'll work on and release a new version (with my genius partner in crime) once the iOS-enabled firmware update is released.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,800 of 6,262
So i take the bullet without audition for cayin n3. Based on brand itself, sound character repro and signature based on dozen review and this thread.
Not one bullet but 2 bullet or let say 2 unit cayin n3. For me and my wife, just wondering
where i can get extra sillicone color. Because i only can get black unit with black sillicon from authorized (they said) retailer at indonesia.
Hope @Andykong can give me sugestion and pointer.
Also hope my gut not wrong so i can promote this product to my friends and community :beerchug:
Thanks for help and this is my first post :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back