Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 7, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #4,711 of 6,262
Personally I would never use AAC though.
Need efficiency? Vorbis or Opus
Need compatibility? mp3
Archive? FLAC
I archive flac. Like I said, comparability is a concern of mine. Most DAPS can handle ogg or opus, but phones will require an app. I just stick to AAC (some mp3) because that works for me. YMMV and probably does. I've yet to try anything like ogg or opus, but should give them a try. I've wondered with the added compression to these files what it does to battery life? Mp3 and AAC are pretty easy on a DAP. I easily get 14 hours from my N3 running these two formats. I'd be interested to know from those who are using ogg or opus.

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #4,712 of 6,262
I don't like the way AAC and MP3s handle treble compression so I prefer listening to my FLAC or ALAC files all the time (when I have them) and I've only just started to feel like one 200GB SD card wasn't enough.

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #4,713 of 6,262
All of my SERIOUS music listening is done at home, on my Woo, with high end cans. Or via my high end room rigs.
FLAC, SACD, Vinyl, Open Reel tape.
I don't really worry over portable, which is why endlessly fussing with a mobile device,(as nice as it sounds, and it DOES sound nice), doesn't really have me committed to messing about.
When all I have to do is push and spin the wheel on the iPod to easily get where I want to go, it's pretty simple-minded to go with what just works. FOR ME.
You read this thread, and you can see that the Cayin requires tweaking and fussy file management and seems,(by reading), that it tends to be pretty buggy.
The most expensive IEMs I own are NuForce Hem8's and Shure 535's, and I don't plan to spend much more on portable devices, especially when the environment I'm in with portable tends to be too distracting to worry
over high high high fidelity.

If this thing were easier and more straight forward,(to a Mac-user who does iPhone, not Android), I'd involve myself more in it.
Practicing medicine and doing post-doc studies doesn't always leave me as much time as I'd like for that sort of thing, doggone it.

I'll keep plugging away.
I'm just sort of being realistic about myself as a lost cause on some of this schtuff, maybe putting it out there that I might offer up this nice device to someone who would
actually USE it. While it's still in lovely condition.

Yes, MBWilson, I'm the file-folder-album person.
I haven't had much time for a re-do on it.(see above)
I don't think what I said was less than honest about me sucking with it... I am HOPING that the operative word for somebody else wanting it would be the "pristine" that I stuck in there.
You guys have been ABSOLUTELY SUPER about posting help responses to me, you all rock solid, in my view.
It's probably disappointing that I might be giving up too soon.

I'll give it a bit longer, try the folder thingie,(when I have time), and, if I'm still not sold on it, given my listening prefs and all, I'll get back in here and let folks know I'm selling.
Please don't understand that this post is me being a whiner-complainer; I have a bit of humour to me and a pragmatic brain that recognizes a FAIL when I see one.Especially when it's ME.
:wink:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #4,714 of 6,262
All of my SERIOUS music listening is done at home, on my Woo, with high end cans. Or via my high end room rigs.
FLAC, SACD, Vinyl, Open Reel tape.
I don't really worry over portable, which is why endlessly fussing with a mobile device,(as nice as it sounds, and it DOES sound nice), doesn't really have me committed to messing about.
When all I have to do is push and spin the wheel on the iPod to easily get where I want to go, it's pretty simple-minded to go with what just works. FOR ME.
You read this thread, and you can see that the Cayin requires tweaking and fussy file management and seems,(by reading), that it tends to be pretty buggy.
The most expensive IEMs I own are NuForce Hem8's and Shure 535's, and I don't plan to spend much more on portable devices, especially when the environment I'm in with portable tends to be too distracting to worry
over high high high fidelity.

If this thing were easier and more straight forward,(to a Mac-user who does iPhone, not Android), I'd involve myself more in it.
Practicing medicine and doing post-doc studies doesn't always leave me as much time as I'd like for that sort of thing, doggone it.

I'll keep plugging away.
I'm just sort of being realistic about myself as a lost cause on some of this schtuff, maybe putting it out there that I might offer up this nice device to someone who would
actually USE it. While it's still in lovely condition.

Yes, MBWilson, I'm the file-folder-album person.
I haven't had much time for a re-do on it.(see above)
I don't think what I said was less than honest about me sucking with it... I am HOPING that the operative word for somebody else wanting it would be the "pristine" that I stuck in there.
You guys have been ABSOLUTELY SUPER about posting help responses to me, you all rock solid, in my view.
It's probably disappointing that I might be giving up too soon.

I'll give it a bit longer, try the folder thingie,(when I have time), and, if I'm still not sold on it, given my listening prefs and all, I'll get back in here and let folks know I'm selling.
Please don't understand that this post is me being a whiner-complainer; I have a bit of humour to me and a pragmatic brain that recognizes a FAIL when I see one.Especially when it's ME.
:wink:

This is very good sharing, thank you very much.

While its important to tell people how good we are, its also equally important to tell people that we are not ready on certain aspect. We don't want to disappoint our customers because a high percentage of satisfying customer is more important to brand building then selling more units to potentially unhappy customers, that's why we are grateful to details and sincerely sharing from @DogMeat, most customer will just sell the units and go way in silent.

Although the N3 has been well-received by DAP users, Cayin understands very well that there no one single product that can fit the preference of every customers, especially when we are dealing with users from Apple Ecosystem. We know our user experience is fall short from their expectation, we are hoping that the iOS version of HiByLink can fill the gap but the delays in app development are not helping us, for the record, the IOS version HiByLink has started beta stage already, if everything goes smooth, we should be able to announce the good news very soon.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #4,715 of 6,262
This is very good sharing, thank you very much.

While its important to tell people how good we are, its also equally important to tell people that we are not ready on certain aspect. We don't want to disappoint our customers because a high percentage of satisfying customer is more important to brand building then selling more units to potentially unhappy customers, that's why we are grateful to details and sincerely sharing from @DogMeat, most customer will just sell the units and go way in silent.

Although the N3 has been well-received by DAP users, Cayin understands very well that there no one single product that can fit the preference of every customers, especially when we are dealing with users from Apple Ecosystem. We know our user experience is fall short from their expectation, we are hoping that the iOS version of HiByLink can fill the gap but the delays in app development are not helping us, for the record, the IOS version HiByLink has started beta stage already, if everything goes smooth, we should be able to announce the good news very soon.

Thank YOU for being so attentive, as a manufacturer of a product that I want to enjoy very much.
Saying that you are building HiByLink for iOS is very exciting for me...now I will wait about selling my N3!

I will watch for that, as well as what is happening with your products.
Again, my thanks, gratitude for you paying attention to the thoughts of your customers!

Nov 7, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #4,716 of 6,262
I archive flac. Like I said, comparability is a concern of mine. Most DAPS can handle ogg or opus, but phones will require an app. I just stick to AAC (some mp3) because that works for me. YMMV and probably does. I've yet to try anything like ogg or opus, but should give them a try. I've wondered with the added compression to these files what it does to battery life? Mp3 and AAC are pretty easy on a DAP. I easily get 14 hours from my N3 running these two formats. I'd be interested to know from those who are using ogg or opus.
Haven't seen one that does Opus yet except the Android ones.
I got 4.3GB of music compressed with opus from the original 29GB, to fit my phone. It's pretty useful but converting is a pain.
Opus is supposed to be pretty efficient, real time encoding and decoding is possible so it's ideal for streaming.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #4,718 of 6,262
I don't like the way AAC and MP3s handle treble compression so I prefer listening to my FLAC or ALAC files all the time (when I have them) and I've only just started to feel like one 200GB SD card wasn't enough.
I wasn't trying to make you change, just saying how I do things is all. Perhaps if I had a home system, things would be different for me, but I'm happy with just using portable devices. As I said, I can't tell a difference between the formats i mentioned so I just go with what works best for me. I'd love to get a 400 gig card, but they're still too expensive at the moment.

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4,719 of 6,262
Thank YOU for being so attentive, as a manufacturer of a product that I want to enjoy very much.
Saying that you are building HiByLink for iOS is very exciting for me...now I will wait about selling my N3!

I will watch for that, as well as what is happening with your products.
Again, my thanks, gratitude for you paying attention to the thoughts of your customers!

We are not building HiByLink for iOS, HiByMusic is doing that, and they should get all the credit ..... or blames! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4,720 of 6,262
I wasn't trying to make you change, just saying how I do things is all. Perhaps if I had a home system, things would be different for me, but I'm happy with just using portable devices. As I said, I can't tell a difference between the formats i mentioned so I just go with what works best for me. I'd love to get a 400 gig card, but they're still too expensive at the moment.

Oh totally. Wasn't taking it that way. I think I was just trying to say that even listening to my music "uncompressed" doesn't mean having to adjust much it terms of habits or storage. At least with my work/home commute, or when I'm on vacation. That is, of course, until I hit the limit on one 200GB SD card....

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #4,721 of 6,262
I bought the cayin n3 recently and in love with it . Is there anyway i can use it as a portable dac/amp with my pixel xl ? ( I know the bluetooth way - but it lags a bit in the mode . Im asking abt the otg method , what connector should i be looking at and is it actually possible ?)

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #4,722 of 6,262
I bought the cayin n3 recently and in love with it . Is there anyway i can use it as a portable dac/amp with my pixel xl ? ( I know the bluetooth way - but it lags a bit in the mode . Im asking abt the otg method , what connector should i be looking at and is it actually possible ?)

Are you wanting to use the N3 as a USB DAC, so you can stream audio from the Internet?

The subject of using the N3 as a USB DAC on Android, has been addressed several times, by Cayin personnel.
A quick search, within this thread, for the word Android, reveals many questions / answers.
Here's one - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-156#post-13531092

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #4,724 of 6,262
Sry .. im new to head-fi. Il use the search function from next time . I was referring to use the n3 as portable dac/amp to connect with my pixel and listen to songs from spotify/tidal .i think that is not possible :frowning2:
Outside of bluetooth, I don't think you can. Android is picking about DACs. Welcome to Head-fi by the way.:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back