Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4,561 of 6,262
This is my home rig—the HD650 > Cayin N3 > and the Pocket Class A NHB portable class A amp by @xrk971:

Sometimes I’ll couple the N3 with the HP-V1 portable tube amp by Fostex, too.

And this is my portable set up when I can’t tote an amp:
The N3 with the Thinksound ON2

Sometimes I’d take some iems if I need something super portable or if I want my ears to get some sunlight..

I’ve considered a DAP by Opus but I might be a Cayin loyalist for now.

Very nice! Pretty cable on the 650s. I tried to buy that Fostex amp several months ago through a listing on Amazon. The seller cancelled my order saying they were out of stock. Interestingly they had plenty on their website at a higher price. At that point I felt they did not deserve my money. Not the fault of Fostex itself.

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #4,562 of 6,262
Oct 26, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #4,563 of 6,262
Very nice! Pretty cable on the 650s. I tried to buy that Fostex amp several months ago through a listing on Amazon. The seller cancelled my order saying they were out of stock. Interestingly they had plenty on their website at a higher price. At that point I felt they did not deserve my money. Not the fault of Fostex itself.

The HP-V1 was the main reason why I sold off my desktop amps (Magni 2U, The Element, and Nuforce HA200). If you can get it at a good price, I highly recommend you snatch one up.

37897400416_08fec9c262_c.jpg

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #4,564 of 6,262
Oct 26, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4,565 of 6,262
The HP-V1 was the main reason why I sold off my desktop amps (Magni 2U, The Element, and Nuforce HA200). If you can get it at a good price, I highly recommend you snatch one up.

Too late now. Shortly after that, my husband gifted me with an xDuoo ta-03 tube amp which he no longer needed at work. He has gotten a black label for himself. I am extremely happy with the xDuoo.

Love your photo.

edited to say: why do I always find typos in posts that I made on my tablet when I come to my PCc? I wish they would make the font bigger for posting with a mobile app. I need to quit being lazy and just go to the computer to post ... every time.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #4,566 of 6,262
My current setup. Topping NX1s amp velcro'd to the Cayin N3. Nail polish used to mark the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore stereo channels so I can see them better in the dark. Gearties used for ear hooks that also provide strain relief and have the side effect of pushing more INTO your ears when pulled.

The left one is blue green but hard to see in the photo.

Nice setup. I love seeing all the photos of everyones gear. Cool idea about the nail polish!

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,567 of 6,262
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,571 of 6,262
I still prefer all full custom IEMs - no tips to mess with and never, never a problem trying to put the wrong one in!

Yeah. I'll likely do that eventually... when I can decide on an expensive set. Probably won't be for a few years though. I'm waiting to see what comes out of the next Houston meet. Maybe will hear something good. Having to demo IEM's by proxy is difficult.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #4,573 of 6,262
Hadn't thought about the PSB with the N3. That ought to be a pretty good pairing. How well does the N3 drive them?

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #4,574 of 6,262
That ought to be a pretty good pairing
To be short, yes. And to be amazing pairing, I seem to need a little more treble. It's probably not max that could be achieved, but the EQ I posted one page back seems to do a good job to treble. To achieve max, more serious EQ is needed, I think. Speaking about power, N3 gives good result with medium gain, never had to raise volume to the max. But, connecting to Denon PMA 425-R amp through line-out seems to make the sound a bit more crisp and clear. If you need more info, let me know.

Update. A bit softened treble might be the result of Cayin's sound sig, because I tested with speakers too.

Side notes. If anyone is interested to try my EQ or any other music settings, I highly suggest this song:

Every Yosi Horikawa's song is good not only in terms of music, but for testing sound quality as well, especially bass and treble. I've found this artist and others on Zeos sound demos, example included one page back.

Update2. Another important detail - N3 generates very little noise or no noise at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back