Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #4,501 of 6,262
Hi
Plz comparison n3 vs dragonfly red in term of SQ.
Tnx
I have both devices so I can give you a rough idea. I would say the N3 is a little bit smoother and the DFR is maybe a very little bit edgier and slightly livelier. I haven't used the DFR too much since the N3 burned in properly but fresh out of the box the DFR was better. In my opinion, there isn't too much difference in sound quality between the two, it would be more a matter of which features were most important to you. I found it a bit of a hassle tethering the DFR to my phone and I really only listen to locally stored music so the N3 is more convenient for me.

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #4,502 of 6,262
Hi MajesticSquirrel & MPNow,

I indeed perform several tests regarding this problem today and unluckily couldn't reproduce your problem.In this case, would you mind recording an video about this problem and sending to community@cayin.cn so that I can better analyse it and find a solution for you?

The problem was occuring on the Cayin device itself and not my PC. Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce this issue again so I won't be able to help any further. If I come across it again I'll try and see if I can reproduce it.

This is another issue I wanted to bring up to you that I can reproduce. When I'm searching for an artist by name using the library search feature, I notice that an artist starting with the string "." causes inaccurate search results when searching for a specific letter. To explain this in more detail, I have an artist named ".sinh" and whenever I search under the letter "s" I'm getting results from the start of the library instead of all of my "S" named artists. (See the following screenshot) I haven't noticed this happening with any other letter except S.I've already created a video of myself reproducing this. If you need me to email this information to the email address you mentioned to me earlier I can do that as well.

This is the start of my artist list before enabling the library search option:

upload_2017-10-21_12-22-40.png

And this is what it looks like after searching for the letter "s".

upload_2017-10-21_12-21-51.png

Oct 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #4,503 of 6,262
I would add that the N3 is a very finicky with cables. Neither of my N3s worked with the supplied cables other than for charging so I had to buy an Anker cable. I'd strongly recommend a true usb c otg cable like I linked in my other post rather than your adapter setup. It's not like the otg cable is uber expensive and would probably resolve your issue.
I’d attribute the problem more to poor quality cable. I replaced the cable that came with the unit with an Anker and problems went away. An Anker 3-pack was about $13 US

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #4,504 of 6,262
Unfortunately that is very unlikely to happen. We have searched but we couldn't find any MCU chip/solution provider that has the apt-X in receive mode in place, and we don't have the budget to sponsor a MCU chip to develop this routine for our DAP specially.

Thank you for your response (amazing customer support I must say). Regarding my below query, hopefully someone will tell me it's not a big deal so that I can quit torturing myself and get the darned N3 lol.

Hence my question to anyone who streams Tidal/Spotify/Frisky etc from their phone to the N3: How is the sound quality? Do you think that "receving in aptX" is anything that I should be concerned about?
Thanks!

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #4,505 of 6,262
.........so that I can quit torturing myself and get the darned N3 lol.

I don't use a phone with it.....but.....get the darned N3! Get a red one! You will love it!

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #4,506 of 6,262
Thank you for your response (amazing customer support I must say). Regarding my below query, hopefully someone will tell me it's not a big deal so that I can quit torturing myself and get the darned N3 lol.
I don't use a phone with it.....but.....get the darned N3! Get a red one! You will love it!

I agree. Just get one. You know you want to. All the cool kids have one… you do want to be cool don't you?

Oct 21, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,507 of 6,262
I agree. Just get one. You know you want to. All the cool kids have one… you do want to be cool don't you?

This is one cool cat...

cool cat.png

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #4,508 of 6,262
Unfortunately that is very unlikely to happen. We have searched but we couldn't find any MCU chip/solution provider that has the apt-X in receive mode in place, and we don't have the budget to sponsor a MCU chip to develop this routine for our DAP specially.

The downloaded product brief for the Qualcomm® CSR8645 isn't really clear about whether it can operate as a Transmitter, but it does work as a Bluetooth aptX Receiver, for consumer products like stereo headphones, speakers, speakerphones, headsets, and hands-free devices.

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #4,509 of 6,262

Punks! :pizza: (so many avatars now - thought I'd try pizza for a change lol)

Yes, I want to be one of the cool kids with the N3! And I know that I'd love it. The only thing holding me back is knowing that I'd want to also use it quite often in "phone streaming to N3" mode, and I would be a bit bummed if it didn't sound great in that mode. Btw, my Tidal subscription is the "high" quality level and not the lossless level, which I guess is at 320kbps, so possibly APTx is not even that important when streaming at 320kbps? Anyone??? Please help me become cool.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #4,510 of 6,262
The downloaded product brief for the Qualcomm® CSR8645 isn't really clear about whether it can operate as a Transmitter, but it does work as a Bluetooth aptX Receiver, for consumer products like stereo headphones, speakers, speakerphones, headsets, and hands-free devices.

It does support transmit as it shows the chip as a dual-mode and lists +9dBm transmitter power in the specs. Now for the real question, just because it supports apt-x doesn't mean it supports it in every possible mode. It would be nice to see more detail on the Apt-X modes supported as I can find nothing on that.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #4,512 of 6,262
How about some best pairings guys? What do you use most with your N3?

Me, Simgot 700 or Trinity Phantom Master seems to be my best pairings.
Wife loves her N3 with her Sennheiser CX 3.00. (You wont convince her a better in ear can be made).
Daughter is a Bluetooth fan and is currently running the KZ Zs5 v1 with their BT cable option.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #4,513 of 6,262
It does support transmit as it shows the chip as a dual-mode and lists +9dBm transmitter power in the specs. Now for the real question, just because it supports apt-x doesn't mean it supports it in every possible mode. It would be nice to see more detail on the Apt-X modes supported as I can find nothing on that.

If I don't have to provide company contact info, I'm thinking of contacting the Applications Engineering Group at Qualcomm, and get specific aptX info about the different chips, from the manufacturer.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,514 of 6,262
Oct 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #4,515 of 6,262
Did I miss a custom 2.1 firmware or it wasn't released yet?
You did not, still busy creating it, watch this space... Good news is we have a new genius on board to help with the coding, just need to find a spare hour or so to create the graphics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back