Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4,516 of 6,262
You did not, still busy creating it, watch this space... Good news is we have a new genius on board to help with the coding, just need to find a spare hour or so to create the graphics.

Very much looking forward to trying the custom firmware. I decided to wait for this new one.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,517 of 6,262
is there any feature difference in the custom firmware or is it mostly cosmetics? Is there a list of changes in the custom 2.0 somewhere?

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #4,518 of 6,262
How about some best pairings guys? What do you use most with your N3?

Me, Simgot 700 or Trinity Phantom Master seems to be my best pairings.
Wife loves her N3 with her Sennheiser CX 3.00. (You wont convince her a better in ear can be made).
Daughter is a Bluetooth fan and is currently running the KZ Zs5 v1 with their BT cable option.

As long as my zither is fragrant

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #4,519 of 6,262
that one is on my list of things to try but I am out of toy money right now.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #4,520 of 6,262
Oct 22, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #4,521 of 6,262
You did not, still busy creating it, watch this space... Good news is we have a new genius on board to help with the coding, just need to find a spare hour or so to create the graphics.

Any chance your code monkeys (meant in the best possible way) could create a quick util. just to un/repack the firmware? Wouldn't mind poking round with the gfx myself. Nice thing with the older Fiios was it was easy to crack into the firmware

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #4,522 of 6,262
Any chance your code monkeys (meant in the best possible way) could create a quick util. just to un/repack the firmware? Wouldn't mind poking round with the gfx myself. Nice thing with the older Fiios was it was easy to crack into the firmware

Capital idea! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #4,523 of 6,262

Genius is a bit much, you'll make me blush :blush:

With Linux it's only 3 or 4 command lines, I could write a script to automate it (but I don't know if that would be useful to many), I think it can work with a Mac after some work (I've given a walkthrough to gLer to try when he'll have time), but, unfortunately, the tools don't exist under Windows (or I haven't found it) and not being the genius gLer thinks I am, I'm not able to create it from scratch, sorry.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #4,524 of 6,262
The problem was occuring on the Cayin device itself and not my PC. Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce this issue again so I won't be able to help any further. If I come across it again I'll try and see if I can reproduce it.

This is another issue I wanted to bring up to you that I can reproduce. When I'm searching for an artist by name using the library search feature, I notice that an artist starting with the string "." causes inaccurate search results when searching for a specific letter. To explain this in more detail, I have an artist named ".sinh" and whenever I search under the letter "s" I'm getting results from the start of the library instead of all of my "S" named artists. (See the following screenshot) I haven't noticed this happening with any other letter except S.I've already created a video of myself reproducing this. If you need me to email this information to the email address you mentioned to me earlier I can do that as well.

This is the start of my artist list before enabling the library search option:

And this is what it looks like after searching for the letter "s".

It is ok. If you come across it again, feel free to let me know.
Actually,this is a normal searching result because the search will not create a new list with selected item from the search. It will only bring you to the location of searched item in your list, and in normal searching practice, punctuation is neglected. Therefore when you search for S in your list, system will jump to the First entry start with S in your list, and in this case, the search direct you to .Sinch which happens to be the position at the top of the list.If you try out searching function of other app or contact list in your mobile phone, you should end up with similar results.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #4,525 of 6,262
Hello Guys&Gals
Can you tell me please, is the usb port is reliable enough? Taker into account that that is only port for charging and for digital out. Planning to use is with mojo with cayin usb-coax cabel, and would like to know how careful should I be. On my previous cayin n5 usb slot was broken after almost a 6 month of careful table-use (as pc dac and for charge). Does anybody has any issues with usb slot on that device? Is it possible to stack it to mojo and put it in pocket/bag, or I need to create more safe environment for that pack, what is your opinion? Thank you!

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #4,526 of 6,262
It does support transmit as it shows the chip as a dual-mode and lists +9dBm transmitter power in the specs. Now for the real question, just because it supports apt-x doesn't mean it supports it in every possible mode. It would be nice to see more detail on the Apt-X modes supported as I can find nothing on that.

Some additional info about the CSR8645, from - https://bois083.wordpress.com/2016/10/08/playing-audio-files-with-csr8645-bluetooth-chip/
"The device is only capable of decoding the aptX signal received over Bluetooth, it doesn’t have an aptX encoder to encode the signal from its inputs. So in Transmit mode it cannot do Bluetooth aptX, and it can only send the signal from its analog inputs (it mentions also a digital mic input). If you connect it to the PC through USB, then it can act as a sound card and play the audio (but not to transmit it)."

So, it appears that whichever Bluetooth chip Cayin selected, is a different one, which can Transmit Bluetooth aptX to headphones / speakers / etc., but doesn't receive aptX, like the CSR8645 can.
Maybe Qualcomm doesn't make a single chip solution, which can Transmit & Receive Bluetooth aptX.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,527 of 6,262
Some additional info about the CSR8645, from - https://bois083.wordpress.com/2016/10/08/playing-audio-files-with-csr8645-bluetooth-chip/
"The device is only capable of decoding the aptX signal received over Bluetooth, it doesn’t have an aptX encoder to encode the signal from its inputs. So in Transmit mode it cannot do Bluetooth aptX, and it can only send the signal from its analog inputs (it mentions also a digital mic input). If you connect it to the PC through USB, then it can act as a sound card and play the audio (but not to transmit it)."

So, it appears that whichever Bluetooth chip Cayin selected, is a different one, which can Transmit Bluetooth aptX to headphones / speakers / etc., but doesn't receive aptX, like the CSR8645 can.
Maybe Qualcomm doesn't make a single chip solution, which can Transmit & Receive Bluetooth aptX.

Sounds likely and going to a 2 chip solution increases board space, power draw, circuit complexity and cost. Not a surprise that they opted out of that for an entry level DAP.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,529 of 6,262
way more versatile! I would give the N3 an edge in sound quality but the real differences come in what all you can do with an N3. The fact that it can be used as a USB DAC, a source for a mojo or other DAC, a remote to your phone with hibylink etc, just makes it a far more useful tool than any generation of ipod. that and the fact that it supports up to 256gb micro-sd so you can interchange cards much more easily than adding storage to the I-pod.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,530 of 6,262
way more versatile! I would give the N3 an edge in sound quality but the real differences come in what all you can do with an N3. The fact that it can be used as a USB DAC, a source for a mojo or other DAC, a remote to your phone with hibylink etc, just makes it a far more useful tool than any generation of ipod. that and the fact that it supports up to 256gb micro-sd so you can interchange cards much more easily than adding storage to the I-pod.

Don't think we'll find a lot of crapple fans in this thread. My view, chalk and cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back