Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 15, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #4,171 of 6,262
The N3 font is huge compared to my rockboxed Sans a Clip. Even though I can enlarge the font on the Sansa, it doesn't really help it much because rockbox puts so much info on an already tiny screen. I don't need a clock on the lock screen. It would just cause some unwanted battery draining (granted not much) that isn't necessary. I have a phone and watch, plus clocks on my walls to tell time.

My rockboxed xDuoo screen is not too bad. I installed a skin that has larger fonts on the playing screen plus minimal info while giving me the info that I need. It uses the sansa skins.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,172 of 6,262
I do wish the fonts could be made larger. Even my tiny little Ruizu A50 has larger more readable fonts.

However, if you think the N3 fonts are small, you should see the ones on my Sao Mai SM4. I use a small magnifying glass to use the menus and to choose my album to play. Truly. I will keep it though...40+ hours playing time. If only it had gapless play.

The Cayin N3 is my favorite DAP now that I have exchanged it. The power button works perfectly now. All the buttons are more responsive.
I am so glad that you exchanged. This is a nice little player and it is nice that now you get to experience that. Happy listening!

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #4,173 of 6,262
I am so glad that you exchanged. This is a nice little player and it is nice that now you get to experience that. Happy listening!

I was enjoying my music on the first one but it is very nice to have everything working smoothly now. The cable on this is working correctly as well.

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,175 of 6,262
This thing just wiped out a 128 gb ultra sandisk sd card with over 2000 flac files (which I stupidly didn't back up since 2015).

Be warned. I'm just hoping I can use a data recovery app to get them back.

How it happened;

A flac song I normally listen to froze the cayim every time I tried to play it. Hadn't had this problem before. The song was downloaded directly from bandcamp and loaded onto the sd. I took the sd card out of my phone and put it into this player about a month ago. I deleted the song because I thought it was corrupt. I reuploaded the flac song back to the player after downloading it again from bandcaml. I went to scan all files so it would be detected. It froze on 1860 songs scanned. I held down the power button to restart. The sd card was completely toasted afterwards. Windows says "please format this drive to use".

I bought a dap to avoid the hassel of lugging around a dac connected to my phone and this has only caused other complications. Ultra crappy.

I know the data recovery app will most likely be hopeless so now I'm going to have to spend the entire weekend reripping loads of cds to flac again and downloading crap from bandcamp. What a disappointment.

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #4,176 of 6,262
The sd card was completely toasted afterwards. Windows says "please format this drive to use".

Maybe you already did this but I would take the card out of the player, put it in a card reader and take a look at it in the computer. Maybe the card is fine and it is just that the database got messed up by that song. Seems like the track is defective.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #4,177 of 6,262
Like I said. When I put the card into the computer it says "please format to use".

Im doing a data recovery scan to see if I can save myself hours and hours of work to restore everything but I don't have high hopes.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #4,178 of 6,262
Ok I thought maybe the card was still in the N3 when Windows said that. I have had windows do that when nothing was wrong. I would be surprised if the N3 actually writes to the card or changes anything on it. Do you know if it can or does? That file seems really suspicious.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4,179 of 6,262
This thing just wiped out a 128 gb ultra sandisk sd card with over 2000 flac files (which I stupidly didn't back up since 2015).

Be warned. I'm just hoping I can use a data recovery app to get them back.

How it happened;

A flac song I normally listen to froze the cayim every time I tried to play it. Hadn't had this problem before. The song was downloaded directly from bandcamp and loaded onto the sd. I took the sd card out of my phone and put it into this player about a month ago. I deleted the song because I thought it was corrupt. I reuploaded the flac song back to the player after downloading it again from bandcaml. I went to scan all files so it would be detected. It froze on 1860 songs scanned. I held down the power button to restart. The sd card was completely toasted afterwards. Windows says "please format this drive to use".

I bought a dap to avoid the hassel of lugging around a dac connected to my phone and this has only caused other complications. Ultra ****ty.

I know the data recovery app will most likely be hopeless so now I'm going to have to spend the entire weekend reripping loads of cds to flac again and downloading crap from bandcamp. What a disappointment.
That is a sign that your card was failing more than anything else. If the card had a bad cell, it can cause issues like that.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,183 of 6,262
Does Replay Gain not work on the N3 yet or am I just not using it correctly? Ive tried setting it to ON and lowered the volume to 50 on a track. (Or album. I've tried both.) I then go select another album and raise the volume to 90 and come back to the original album and the volume is still set to 90. Do I have to write the metadata to the file or something? This is my first DAP that has the function so Im not sure how it is supposed to work. Can someone give me a step-by-step?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #4,184 of 6,262
Does Replay Gain not work on the N3 yet or am I just not using it correctly? Ive tried setting it to ON and lowered the volume to 50 on a track. (Or album. I've tried both.) I then go select another album and raise the volume to 90 and come back to the original album and the volume is still set to 90. Do I have to write the metadata to the file or something? This is my first DAP that has the function so Im not sure how it is supposed to work. Can someone give me a step-by-step?
You have to add replay gain to the metadata/tags using foobar2000 or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back