Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #4,006 of 6,262
Same here, I can hear the popping sounds only when audio is playing, first at the beginning of every song (I do not use the gapless option) and then randomly.
I have found the serial number too of my N3 written on the box: 515904227.
I am doing a small experiment these days as I have attached at both ends of the USB cable an signal shielding anti-interference magnet ring by TDK. Maybe will change something. I haven't had the time to test though but I will soon.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #4,013 of 6,262
It's a Hiby or Hiby style OS. Very similar to FiiO's on the X1, X3II, X5II, and the X1II and X3III. Very simple, yet it works very well.

I believe that the Cayin N3 (as well as the Shanling M1 & M2s) runs the HiBy Music Player software, on top of embedded Linux on an X1000 SOC processor.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #4,014 of 6,262
@CayinSupport - There is a little plastic sticker on the leather back of N3 - are we supposed to peel it off? Or doing so will damage the leather?

Mine is the same and starting to look messy now the corners are rolling up. I haven't pealed it off yet, like you I worry it will pull the surface of the Leatherette off, or leave adhesive behind.

Looking closely there are three lines of text on the sticker. Mostly Chinese writing and some English, Cayin's web address and 5v-2a. Repeating what's printed on the back above.

The earlier you remove it the less chances of leaving any thing behind, btw the sticker not that sticky so it won't do any damage

Likewise, I purchased my N3 in Europe (AdvancedMP3players) and it also had this sticker. Fortunately removal caused no damage or blemishes.

Hi all, firstly I need to apologize for my omission that I have said N3 with plastic sticker was only sold in China Mainland. However, I just confirmed that N3 sold aboard except Japan & China Taiwan all have that plastic sticker, so please don't worry about it. It is OK to remove the plastic sticker , which has no influence on warranty. Have a nice day!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 5, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #4,017 of 6,262
The Shanling M2s and the Cayin N3 seem like they are practically identical except for the sound quality and the knob/wheel vs. capacitive buttons. Can anyone tell me what the differences are beyond that? (If any?) I'm kind of going blind looking at specs. Does the dual-Bluetooth thing work the same on both also? (As in... allowing you to control your DAP playback from your phone AND also allowing you to play songs stored ON your phone through the m2s like you can on the N3?)

Does usbc-to-coax-to-DAC work on the m2s?

The reason I'm asking is the new m3s was just announced and I like Shanling's interface better. So I'm considering waiting to see if the M3S has sound equivalent to the N3 or fairly close. If it does I might have found my Goldilocks DAP.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #4,018 of 6,262
The Shanling M2s and the Cayin N3 seem like they are practically identical except for the sound quality and the knob/wheel vs. capacitive buttons. Can anyone tell me what the differences are beyond that? (If any?) I'm kind of going blind looking at specs. Does the dual-Bluetooth thing work the same on both also? (As in... allowing you to control your DAP playback from your phone AND also allowing you to play songs stored ON your phone through the m2s like you can on the N3?)

Does usbc-to-coax-to-DAC work on the m2s?

The reason I'm asking is the new m3s was just announced and I like Shanling's interface better. So I'm considering waiting to see if the M3S has sound equivalent to the N3 or fairly close. If it does I might have found my Goldilocks DAP.
I haven't used a Shanling device, but from my reading, both the N3 and the Shanling can do the exact same things. Both can be used as Bluetooth DACs and both can be controled with your phone using Hiby Link. The UI on both look to be almost identical, but are controlled differently (wheel/knob & captive buttons). I guess it's a matter of sound and that may be different, but they both use the same DAC chip so there's that too. Tough call, but I give the nod to the N3 since I own two of them. However, I am looking hard at the M3s as my gateway into Shanling DAPs.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #4,019 of 6,262
If you are using Music category for viewing your files, you'll need to update the music library. Go to the folder icon (music library) on the main screen and you should see an update the library option. However, under the music library, you should see TF card. If you select it, you should see all of you files without updating the library. You only need to update the library when using the music category for listening. Hope this helps.

ETA: If you plan to use music category exclusively, then you'll need to update the library each time you add or delete music from you card.

okay.
so I got it playing music off my SD card.
How do I get it to play albums completely?
Right now, it's just playing "songs", it sounds like a shuffle.
Except that I don't have the shuffle mode on.

The instruction manual doesn't offer any insight into creating proper playlists or ordering selections as complete albums and the like.
I figured out how to create a new playlist, but I don't know how to put music into it.
So now I have one Goldberg variation in a Playlist I made called Classical.

tricky.

Sounds nice though.... just weird jumping from Leo Kotke to Ito Emma.

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #4,020 of 6,262
okay.
so I got it playing music off my SD card.
How do I get it to play albums completely?
Right now, it's just playing "songs", it sounds like a shuffle.
Except that I don't have the shuffle mode on.

The instruction manual doesn't offer any insight into creating proper playlists or ordering selections as complete albums and the like.
I figured out how to create a new playlist, but I don't know how to put music into it.
So now I have one Goldberg variation in a Playlist I made called Classical.

tricky.

Sounds nice though.... just weird jumping from Leo Kotke to Ito Emma.

Use folder view. All your albums should be listed alphabetically just as they would be on your computer. You do have each album in its own folder? Just highlight the album you want to play and press the center button.

To use folder view choose the folder icon on the main screen. Then choose the card. Then the album. Then start the first track and the album will play through . You will want the gapless option on...it may be the default .. not sure. I have never made a playlist on any of my daps over the years as I am strictly an album listener.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back