Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #3,991 of 6,262
Hi, I just tried it several times and could not reproduce your problem. How often did it happen? Did it stop working at the same location?Have you done any special settings before?

Thank you for the reply. The strange library browsing issue occurs 100% of the time and capacitive scrolling always stops working on the 157th file.
Since my previous post I have increased the number of tracks in the folder so it now stops on a different track, however it is consistently number 157 in the folder.

I have not used any special settings and have only upgraded the firmware twice (factory > 1.2 > 2.1).
The card is a fresh 200gb Sandisk formatted in EX-FAT and has not been used on any devices besides Windows 10 for mp3 transfers to use on the N3.
The file tree structure contains 28 folders (01 Favourites / 02 High-res / A-Z).

I've also noticed the N3 structures file names in a different way to Windows, numerical files appear at the end of the file tree rather than the start.
(e.g. '10CC - I'm not in love' appears at the very end of the directory rather than the start / 'A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran' appears at the end of the A section).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #3,992 of 6,262
Hello
I am new to this but could any one give me a comparison between Shanling M2S and N3 please? I listen to n3 before it sounds amazing but when i look at the build quality I am not sure if it can last long for me given that I am not really taking good care of my players and I am using them mostly in the gym. But M2s seems like has a better quality the body and gui seem to be better than n3. I read some reviews and they are mostly saying that N3 is better than M2S sound quality wise but is it something that an unprofessional listener like me would notice the difference? I have a pair of audio technica m50X. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,993 of 6,262
Hello
I am new to this but could any one give me a comparison between Shanling M2S and N3 please? I listen to n3 before it sounds amazing but when i look at the build quality I am not sure if it can last long for me given that I am not really taking good care of my players and I am using them mostly in the gym. But M2s seems like has a better quality the body and gui seem to be better than n3. I read some reviews and they are mostly saying that N3 is better than M2S sound quality wise but is it something that an unprofessional listener like me would notice the difference? I have a pair of audio technica m50X. Thanks.

Do you want to please your eyes or your ears?

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #3,994 of 6,262
Do you want to please your eyes or your ears?
Of course sound quality is more important but as I said durability is also matters for me. I want something that last at least two or three years. I tested n3 but have not done it with M2S so i cannot compare them. Do you have N3 for a long time? Could you give me your opinion about its durability please?

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,995 of 6,262
Of course sound quality is more important but as I said durability is also matters for me. I want something that last at least two or three years. I tested n3 but have not done it with M2S so i cannot compare them. Do you have N3 for a long time? Could you give me your opinion about its durability please?
FWIW - my opinion only - design and build quality of N3 is very solid. I expect mine to last years and years. Or until the battery gives out hehe

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,996 of 6,262
FWIW - my opinion only - design and build quality of N3 is very solid. I expect mine to last years and years. Or until the battery gives out hehe

Ditto

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,997 of 6,262
I was supposed to be on the N3 tour originally but it seems to have petered out. After all the positive talk about it, I'm looking forward to a direct side-by-side comparison if I get the chance.

I have to say I was looking forward to it when the X3-III was still a rumor but now that it is a reality not so much. The X3-III is selling for $50.00 more than the N3 in Canada and spec for spec they are pretty close. The X3-III has a slight edge in power but the N3 has the edge in battery life and the feature differences are well known. Even if the X3-III does sound better which is subjective it won't be by much I am sure and not enough to justify the higher price. Just my two cents.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,998 of 6,262
Agreed. Just keep it in the silicone sleeve or pleather case, or if going to the gym keep it in a small hard shell case if your going to be bumping it around. A little bit of care goes a long way. None of these products are designed to take real punishment, nor should they.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,001 of 6,262
Regarding my poping sound and noise issue when using N3 as DAC.

• N3 firmware number& serial number
v. 2.1 / serial no. 515900980​

• USB TypeC cable used in the connection: stock cable in N3 package? Third party cable (please provide brand name)
Stock cable​

• Windows OS information: Window 7/8/8.1/10? Version number? (we know 1607 and 1703 might have compatibility problem)
Windows 7 professional SP1​

• PC hardware information: just rough data about CPU and RAM size
Dell Laptop Intel Coe i5-2401M @ 2.3 GHz / RAM 8 GB.​

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,002 of 6,262
  • N3 firmware number& serial number
  • USB TypeC cable used in the connection: stock cable in N3 package? Third party cable (please provide brand name)
  • Windows OS information: Window 7/8/8.1/10? Version number? (we know 1607 and 1703 might have compatibility problem)
  • PC hardware information: just rough data about CPU and RAM size
My N3 is on 2.1 firmware with serial number 515904673...I think
I'm using stock cayin cable which works fine for transferring files
I'm on W10 latest updates, using the new usb audio driver in the creator's update

new i7 Laptop: Very usable, only seems to be minor popping between changing songs or skipping songs. I have usb c ports available here to test later.

i5 2500k Desktop PC [5.0ghz watercooled with 8gb ram] : Major popping on the peak of every waveform, using the default windows drivers or the cayin usb drivers. It has a CPU and GPU overclock, using only processor multipliers on an unlocked processor, with voltages. RAM and front bus frequencies are untouched, and its stable maxing itself out on PUBG at 2.5k resolution. It is on USB 3.0 ports I would imagine, since its fairly old but it is a usb 3.0 port of some type. Works 24/7 with my little soundblaster DAC, and works without any popping on my schiit modi 2.

Would using a usb 3.0 vs a usb 3.1 or newer port cause an issue?
Sadly I also have the pop sound in DAC mode, as I use the N3 mainly in DAC mode. The pop sound can be heard at the beginning of each song but mostly it is random.
  • N3 firmware is 2.1
  • USB TypeC to USB TypeC cable from Anker (Cayin cable it is not working properly meaning Win 10 doesn't recognize the N3)
  • Windows 10 Home x64 1703
  • PC hardware information: Asus ROG GL502VT gaming laptop (i7-6700HQ, Intel® HM170 Chipset, 8 GB DDR4 2133MHz, 128GB SATA3 SSD + 1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM)
  • Headphones: Audio-Technica WS1100iS Solid Bass

Hi, thank you for your information.When click on power button to lock screen and light up the screen, can you hear the pop sound with N3 as a DAC? Besides "pop sound can be heard at the beginning of each song but mostly it is random", can you hear the pop sound in another situations?

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #4,003 of 6,262
There's a video review in the X3III that talks a lot about the Bluetooth. It's worth the watch, but it's not very good. Maybe just a touch better than the X1II per the reviewer. The N3's Bluetooth has been excellent for me and has connected fine and stayed connected to the speakers I use. Also stays connected to my phone when using Hiby Link.

Guess, I'll pass on the X3-III then. Thank you.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #4,004 of 6,262
Hi, thank you for your information.When click on power button to lock screen and light up the screen, can you hear the pop sound with N3 as a DAC? Besides "pop sound can be heard at the beginning of each song but mostly it is random", can you hear the pop sound in another situations?

I don't seem to get popping in DAC mode when powering on/off, on my desktop. I don't seem to be able to trigger it other than waveforms of audio comes on...the popping only happens when audio is playing. It doesnt pop when idle in DAC mode or anything.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #4,005 of 6,262
Thank you for the reply. The strange library browsing issue occurs 100% of the time and capacitive scrolling always stops working on the 157th file.
Since my previous post I have increased the number of tracks in the folder so it now stops on a different track, however it is consistently number 157 in the folder.

I have not used any special settings and have only upgraded the firmware twice (factory > 1.2 > 2.1).
The card is a fresh 200gb Sandisk formatted in EX-FAT and has not been used on any devices besides Windows 10 for mp3 transfers to use on the N3.
The file tree structure contains 28 folders (01 Favourites / 02 High-res / A-Z).

I've also noticed the N3 structures file names in a different way to Windows, numerical files appear at the end of the file tree rather than the start.
(e.g. '10CC - I'm not in love' appears at the very end of the directory rather than the start / 'A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran' appears at the end of the A section).

We just reproduced this problem. It maybe system problem.Keep holding the capacitive button may result in that system stop working for a while.You can release that button for 2s to resume its work. It is not a bug. The N3 MCU needs calculation time.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back