Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,002 of 6,262
Lest new readers think *all* the original cables are wonky, I'll reiterate that my cable works fine. Charges fast (using Samsung 2.0A charger) or slow (using USB-2 from the computer), transfers data, and allows the N3 to operate as an external DAC. No issues. Just sayin'. :ok_hand:

I wasn't able to get the DAC function through the existing cable, but I didn't take the time to see if there are any drivers to install. Still chances are as with anything, @gLer you may have gotten a defective one or user error is in play. don't jump to conclusions

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,003 of 6,262
Yeah first country bar I went to in St Louis there was a live band. I asked my friend so is this country or is it western music. his reply, "well if he's singing about a woman it's country, if he's singing about his combine harvester it's western. If he's singing about a woman riding a combine harvester then you got Country and Western." Yee Haw!!!

ha, nice

Was the stage behind chicken wire like at Bob's Country Bunker in the movie (Blues Brothers), to prevent the beer bottles from directly hitting the band when thrown?

blues brothers.jpg

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #3,004 of 6,262
ha, nice

Was the stage behind chicken wire like at Bob's Country Bunker in the movie (Blues Brothers), to prevent the beer bottles from directly hitting the band when thrown?

No this place was classier, no chicken wire, just saw dust on the floor, a mechanical bull and a 500 pound bouncer named Tiny!

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #3,005 of 6,262
Can anyone tell me how the N3 handles pause and resume on music and podcasts? Is there a sleep function so that play resumes at the point where you stop listening?

I'm also having trouble finding a case for sale in the UK. Anyone know where to get them?

Cheers

Just a bump. First and only time I'll bump this post mods, hopefully someone can help.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,008 of 6,262
@Andykong or anyone who can read Chinese language... When I open M3U Dropper language is set to Chinese by default and I need a to have it in English. is there a simple way to change the language? a picture or two would be helpful

Install Google Translate on your phone (or another phone, tablet, etc). Then use the app and it will translate everything your camera 'sees' on the screen. Find the language setting, change to English, done.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #3,009 of 6,262
I wasn't able to get the DAC function through the existing cable, but I didn't take the time to see if there are any drivers to install. Still chances are as with anything, @gLer you may have gotten a defective one or user error is in play. don't jump to conclusions
My cable works fine *most* of the time, so I'm ok, but still bought three spare third party cables off Amazon for the times the Cayin cable conks out. Judging by the number of issues reported on this forum and the fact that a replacement cable solves them, I don't think any conclusions have been jumped to :wink:

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,010 of 6,262
Given that Cayin has been so responsive on other issues and gone to great lengths to continue to improve and and make the N3 what we want vs other unnamed manufacturers who ignore their customers and supply NO fixes to issue; I am quit willing to fork out $4 to solve this issue on my own. Just my opinion. Of course I have not had any issues yet but I'll just get another cable if I do.

no biggy.jpg

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,011 of 6,262
Given that Cayin has been so responsive on other issues and gone to great lengths to continue to improve and and make the N3 what we want vs other unnamed manufacturers who ignore their customers and supply NO fixes to issue; I am quit willing to fork out $4 to solve this issue on my own. Just my opinion. Of course I have not had any issues yet but I'll just get another cable if I do.

Agreed 100%

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #3,013 of 6,262
Can you clarify. I thought the line out , while sharing the same 3.5mm port, came from an output prior to the headphone circuit. Is the line out really just the headphone amp output on high volume?
From what I understand it's a discrete amp for line out but set to max volume (i.e. not variable). You then adjust volume on the connected amp.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,015 of 6,262
Right. The line-out is an OPA1652 amp; the headphone output is an OPA1622 amp.

nifty, I'm curious to see why they choose a separate amp to handle the line out, rather than running straight from the dac output... or is that standard.

The data sheet for the AK4490 specifies that it has a variable adjustment to digital volume out, so why is there a need for a discrete amp for the line out function

Non the less, I'll be doing some line out comparisons later today, to see how that opAmp functions when I feed it through my pico power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back