Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #2,881 of 6,262
It's a common flac file trick on many ChiFi players. Not saying it will work on the N3, but it's something easy to try.

Update: I saw you tried it to no avail.

Anyways, I agree with riffrafff - anything that starts with '.' on Linux is asking for trouble, because leading '.' means it's hidden. So my money's on that.
Thank you to both of you and riffrafff very good to know that kind of Linux related problems.
I tried everything with those files (checked all the spelling on the folders and individual songs, deleted the "." between the number of the song and its name, nothing works)
In Music Library>TF card the folder appears on the N3 but when i click on it it says "no music!"
In Artist it doesn't even show up (and i updated the library).
After a few hours on it i give up with those files (both downloaded on the same site...maybe that's the problem...will try to find them elsewhere)
Thank you for the help, I very much appreciate it

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2,882 of 6,262
@gLer HI, I am back again, got my N3 replaced and got a new one, although its a black one because they were out of stock for Cyan . Out of the box it was charged till 88%, charged to 100% without any issue or any led problem. Today, the battery was down to 44% and started charging it with ASUS nexus 7 charger and OnePlus 3 cable. Charging started @12.47 PM and ended at 3.41 PM, it was almost 3 hours to get charged from 44% to 100%. Is this because of the 2nd charge and device is new, or this is something i should be worried about and test further?

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #2,883 of 6,262
Thank you to both of you and riffrafff very good to know that kind of Linux related problems.
I tried everything with those files (checked all the spelling on the folders and individual songs, deleted the "." between the number of the song and its name, nothing works)
In Music Library>TF card the folder appears on the N3 but when i click on it it says "no music!"
In Artist it doesn't even show up (and i updated the library).
After a few hours on it i give up with those files (both downloaded on the same site...maybe that's the problem...will try to find them elsewhere)
Thank you for the help, I very much appreciate it

Bugger :frowning2:

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #2,884 of 6,262
@gLer HI, I am back again, got my N3 replaced and got a new one, although its a black one because they were out of stock for Cyan . Out of the box it was charged till 88%, charged to 100% without any issue or any led problem. Today, the battery was down to 44% and started charging it with ASUS nexus 7 charger and OnePlus 3 cable. Charging started @12.47 PM and ended at 3.41 PM, it was almost 3 hours to get charged from 44% to 100%. Is this because of the 2nd charge and device is new, or this is something i should be worried about and test further?
The Nexus charger puts out less than 1.3A max. That is the reason for your slow charge rate. You need a 2A or greater charger to get the faster charge rate. I routinely run mine down to 20-25% and I get it fully charged within 2-2.5 hours max using a higher amperage charger.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #2,885 of 6,262
Congrats. Likely your charging source doesn't have that much power. Then again it does take a few hours to get to full charge so I wouldn't be too worried. Keep it topped up regularly and enjoy the music! :)

PS. What Doc said...

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #2,886 of 6,262
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,887 of 6,262
The Nexus charger puts out less than 1.3A max. That is the reason for your slow charge rate. You need a 2A or greater charger to get the faster charge rate. I routinely run mine down to 20-25% and I get it fully charged within 2-2.5 hours max using a higher amperage charger.
This charger outputs 2 amps (Nexus 7 tablet), my oneplus 3 charges fine, full charge in 2.5 hours. This charger is rated output 2 amps.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,888 of 6,262
This charger outputs 2 amps (Nexus 7 tablet), my oneplus 3 charges fine, full charge in 2.5 hours. This charger is rated output 2 amps.
It may say it, but I'll bet it's not going all the way to 2A+. I just finished charging my N3 with a (real) 2A+ charger...1:52 time, from 32 to 100%. Some of those device specific adapters have internal detection if you are using it to charge a "compatible" device (for it's intended design). If it doesn't detect a certain resistance or signal, it goes into a slow charge "safe" mode. I have a Lenovo "2A" charger here that does just that - it'll only put out 500ma if you don't use it on a Lenovo device.

Others will provide 5.2v at 2A, but only allow 1A at 5.0v. These were the early designs of "rapid charging". The newer Qualcomm "Quick Charge 2.0/3.0" actually uses the same (lower) current, but charges at a higher voltage.

Use a universal charger, like one of the Anker PowerIQ chargers, designed for 5.0v at 2.5A and it'll charge at a faster rate.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,889 of 6,262
Just to give an idea of the problem:
i tried to load an AC/DC album on the N3 via a sd card reader.
Once it's done i want to check if the file plays on the sd card from the computer (Mac) by clicking the preview icon that lets you play the music without opening any audio program.
And instead of AC/DC it plays a song from Madness (one of the previous albums that didn't load earlier) and it's like that for all the files in that folder: the name is from AC/DC's songs but the music is from Madness.)
And of course, when i look for those albums i can't find them on the N3 (not even listen to Madness with an AC/DC tag...)
It looks like i can't load files anymore...

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,890 of 6,262
Once it's done i want to check if the file plays on the sd card from the computer (Mac) by clicking the preview icon that lets you play the music without opening any audio program.
And instead of AC/DC it plays a song from Madness (one of the previous albums that didn't load earlier) and it's like that for all the files in that folder: the name is from AC/DC's songs but the music is from Madness.)
Total Madness :ksc75smile:

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2,891 of 6,262
Total Madness :ksc75smile:

madness.jpg

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,892 of 6,262

It could also be the cable. Some cables trick a smart charger into thinking it's connected in USB mode, which then changes to 500mA charging mode. And that would take a loooong time to charge.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,893 of 6,262
And of course, when i look for those albums i can't find them on the N3 (not even listen to Madness with an AC/DC tag...)

That almost sounds like something could be corrupted. The card, the database, etc. The Rockbox database can get corrupted for a variety of reasons (often special characters in the file name or tag that confuse it like /, %, etc. Then the database chokes on that file and it starts doing weird stuff.

That's why I use folder browsing almost exclusively.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,894 of 6,262
That almost sounds like something could be corrupted. The card, the database, etc. The Rockbox database can get corrupted for a variety of reasons (often special characters in the file name or tag that confuse it like /, %, etc. Then the database chokes on that file and it starts doing weird stuff.

I've been using folder browsing for all my DAPs until now...I just can't bother with the quirkiness of how each different DAP treats my files in it's own quirky way.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,895 of 6,262

yep... i think i'll formate the sd card one of these days (to say the truth i took this one that was in my Blackberry first, didn't formate it as it was already ex-Fat, just deleted anything but the music...)
I read somewhere that Mac put in the cache memory the transfered files (maybe it explains the AC/DC Madness thing... my hackintosh sometimes do strange things when it comes to usb port too... as you know i'm not an expert so maybe i'm just rambling )
By folder browsing what do you mean exactly? Organising by folders and not just throwing files on a card?

So to see the extent of Madness:
i take an ACDC file (listen to it, it's Highway to Hell), i put it on the N3 and listen to it (it's House of fun by Madness), i re-transfer this file to my computer and it's now House of fun playing with Highway to Hell's tag.
I found a way to transform ACDC to Madness!!!
2 things:
1- the computer is choke with the Madness transfers i tried yesterday (but i cleared the caches...)
2- the N3 is choked with the Madness transfers.

I stop annoying you all with this (this time i swear), i'll formate later.
Thanks anyway for the help :relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back