Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #2,731 of 6,262
Hello everyone!

I have since yesterday the cayin n3 and I have a problem ... The unit makes a lot of noise when it is playing music. At first it is very audible, even they get to hear small "pop" of interference. After some tracks the noise disappears almost completely. This happens every time I turn it on for the first time ...

Have any of you had any similar experience?

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,732 of 6,262
Hi everyone i have had a N3 for a few days now (your enthusiasm made me buy it, and it's really great!)
My first surprise was that it fell very short of being able to drive decently my Sennheiser hd600 (it has some decent amount of details without an extra amp when on H gain, but obviously an amp gives it a decisive kick).
The bluetooth works very well, the Hiby app is nice too (update went on like a breeze).
I have no major complaint, maybe if it could be possible to change the font size and the info scrolling speed (without glasses some little characters can be very hard to decipher, and on some long info tracks the screen dims out before it has scrolled maybe in a future update?)
If Cayin opened it up to Rockbox team the N3 could become a little DAP that may be remembered like the great Sansa Clip+ is (even if it's already a great DAP i'd really be curious to see what the possibility to switch to a rockboxed version could achieve)

The fact that it doesn't drive your HD 600's well isn't too surprising, those headphones sound tend to sound pretty lifeless without quite a bit of power, more than most DAP's put out.
You should be able to change the length of the screen time out in the settings

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,733 of 6,262
I'm well aware of that difficulty to drive the HD600 and i was saying that i expected the N3 to perform even worse with those :wink:
For the screen time-out i changed it to 1 mn, but i'd prefer to have a larger font size+quickest scrolling speed of track info (so that i could go back to the 30sec dim out screen)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,734 of 6,262
I am waiting for N3 to arrive. Have anyone tried to compare sound quality of N3 as wireless dac and as USB DAC? While connected through HiBy Link can I play songs from my mobile as well as control songs on N3?

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,735 of 6,262
I am waiting for N3 to arrive. Have anyone tried to compare sound quality of N3 as wireless dac and as USB DAC? While connected through HiBy Link can I play songs from my mobile as well as control songs on N3?

As it does not receive apt-x data, usb DAC is supposed to have better sound than BT DAC.

You can't stream for your mobile if you are using HiBy link, you have to disable hiby link on both devices.

Jul 2, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,736 of 6,262
USB DAC will almost always sound better than wireless, especially when you're listening to high-res files and DSD. You lose the advantages of high-res music over wireless (with or without aptX), and the N3 can't output DSD over Bluetooth.

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,738 of 6,262
Mine did that with the early firmware. The latest beta seems to have corrected whatever caused it. I highly recommend you update if you haven't already as the hibylink is pretty sweet.

okay, yeah i haven't updated to the newest firmware yet but I will definitely do that and see if it helps. I'm really intrigued by Hibylink. it seems like an awesome addition and will definitely make searching my music easier while driving

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,739 of 6,262
I do not have DSD, mostly 16bit FLAC along with some 24bit audio. Anyway I am not going to use as wireless DAC.
Don't get me wrong, the N3 will still sound great as a wireless DAC just don't compare it to wired quality. Two different uses. Very useful to have a wireless DAC - especially if you want to stream Spotify or Tidal to a different location.

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,740 of 6,262
Out of interest, how does Spotify over BT compare to Spotify wired from your laptop sound-wise? Which headphones are you using?
It sounds much better, but I don't listen directly from laptop. Normal setup is Modi Multibit and then either Asgard II to Massdrop Foster TH-x00 or Bottlehead Crack and Sennheiser HD600. I am using 1More triples for portable. My comments were based on using laptop to N3 to 1More

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,741 of 6,262
HibbyLink works perfectly on my device :

- Motorola G 3G with the latest Lineage OS build (which is 7.1.2 and not 7.1.1 as mentionned by @jms74)

Thank you for this update Cayin, it's a really great feature !

Thanks for correcting me.
But to me it doesn't work on any of the 3 devices, it forces closes the hibby app upon connecting to the n3

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2,742 of 6,262
I am only interested in sound.How does it compare to n3 in terms of sound.I know c3 is a lot cheaper but it also launched at $150.

I never had any qualms with the C3 sound quality. I think the N3 is a match for it and might be a little better in soundstage but if your only concern is sound quality I don't think the C3 is a bad choice. I do think if the UI is still prone to lockups it may be an exercise in frustration though so I might ask if that has been resolved in one of the C3 threads before I decided to purchase one.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #2,743 of 6,262
I wonder how Cayin could support RockBox for the N3, while HiBy is their partner for the Music Player software?
Seems like it would have to be an independent, customer led project.

Might be an either / or choice too on hibylink or Rockbox. I'm not thinking Hiby is likely to license their tech for Hibylink to Rockbox.

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #2,744 of 6,262
Of course Hiby wouldn't share their tech for free (at least i would understand their point of view), but the Rockbox teams we have seen at work on other hardware are more than able to use the N3 hardware without any help from Hiby.
And if Cayin were to open their N3 to such an initiative i'm pretty sure we'd see an independent (costumer-led as said previously by DBaldock9) firmware and even an app (at least an Android one) with something like Hibylink within a few months...
Open your hardware to the customers and just watch what people can do with it, internet got talent :)

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #2,745 of 6,262
If Hiby has patents on any of the mechanism for Hibylink, it wouldn't be a matter of if somebody could do something similar, it would be a matter of cost to license the patented components IF Hiby was even willing to do so. I wouldn't expect it would be free or even cheap, but depending on attitudes at Hiby, it might get you into a legal battle for patent infringement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back