Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 5, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #2,761 of 6,262
Ugh...sorry, I'm not one for Rockbox. Every device and theme I've seen running it looks like an 8th grader laid out the interface - absolutely no sense of design aesthetics. In my opinon, the N3 is perfect as it is. I don't need Bluetooth, remote control, streaming, or themes. It's a small, cheap device that sounds great, has a good screen which already looks good, and is bug free. I drop a big card loaded with FLAC files, plug in a set of IEMs, and stuff it into a pocket. Cayin's tuning of the hardware and interface layout is more than sufficient, minus the one request I'd have of starting the Category view on Artist instead of Songs (or remembering the last category chosen or an option for the user to choose which item to start Category view on).

If anything, somebody should go Rockbox a Fiio X1-II and help them get the bugs out of their OS.

Keep in mind there are dozens upon dozens of Rockbox themes that can be used to customize the layout.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #2,762 of 6,262
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,763 of 6,262
Keep in mind there are dozens upon dozens of Rockbox themes that can be used to customize the layout.
Yes, I know...seen and tried around two dozen of better ones...still, I have seen better done with a Win95 based copy of PBrush. RB may be a great product for some things like a Clip that lack features, but not for something that has a good (full-time) dev team like Cayin does with their products. I say the same about GiMP, great for those who are hobbying around and have no need for something like Photoshop, but it's horrible interface, kludgy layout, and chunky performance makes editing a full shoot campaign impossible. Hell, I'd rather use Elements than GiMP any day (coming from a person who works in Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign, and Capture 1).

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2,764 of 6,262
You're right. Rockbox is good for those players that has lack of firmware features or has a stock firmware flaws (like a xduoo x3, fiio x1ii, etc). With rockbox you will be unable to play hi-res, drop bt functions (hiby link etc)...
So for all hiby-music based devices rockbox just a "toy" but not a good os alternative.
(anyway, rockbox is being porting right now to similar player - agptek rocker - by Marcin Bukat (wodz) and from there can be easily ported to other x1000 linux-based players
well, Rockbox was very popular among ipod users and i don't think you can talk about stock firmware flaw when it comes to Apple( at least they know what they get and usually buy it for that reason).
The possibility of a dual boot doesn't prohibit you to use the stock firmware, you just have access in 2 clicks to a fun-box where you can tinker with the bass, the trebbles like in no other firmwares.
And if you want to go back to a more classic OS you turn it off and on and voilà! your N3 is on stock OS (no big deal)
The agptek Rocker is a very good news, i'll keep an eye on wodz!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #2,765 of 6,262
Yes, I know...seen and tried around two dozen of better ones...still, I have seen better done with a Win95 based copy of PBrush. RB may be a great product for some things like a Clip that lack features, but not for something that has a good (full-time) dev team like Cayin does with their products. I say the same about GiMP, great for those who are hobbying around and have no need for something like Photoshop, but it's horrible interface, kludgy layout, and chunky performance makes editing a full shoot campaign impossible. Hell, I'd rather use Elements than GiMP any day (coming from a person who works in Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign, and Capture 1).
Agree with Doc on this one. The N3 is well designed and needs Little by way of features. That said I think it does need some polish - the English language elements leave a lot to be desired, and I find the graphics and animations to be inconsistent at best. Admittedly that's a personal opinion, but it's easy enough to make customization tools available. Until then @XVortex andyself will make custom firmware freely available for anyone who wants it. Version 2 custom firmware coming soon!

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,766 of 6,262
Ugh...sorry, I'm not one for Rockbox. Every device and theme I've seen running it looks like an 8th grader laid out the interface - absolutely no sense of design aesthetics. In my opinon, the N3 is perfect as it is. I don't need Bluetooth, remote control, streaming, or themes. It's a small, cheap device that sounds great, has a good screen which already looks good, and is bug free. I drop a big card loaded with FLAC files, plug in a set of IEMs, and stuff it into a pocket. Cayin's tuning of the hardware and interface layout is more than sufficient, minus the one request I'd have of starting the Category view on Artist instead of Songs (or remembering the last category chosen or an option for the user to choose which item to start Category view on).

If anything, somebody should go Rockbox a Fiio X1-II and help them get the bugs out of their OS.
Like i said: it's not for everyone, and the fact that Rockbox exists for the N3 doesn't mean you'll have to use it.
It's good to have the possibility to test it (see if there are improvements since the Sansa Clip port, and we talk about 2 very different hardwares...when you see what you could do with a Sansa clip, with a Linux based N3 we could be very surprised) and discard it if you don't like it.
I understand that you wouldn't use it, but would you be annoyed if it existed as an alternative?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #2,767 of 6,262
Hi everyone,
I just received my N3 today and so far I'm very happy about the sound and UI. However, there's one problem. With sensitive IEMs (I've tried IE80 and SE535), I can hear a clear background hiss, which can get annoying in quiet environments.
Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution?
Thanks!!!

Try turning the gain off or down to its lowest setting. I suspect you are at the default which is the mid setting.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,768 of 6,262
Hi everyone,
I just received my N3 today and so far I'm very happy about the sound and UI. However, there's one problem. With sensitive IEMs (I've tried IE80 and SE535), I can hear a clear background hiss, which can get annoying in quiet environments.
Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution?
Thanks!!!

I hear it too on my campfire vegas. It occasionally gets noticeable, but usually when music is playing at volume I cant hear it. I am not sure there is any solution. I use my n3 mainly as a transport to the mojo, and its clean that way.

Try turning the gain off or down to its lowest setting. I suspect you are at the default which is the mid setting.

I get the same background hiss. I hear it at the same loudness regardless of what the volume or gain is set to. I tested it specifically by turning the volume all the way down, hiss level did not change. Only happens during actual playback, but is not related to noise in the tracks themselves. I only really hear it on my vegas, my slightly less sensitive iems dont pick it up much or at all.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,769 of 6,262
I hear it too on my campfire vegas. It occasionally gets noticeable, but usually when music is playing at volume I cant hear it. I am not sure there is any solution. I use my n3 mainly as a transport to the mojo, and its clean that way.

I get the same background hiss. I hear it at the same loudness regardless of what the volume or gain is set to. I tested it specifically by turning the volume all the way down, hiss level did not change. Only happens during actual playback, but is not related to noise in the tracks themselves. I only really hear it on my vegas, my slightly less sensitive iems dont pick it up much or at all.

Could be a super sensitive IEM too I guess. The OP mentions having just gotten the player and it does come factory preset to medium gain so still might be worth a shot to see if that helps.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,770 of 6,262

Well, I agree that the N3 is convenient for dropping in a shirt pocket, and that it sounds good - but I've actually been enjoying it even more, after installing and using the HiBy Link app on my phone.

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #2,771 of 6,262
Agree with Doc on this one. The N3 is well designed and needs Little by way of features. That said I think it does need some polish - the English language elements leave a lot to be desired, and I find the graphics and animations to be inconsistent at best. Admittedly that's a personal opinion, but it's easy enough to make customization tools available. Until then @XVortex andyself will make custom firmware freely available for anyone who wants it. Version 2 custom firmware coming soon!

I am firmly in this camp. @XVortex & @gLer tweaks make a very good s/w and interface a damn good s/w and interface. I'm waiting for the V2 like a child for his birthday.

child bday.jpg

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,773 of 6,262
So much for that thought. I haven't had that issue with mine so cant be much help with solving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back