Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,791 of 6,262
I have just received Cayin N3 couple of days back. Can anyone tell how to flash this custom firmware over Official 2.0 version? Is it possible to restore to official firmware? If yes then how.

Thanks
Simple really - extract the update.upt file from the zip file in the download link. Copy the update.upt file to the root directory of your mSD card, then go to Sytem setting and select 'System upgrade'. Firmware will be flashed and N3 will reboot.

To reflash the official Cayin firmware copy Cayin's update.upt file to your mSD card and repeat.

PS. The custom firmware download does not include the HiBy Link app. You'll need to download that separately.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,792 of 6,262
Drop everything, N3 Custom Firmware V2.0 by XVortex and gLer is here!

DISCLAIMER: Cayin and its distributors do not warrant support for custom firmware at this stage. While we've tested V2.0 extensively and found it to work 100% on our players, should you experience any problems or need to send your N3 for any unrelated fix, please re-flash the device with the official Cayin V2.0 firmware.

It gives us great pleasure to present you with V2.0 of our custom firmware for the Cayin N3, the 'little DAP that can'. Many of you have already downloaded and use our previous release (V1.2). The latest version includes ALL the new features of Cayin's official V2.0 firmware, including HiBy Link support, PLUS:
  • All-new CALM look-and-feel, including wallpapers and visual elements in three different colors (blue, bronze, black)
  • All-new startup and shutdown animations
  • Consistent UI elements
  • Fixed and tweaked English, French and Russian messages and strings (spelling/grammar)
  • Stripped unnecessary resources improving speed and responsiveness
  • PLUS a hidden 'naughty' Easter egg (let's see who can find it first).
Sorry guys (and gals) but the visual 'theme' of V1.2 split opinions and made the N3 unsuitable for many work or family environments (yes, the famous 'nipple' wallpaper is no more), but we think you'll find V2.0 all the more appealing and 'calming', for want of a better word, with fewer distractions. That said, if you really, really need your nipple fix, go find the egg! :wink:

Screens below. You can download Custom Firmware V2.0 here: https://mega.nz/#!JsEwGRyR!fGrYh6SY07L-Mc0lO1CD-7uNd4VbDeuu-lFsuhCZgng

Thanks again to the genius behind the code, @XVortex!

Nice! Now this looks very clean and professional...my only suggestion would be maybe a little smaller of a crosshatch on the background or less density - the text can be a bit hard to read against the busy pattern if not looking directly at the screen.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,793 of 6,262
I have just received Cayin N3 couple of days back. Can anyone tell how to flash this custom firmware over Official 2.0 version? Is it possible to restore to official firmware? If yes then how.

Thanks

Download the firmware to a Micro SD card (root directory) Make sure only 1 firmware is on the card and insert the card in player.

Go to System Setup and scroll to bottom of list and choose System Update.

Once the player reboots - go to system settings/about player and storage/and check firmware version.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #2,794 of 6,262
Nice! Now this looks very clean and professional...my only suggestion would be maybe a little smaller of a crosshatch on the background or less density - the text can be a bit hard to read against the busy pattern if not looking directly at the screen.
Thanks for the feedback Doc. It's always a work in progress; the next iteration (which we'll release when Cayin releases the next firmware version) will be even more refined, with a different choice of wallpaper textures (rather than just color variations), and maybe even a 'risqué' theme if we get enough requests for one.

By the way, in case you're like me and can't understand why the N3 would boot up with a random image of a piano (and not even a good one at that), @XVortex has figured out how to replace it with a black screen, so the N3 boots straight into the Cayin logo animation. It really puts the last bit of polish on the theme. PM me if you want the link, but be warned that it involves writing over the kernel code of the N3 and will definitely void the warranty if you don't do it right and brick your player (there's also a second script that restores the old logo in case you need to send the N3 in for an under-warranty repair). It worked for me and is very simple to do (it's literally a one-line script that runs once at boot up), but just know that we take absolutely no responsibility if you use it and it doesn't work for you. This is the first feature request I made (an on-off switch in settings for the boot logo) but since one wasn't forthcoming we have @XVortex to thank for making it for us (and he's not even an N3 user!).

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #2,795 of 6,262
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,796 of 6,262
Let's say i'd like to use the coaxial line out from my N3 with a Xduoo XD-5, i would need a USB Type-C to 3.5mm jack, like this one in the Mojo picture, right?
Cayin-i5_3.jpg

w211xw.jpg

Does anybody have a good address for that kind of cable?
I've seen what it could do with a Clip, iPod, and Zen. I wasn't impressed as it made them actually look less polished and more "hacky". The other issue is that it causes more problems for the OEM, as people then start demanding the manufacturer implement things they didn't intend on. It takes them away from their in-house roadmap in having to field questions from users that end with "But RB has done it..." and as a developer myself, it gets frustrating when users start killing your timeline.

I'd rather let the OEM maintain their roadmap, and have a cohesive userbase drive the innovation with requests and head counts. If there is a feature that is needed, and enough users demand it, the OEM will put it into their roadmap. That way, new users as well as those who aren't tech savvy get the features directly out of the box. In turn, that makes for a better user experience and drive good sales for Cayin, which in turn makes for more and better future products.

Once you get the third parties involved, the manufacturer gets pushed between a rock and a hard place. The customer base gets diluted and split between those who want to see it in the real firmware, and those who "Will just get the RB team to implement it". With less demand, the OEM's firmware ends up getting less attention, and the product usually suffers. Remember that the OEM has licensing and royalties for their platforms and firmwares. If they lose demand for this firmware and it gets "opened up", what's to keep them from making a "thin" firmware for future products because they know that it's just going to get hacked and not care anymore (or worse, can't afford to pay the full dev team). They'll still sell the hardware, but the out-of-box experience suffers. In the "old days", it was fine to push an OEM, because there was little competition so OEMs could just say "too bad". But in today's industry, there's a lot of other companies and I'd rather see one that makes good, solid stuff out-of-the-box and can afford to pay for a dev/support team to maintain it, not a bunch of hobbyists and part-timers.

The N3, *I feel*, is perfect where it as, for what it is intended for. People I've recommended it to (as a sound engineer for those who want something to audition mixes on; as a developer for those who want something nice to listen to while working; and as a photographer for those who want something to have a lot of music to listen to while on set) all love the N3 - straight out of the box. It becomes a lot harder when you start having by saying "well, buy it, then go here, download this, install this to the card, then do this...". Look at Magic Lantern for cameras. Yes, it opens up features, but I shoot all 1Dx and 1Dx-II cameras, which Canon has said they'd legally go after anybody who back-doors the firmware, so we get a very stable firmware directly from the OEM. I can go on a shoot knowing that the camera works perfect every time, without hacks, and with the full support of the manufacturer (that I can call right then and there if an issue arises). There hasn't been a single ML feature that I've found needing, as a lot of the features are for making the lower cameras do things that wasn't the primary feature of the camera - video. They are primarily still cameras, not video, as the C series cameras are designed for video with the capability to take stills. Yes, it's fine for the hobbyist to ML their 5D series to do video, but people who do nothing but video either 1) use the OEM firmware just fine with the included video functions or 2) get a camera design for video (C-x00, BlackMagic, Arri).

The Fiio X1-II (as well as the X5-III) has good hardware too and sounds nice, but the poorly written firmware and massive bugs (that still exist on the current release), have left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth. If any platform (Linux based or otherwise) need some third-party hacking, that(those) would be a better candidate. I'm not suggesting that anyone stop from open-sourcing the N3. I wouldn't use it, but that's me. I just feel that the time would be better utilized forming a cohesive userbase that can give Cayin good, solid feedback on what they can implement into their timeline.
I get your point, and can agree with you to a certain amount but i find you way too dramatic when you see a future of thin firmwares because of Rockbox possible dual-boot.
Did Ibasso, Sony, Apple, Sandisk change anything (for the worse) in their approach to designing a firmware because of Rockbox?
Let see it as a possible hack (with a lot of settings- sometimes totally useless- to tinker with) that would not affect Cayin and the great job they did with the N3.
Some other DAPs may be more in need of a rockbox-treatment but i am still very curious to see what could be done with such a good little DAP as the N3 once they put their hands on it (and not only for the font-size, scrolling speed etc. that could be implemented by the Cayin team, for example: am i the only one that can't read the battery % ?)
I am for more choices rather than depending on only one: i bought the n3 and i am very happy with the stock firmware that can still be implemented, but if someone comes and makes it even funnier (but not as polished as the stock firmware) why should we be worried? Only few people would use it, and they would use it in parallel with the N3 original fw.
When i talked about free inspiration from rockbox for the Cayin team, i was really thinking about Cydia and the way they implemented some features that were to become solid feature in the next iteration of the iOS (and sometimes years after...), i don't think Cayin has to fear to be put "between a rock and a hard place": Cayin fw is neat and very well conceived, Rockbox would be for the "young (and less young- i don't kid myself-) and restless" that don't care if it's a little messier.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #2,798 of 6,262
Let's say i'd like to use the coaxial line out from my N3 with a Xduoo XD-5, i would need a USB Type-C to 3.5mm jack, like this one in the Mojo picture, right?
Cayin-i5_3.jpg

w211xw.jpg

Does anybody have a good address for that kind of cable?

AndyKong posted a how to on making the USB C to Coax cable awhile back and you can buy the pre-made cable for USB-C to Coax directly from Cayin. I'd go that route.

<>
  • 0342367666.png
  • 0342375287.png
  • 0342362805.png
  • 0342386857.png
  • 0342362149.jpg
  • 0342428428.png
  • 0342421345.png
CS-30TCR

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,799 of 6,262
AndyKong posted a how to on making the USB C to Coax cable awhile back and you can buy the pre-made cable for USB-C to Coax directly from Cayin. I'd go that route.

He's looking for USB-C to 3.5mm, so the Cayin cable would not work.

@BroncoVA, if you search Aliexpress, ebay, etc for "USB type-c 3.5mm", you'll see a number of them (ignore the female 3.5mm ones obviously).

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,800 of 6,262
I am looking for a new DAP ... I am between Cayin N3 and xDuoo X3. Heard good stuff with the X3 however battery is probably a little poorer. The spec says 8hr which is ridiculous in my opinion because i remember 2nd generation ipod many many years back already had better battery life than this. With Chinese quality control and such im afraid the battery would drop half of that within months.

I would like to hear some comparison between these two DAP. Which one is more suitable for my new ZST iem. I am now playing it with sansa clip that i bought 3 years ago before quitting head fi stuff. It still sounded good however I can easily tell that it lacks power.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #2,801 of 6,262
@BroncoVA is looking for USB-C to 3.5mm, so the Cayin cable would not work.
That's what i understood from AndyKong post,
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...-and-line-usb-coax-out-for-150.833932/page-39
it seemed like he started with that cable but arranged it to fit the N3 (i don't have any soldering capability, nor material for that activity).
There must be somewhere a cable that fits for both the N3 and the Xduoo XD5, no? (i'm not wrong? For the Xduoo XD5 you need a 3.5mm jack?!?
As i am pretty new to that sort of hobby i don't know (yet) all the good addresses, this is why i asked (and i couldn't find anything on internet...)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #2,802 of 6,262
I am looking for a new DAP ... I am between Cayin N3 and xDuoo X3. Heard good stuff with the X3 however battery is probably a little poorer. The spec says 8hr which is ridiculous in my opinion because i remember 2nd generation ipod many many years back already had better battery life than this. With Chinese quality control and such im afraid the battery would drop half of that within months.

I would like to hear some comparison between these two DAP. Which one is more suitable for my new ZST iem. I am now playing it with sansa clip that i bought 3 years ago before quitting head fi stuff. It still sounded good however I can easily tell that it lacks power.

I use my xduoo X3 almost daily, and after 18 months I still get the same amount of battery life (8-10 hours, depending on factors like screen brightness and use, type of audio files, headphones used, etc). For a DAP with the amp capabilities of the X3, that's actually a pretty typical/good battery life. The ZST is low impedance, so you'll have no problems driving it with anything though.

The x3 is by no means a perfect DAP though - the stock firmware sucks, so you pretty much have to run Rockbox on it. The screen is small, hard to read in direct sunlight without a mod, and is monochromatic (so no flashy colors, coverflow, etc). There's also no other frills like bluetooth, DAC, HiBy Link, etc. But it is built like a tank, has dual card slots (supporting 2x256GB cards), and currently on sale for $51 on tomtop right now, which is hard to beat. If I was on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get the X3. The sound is great, and I have had zero quality problems with mine.

I can say this though - if/when my X3 dies, I will be getting a Cayin N3. But only because I want the extra features of bluetooth and DAC. The cost is 3xs higher though, and I will be giving up a card slot (which is disappointing, as I currently carry 400GB of music on my xduoo).

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #2,803 of 6,262
He's looking for USB-C to 3.5mm, so the Cayin cable would not work.

@BroncoVA, if you search Aliexpress, ebay, etc for "USB type-c 3.5mm", you'll see a number of them (ignore the female 3.5mm ones obviously).
Thank you very much!
i didn't think about Aliexpress!
Found it!
f2vhn6.png
[/IMG]
f2vhn6.png

I'll first find a good price on the Xduoo XD5 and then go to Ali :thumbsup:

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,804 of 6,262
Thank you very much!
i didn't think about Aliexpress!
Found it!
f2vhn6.png
[/IMG]
f2vhn6.png

I'll first find a good price on the Xduoo XD5 and then go to Ali :thumbsup:

No problem bud, let us know how the cable works out once you get it!

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,805 of 6,262
Do i need the amp capabilities of the x3? Since the phone is actually low impedance. The other headphone i have is modded fostex t50?

My only concern are sound quality and battery life. I wont be needing the extra feature the n3 gives. If sq and battery life are almost on par then im probably settled with the xduoo x3.

I use my xduoo X3 almost daily, and after 18 months I still get the same amount of battery life (8-10 hours, depending on factors like screen brightness and use, type of audio files, headphones used, etc). For a DAP with the amp capabilities of the X3, that's actually a pretty typical/good battery life. The ZST is low impedance, so you'll have no problems driving it with anything though.

The x3 is by no means a perfect DAP though - the stock firmware sucks, so you pretty much have to run Rockbox on it. The screen is small, hard to read in direct sunlight without a mod, and is monochromatic (so no flashy colors, coverflow, etc). There's also no other frills like bluetooth, DAC, HiBy Link, etc. But it is built like a tank, has dual card slots (supporting 2x256GB cards), and currently on sale for $51 on tomtop right now, which is hard to beat. If I was on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get the X3. The sound is great, and I have had zero quality problems with mine.

I can say this though - if/when my X3 dies, I will be getting a Cayin N3. But only because I want the extra features of bluetooth and DAC. The cost is 3xs higher though, and I will be giving up a card slot (which is disappointing, as I currently carry 400GB of music on my xduoo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back