Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #571 of 6,262
OK, We hear you.
beerchug.gif

We'll try out best to bring ReplayGain to N3 as soon as possible.

We can develop leather case too, but that will take some time. It will be an optional accessories instead of a replacement to the silicon jacket, and it probably will cost about the same as i5 leather case, so my guess is around US$30 - $35, and will probably be more expensive if we want to custom make the N3 leather case in multiple color.

Would you consider adding Bookmarks? This increases the utility and versatility of the player greatly. If you do decide to add this capability, a Bookmark should preserve the entire playlist as well as the track and time position within it. This will allow audiobook listeners to recall their spot in a multiple file-by-chapter book as it was originally being played.

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #572 of 6,262
  There are cheaper ones, but they all have their issues such as small screens, missing features (no DSD support), and most have some stupid UI bug or two that'll cause random lockups. So far, the N3 has been perfect, none of the above issues. A nice clear screen, full format support (DSD, WMA, etc), and it hasn't locked up or required a reboot yet.

As far as sound quality goes, it does have a full 10 band EQ, so that is much more than others with 6 band. The Fiio X1-II is $99 and pretty nice, but it does have it's quirks. The only thing that I would like to see in the N3 is Replaygain support and a nice leather case. The Fiio doesn't have RG, but it does have a really nice leather "sleeve" case that is beautiful and functional. I'm hoping that Cayin will come out with a similar (reasonably priced and functional) case for the N3. 

I don't have anything that's not a lossless file, but the AKM chipset is a nice chipset for any type of audio file. The sound is fairly neutral and really clean. A lot of the sound signature items that you list are more dependent on your IEMs than it is on the player, especially for a player at this price level. 

I'm still running in at the moment, but first impressions are highly positive!
I can compare the sound to a Fiio M3 dap and a S.M.S.L M3 desktop DAC. The sound of the former is quite smooth but can still sound very "compressed" for want of a better word, but at the time it was a groundbreaking device at its pricepoint. The S.M.S.L is a powerful beast that takes no prisoners. Can sound clinical and hard at times.

For my ears, the N3 is sitting between the two. Musical, refined. Exciting but not harsh. I've used it to play 360kbps MP3 and Flac from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and I'm also using KZ ZST colourful edition IEMs.

Still early days but I hear improvements as time goes on. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Thank you very much! I am definitely planning to get the N3 now.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #578 of 6,262
The N3 has dual digital output, you can get S/PDIF signal our of our proprietary implementation of Type-C, or USB Audio out from a standard Type-C connection. You need to purchase or DIY a Type-C to RCA or Type C to 3.5mm Coaxial cable for the S/PDIF bitstream, but the USB Audio Out is a standard USB-C implementation and you should be able to setup this connection with standard Type-C cable from computer and Office Supplies stores.

Since Type-C cables are relatively new in markets, someone has asked for recommendation for USB Type-C cable for N3 earlier on. I have googled this topic recently and find the USB Type C cable series from Belkin very comprehensive and cost-effective. The following USB-C cables are particular relevant to N3 users:

1. 2.0 USB-C to USB-B Printer Cable : connecting N3 to external DAC with USB-B input (e.g., Cayin iDAC-6) (function as USB digital source)
  2. 2.0 USB-C to Micro USB Charge Cable : connecting N3 to portable DAC such as Chord Hugo and Mojo (function as USB digital source) or connect a mobile phone with micro USB OTG to N3 (function as USB DAC)
  3. 3.1 USB-A to USB-C Cable: Connect a desktop or notebook computer to N3 (function as USB DAC)
  4. 3.1 USB-C to USB-C Cable: Connect a mobile phone with USB-C OTG to N3 (function as USB DAC)

I have purchased the Belkin 2.0 USB-C to USB-B Printer Cable and tired it with N3 and Cayin iDAC-6 DAC, it works flawlessly, and the connections is basically plug and play.

Sorry for the quality of these photo as they were taken by my mobile phone at a fairly dim office, but we can tell clearly that the PCM and DoP bitstream from N3 are recognized and decoded by the Cayin iDAC-6.

They USB-C cable is not only a cost-effective solution to facilitate digital output from N3, it actually offer more bandwidth over S/PDIF connection and you can get the best digital output capability of N3 with USB-C connection. I have described the digital capability of N3 previously, I shall quote the digital output specification for your quick reference:

[COLOR=FF00AA]USB Audio out[/COLOR] (i.e., N3 serve as digital transport)
PCM: same as local music playback (upto 32Bit/384kHz)
DSD: Support DSD64 and DSD128 (DoP and D2P, user selectable)

[COLOR=FF00AA]S/PDIF (Coaxial) out[/COLOR]
PCM: upto 24Bit/192kHz
DSD: D2P mode asupport DSD64 and DSD128 (fixed at 88.2kHz), DoP only support DSD64, DSD128 DoP still under development.
The bandwidth limitation of S/PDIF is the bottleneck of DSD128 and PCM beyond 24Bit/192kHz at this point.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #579 of 6,262
The N3 has dual digital output, you can get S/PDIF signal our of our proprietary implementation of Type-C, or USB Audio out from a standard Type-C connection. You need to purchase or DIY a Type-C to RCA or Type C to 3.5mm Coaxial cable for the S/PDIF bitstream, but the USB Audio Out is a standard USB-C implementation and you should be able to setup this connection with standard Type-C cable from computer and Office Supplies stores.

Since Type-C cables are relatively new in markets, someone has asked for recommendation for USB Type-C cable for N3 earlier on. I have googled this topic recently and find the USB Type C cable series from Belkin very comprehensive and cost-effective. The following USB-C cables are particular relevant to N3 users: ...

Thanks @Andykong!

It's nice to know some of the specifics of the N3 USB & SPDIF inputs / outputs.

Do you know whether the USB DAC functionality can be used with the USB Audio Class 2 drivers that are now being included in Windows 10?  On my work PC, I do not have Admin permissions, so I can not install drivers, like the ones that are usually needed to operate an external USB connected DAC.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #580 of 6,262
The detail description of our Type-C to RCA coaxial cable are as follow:
http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=101

You can buy this cable through your local Cayin dealer. Some of our dealers might not keep a regular stock on this cable because it is a specialized cable to bridge between our DAP with desktop product, but you should be able to place order with them. The cable is retailed at US$59. It might sound a bit expensive when consider the N3 is only US$149.99, but please be reminded that this coaxial cable will be used by all Cayin DAPs since 2016, so we have to make sure its is a decent cable for different price segment and is good enough to work with wide range of external DAC products. Cayin has gone through 4 rounds of prototype before we can find the lowest cost solution to build the Type-C to RCA Coaxial cable . We start with a lower budget and gradually works our way up in order to get something that works well, I have enclosed the first and second prototype for your reference:

Cayin make these cable to expand the connectivity of our DAPs, we hope our customers can utilize their DAP to full extend, we do make profit out of the cable, but not significant when you consider the MoQ and operation overhead required to deal with these cables, and I believe we are not on the expensive side when compare to other after-market cables.

For the benefit our our DAP users, we shall disclose the pin-out of the USB Type-C, and I can provide the basic instruction for your reference. We welcome users to DIY their cable solution if they have the resource and time for that, so here we go:

This is the standard pin-out diagram of Type-C, pin A8 and B8 are NOT USED for USB, so they are not allocated in normal application, and Cayin used this pin to transmit S/PDIF signal.

Normal Type C connectors are extremely difficult to because the pin are hided inside the connectors, and they were designed to factory fit by automated machines. You need to find special connectors that has all the pins extended to a small PCB. Make sure you check with the seller that pin A8 and B8 have been extended to the PCB before you pay for it, because these two pin are not used for USB, quite a lot of custom connectors will ignore these two pins.

Once you find the appropriate connector, the first thing you should do is to hard wired between A8 and B8, as illustrated below:

Then you should prepare your coaxial cable as follows, around 1.5cm bare connectors should be good enough for subsequent jobs. If you are new to DIY, we recommend you to cut off one RCA connector of a ready-make coaxial cable for this project, this will make sure you have the right kind of cable and you only need to work on one connectors, with the RAC connectors untouched. We also suggest you to put a heat-shrinkable tube into the coaxial cable before you start the soldering work.

You can now solder the coaxial cable to the A8 pin, and then the ground shielding to the ground pin of the PCB

Just heat up the heat-shrinkable tube to protect the connector, or better still install a USB connector cover if you can find that as well.

This cable is finished and ready for testing:

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #581 of 6,262
Would you consider adding Bookmarks? This increases the utility and versatility of the player greatly. If you do decide to add this capability, a Bookmark should preserve the entire playlist as well as the track and time position within it. This will allow audiobook listeners to recall their spot in a multiple file-by-chapter book as it was originally being played.

Because N3 was primarily designed for music playback, we have not taking non-music related applications into our UI design. We are glad that the N3 has opened up a new range of application to Cayin. We certainly will consider your suggestion seriously, but we would like to focus on critical bug fixing and enhancement of music-related features as our priority at this stage. After all, we promised first class music experience to our customers, so we own them our best shot and we should explore new market opportunities only after we deliver our promise satisfactory.

Sorry that I can't give you a date or a firm commitment at this stage, but I'll make sure the request will be considered seriously in due course. :beerchug:

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #584 of 6,262
Can the N3 be used as an external DAC on a laptop running Windows 7 64-bit? Also, if yes, can the N3 be charged by the laptop when it is being used as a DAC?

Yes, when you connect N3 to a desktop or notebook computer, N3 will be charged by the computer while functioning as an USB-DAC.

Thanks @Andykong
!

It's nice to know some of the specifics of the N3 USB & SPDIF inputs / outputs.

Do you know whether the USB DAC functionality can be used with the USB Audio Class 2 drivers that are now being included in Windows 10?  On my work PC, I do not have Admin permissions, so I can not install drivers, like the ones that are usually needed to operate an external USB connected DAC.

The USB-DAC function of N3 DAP is conformed to USB Audio Class 2. If you were to use an iOS or Linux device with N3, you shouldn't need a USB driver because these system has included an USB Audio Class 2 drivers already. If you were to use it with Window based device, you'll need an USB Audio Class 2 Drivers, and you can download this driver from the following link:

Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver V3.30.0 (For Windows 7 and above)

Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver V2.29.0(For Windows XP and Vista)

We call this "Universal USB Driver" because this USB driver will work for ALL Cayin USB-based products, bit it desktop DAC or portable DAPs.
The download page has provided detail installation instruction to install the driver, please make sure you have downloaded the correct version of USB Audio Driver according to your Windows system. For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 users, please download and install the V3.30.0 USB Audio driver.

I have not tested the USB Audio Class 2 drivers that are now being included in Windows 10 because I am still using Windows 8.1 with my notebook and desktops. Theoretically this should work just like the standard iOS and Linux environment where N3 can work with those system without installing any additional USB drivers. I can arrange a test on this condition later, but probably will take sometime to setup a Windows 10 station for the test.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #585 of 6,262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back