Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 4, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,681 of 6,262
Cayin N3 Shuffle characteristics / Can N3 delete files?

If I have my music stored in folders, with the top folder “Rock” and several folders within the Rock folder (70’s, 80’s, Surf…). Can the N3 shuffle all music in the rock folder and sub folders, at once? For example would it start with something from the 80’s folder followed by a Surf song, etc?

Can the N3 shuffle music from only one sub folder, like play all 80’s songs on shuffle?

Without shuffle, do folders play in track number order or by some date/time value?

Also, is there an easy way to delete a file from a folder using the player itself?

I can understand your scenarios, I don't think we can cater for this level of shuffling at the moment.

Form a software development perspective, unless the X1000 (N3 CPU) has built in features to handle similar selection logic, otherwise we need to to create a music pool and then confine the scope of shuffle playback algorithm to the designated pool. I am not sure if N3 has enough internal memory to handle process like this.

The current shuffle logic will generate a random number through certain algorithm, designated the song to play with reference to this random number, and put the song aside so that it won't be selected again "in near future" (until the stack is full).

Regarding the folder playback sequence, we have to accommodate a lot of file format and assumptions of different level of metadata availability, so the sequential logic is kind of like a decision tree based on multiple criteria. I have to check the playback before I can answer your question.

You can delete a file from the Quick menu, just hit the top left Capacitive button on the front panel while the N3 is playing a file, the Quick menu will pop up as illustrated, use the left/right button to navigate in the Quick menu and select the rubbish bin to delete a file.

N3 delete file.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 4, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,682 of 6,262
Hi Andy, I got N3 since it's lunched in Thailand and I have the same problem with my BT apt-x device which connect to my Audio System that need to enter the PIN.

Most of the device's PIN are either "0000" or "1234" anyway so can you implement something like a connection procedure that try to connect with these 2 PIN before return error.

Just my thought, I really want to use N3 with my main system as a source since using mini-to-RCA with my system I got humming sound out of my speakers.

Sorry, can't promise this for the moment. the BT handling process simply not designed to handle password based BT pairing, we need to develop this function from scratch in order to support users that
  1. will use a BT device that require password
  2. the default password is either 0000 or 1234
  3. the user has not changed the password
According to our estimation, this is not a significant user group among the N3 user community. Please understand that with limited resource, we can only cater for software enhancement that affect general users at this moment.

May 4, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,683 of 6,262
@Andykong , does engaging the EQ automatically drop the output by -6db? It seems that enabling the EQ seems to lower the volume level, even if I'm just adding +1db to 16KHz.

Yes, -6dB is our regular EQ implementation for all our N series player, this design traced all the way back to our first DAP, the N6 back in late 2014. If you set the custom EQ to 0db in all bands, and then switch between EQ off and Custom EQ, you should notice the -6dB volume drop immediately.

We don't really care what is the correct or incorrect way to master a music file, we just notice that this is a risk to our customers and we have to protect them the best we can.

May 4, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,684 of 6,262

May 4, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #1,685 of 6,262
May 4, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #1,686 of 6,262
I have a red X5iii and now may have to get a red N3 as a companion...

May 4, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,687 of 6,262
Alright OK no Orange damn. Cough 1 time. Yep. In tribute to Trump?

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #1,688 of 6,262
Just finished reading this entire thread (and the i5 thread AND the X5 iii thread) and I'm curious which would sound better - Spotify Premium direct from my iPhone 7 Plus or streamed via Bluetooth to N3 (iPhone doesn't support aptX). Thank you for your help!

May 5, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #1,691 of 6,262
Sorry, can't promise this for the moment. the BT handling process simply not designed to handle password based BT pairing, we need to develop this function from scratch in order to support users that
  1. will use a BT device that require password
  2. the default password is either 0000 or 1234
  3. the user has not changed the password
According to our estimation, this is not a significant user group among the N3 user community. Please understand that with limited resource, we can only cater for software enhancement that affect general users at this moment.

Noted. Thx... :D

May 5, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,693 of 6,262
May 5, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #1,694 of 6,262
open
Finally we have everything on hand to engage mass production and we can set a date on the RED N3.

Yes, the forthcoming N3 is Red, as someone has guessed already.

Unless there are unforeseeable complication showing up, otherwise we can expect the Red N3 available within 2 weeks time.

The Red shade will be affected by the lighting so the color might not appear to be uniformed. We'll be showing the real thing at the LAAS (Booth 113) next month, if you are attending the LAAS this year, please come to check it out in person.

open

Dang it... that red looks damn nice! Too bad I already have a blue one on the way =(

@twister6 : I read your review of the N3; how would you say its sound compares to the AP100? (I tried to find somewhere to comment/reply on the review page but that function doens't seem to be available on the new site :S)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back