Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 2, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,651 of 6,262
Andy-
I may be in the minority here but I like the option to use the EQ while connected to an outboard DAC. Volume, I couldn't care less about though. Also, I think it's strange that you can't reliably reproduce the EQ bug, it happens to me literally every time I mess around with the sliders. Have you tried drastically changing them on custom while listening to a song? Once I do that and move to EQ off, it stops working.

May 2, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,652 of 6,262
Hello guys, I just received my new Cayin N3 but I have a few problems with it:

- a number of HD FLAC tracks playing norally on my pc with Foobar not recognized;
- e-mail of Cayin technical service non existent (should be info@cayin.cn as stated on their website http://en.cayin.cn/about?c=166 );
- .pdf manual of the device unavailable on the manufacturer's website ( http://en.cayin.cn/download/index).

Anyone with same problems? Is there any limitation on hd .flac tracks? I have Firmware 1.1 preinstalled, should be the latest one...

Thanks for your attention.

May 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,653 of 6,262
I am not expert on DSD. I know that changing volume on DSD can't be done with the DSD signal itself. But I think there may be some kind of control bit related to volume that possibly can be transmitted that speak to the DSD decoding device and its amps. Because I can send volume information from a PC running foobar or JRiver in ASIO to my current DAP and that will change volume on the DAP in DAC mode.

May 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,654 of 6,262
I suppose if its just volume/gain, and with EQ off EQ is bypassed, and of course DSD is untouched, then leave it as is would the preference.

With rathgar's question answered, we'd be able to make out settings such that the digital output is "nearly"
untouched.

This, in essence, gives the user the choice to alter the tone or not (via EQ settings), and only have volume affected. This would benefit those who do not have adjustable amplification.

May 2, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,655 of 6,262
Sound tuning is supposed to be our trade secret, but since I can't fix the bug you located, I shall give away this one at your request.

First of all, the terms quality is not exactly a very descriptive terms, we can't find any quantifiable improvement on parameters such as THD+N, S/N, crosstalk, .... etc when we change this setting, we believe it might have minor implication on the sound signature, but not necessarily upgrading or downgrading the sound quality,

N3 use default (0,0) setting, Cayin opt for the standard output because we prefer to work with Standard digital output from the DAC chipset because we are confident that we can achieve the sound signature we have in mind through analogue circuit design and choice of components

Thank you Andy for that info. I agree that AK's datasheet isn't very helpful with that bit. I figured that your engineers would've gotten a more detailed design spec for the chip. Looks like "Sound Quality 1/2/3" doesn't mean much to anyone but the original chip designer! Since you can't find any technical changes with the different bit sets, I do wonder if it may be what is causing the high frequencies to lose body at certain frequencies. Is there any way to do further testing on it? Maybe a temporary special firmware?

May 3, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #1,657 of 6,262
Cayin N3 Shuffle characteristics / Can N3 delete files?

If I have my music stored in folders, with the top folder “Rock” and several folders within the Rock folder (70’s, 80’s, Surf…). Can the N3 shuffle all music in the rock folder and sub folders, at once? For example would it start with something from the 80’s folder followed by a Surf song, etc?

Can the N3 shuffle music from only one sub folder, like play all 80’s songs on shuffle?

Without shuffle, do folders play in track number order or by some date/time value?

Also, is there an easy way to delete a file from a folder using the player itself?

May 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #1,658 of 6,262
Andy-
I may be in the minority here but I like the option to use the EQ while connected to an outboard DAC. Volume, I couldn't care less about though. Also, I think it's strange that you can't reliably reproduce the EQ bug, it happens to me literally every time I mess around with the sliders. Have you tried drastically changing them on custom while listening to a song? Once I do that and move to EQ off, it stops working.

I think that is the best way to reproduce the bug. The more that you change the EQ and the more drastic the change from 0db, the more likely it is that the bug will appear. I don't even have to go to "Off" sometimes to get it to appear. If I just change the settings a bunch while a track is playing, it'll quit working.

May 4, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,659 of 6,262
Scott, I have talked to our Engineer this morning, find out that the situation have been considered but we can't support BT with a PIN or password requirements because Cayin N3 doesn't come with a keypad/keyoard, and the screen is too small to implement an on-screen keyboard to facilitate password authentication procedure.

Sorry for unable to provide a better solution at this point. I'll raise the possibility to add a numeric input option on BT in the future, but this will be a low-priority item and I can't promise a follow up date immediately.

Hi Andy, I got N3 since it's lunched in Thailand and I have the same problem with my BT apt-x device which connect to my Audio System that need to enter the PIN.

Most of the device's PIN are either "0000" or "1234" anyway so can you implement something like a connection procedure that try to connect with these 2 PIN before return error.

Just my thought, I really want to use N3 with my main system as a source since using mini-to-RCA with my system I got humming sound out of my speakers.

May 4, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #1,660 of 6,262
open
Finally we have everything on hand to engage mass production and we can set a date on the RED N3.

Yes, the forthcoming N3 is Red, as someone has guessed already.

Red N3 01.jpg

Red N3 02.jpg

Red N3 03.jpg

Unless there are unforeseeable complication showing up, otherwise we can expect the Red N3 available within 2 weeks time.

The Red shade will be affected by the lighting so the color might not appear to be uniformed. We'll be showing the real thing at the LAAS (Booth 113) next month, if you are attending the LAAS this year, please come to check it out in person.

open

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 4, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #1,662 of 6,262
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back