Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 2, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #856 of 6,262
In today's picture Sunday post, I quickly preview the Cayin N3 and Hidizs AP60 DAPs: http://www.headfonia.com/picture-sunday-mini-daps-hidizs-cayin/

There's more to come of course. Happy weekend everyone.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #857 of 6,262
  In today's picture Sunday post, I quickly preview the Cayin N3 and Hidizs AP60 DAPs: http://www.headfonia.com/picture-sunday-mini-daps-hidizs-cayin/

There's more to come of course. Happy weekend everyone.

Your sentence, "While they obviously are built around the same Android core and offer the same navigation and options, they don’t sound very much alike." isn't correct. The N3 doesn't run Android. (and I'm happy it doesn't!)

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #858 of 6,262
  Your sentence, "While they obviously are built around the same Android core and offer the same navigation and options, they don’t sound very much alike." isn't correct. The N3 doesn't run Android. (and I'm happy it doesn't!)

You're right. I changed it as the N3 is Linux based. Oopsie!

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #860 of 6,262
  I think both of them are Linux based (and so is Android, just a bloated version of Linux)...

Reminder to myself: Have coffee first on Sunday mornings. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #863 of 6,262
twister6: Hey, Alex. I wanted to confirm something with you and also potentially clarify something for others. I've got N3 receiving music via BT from Neutron on my OnePlus 3. When I first attempted to use transport control, I tried the capacitive buttons and the center button. None of these worked while connected via BT except the Back capacitive button which terminates the BT connection. Only the side hardware buttons at a transport controls. Am I correct to assume the same is true for you?

Yes, using hw transport control buttons on the right side.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #864 of 6,262
Hey Andy,

So I've noticed something about the SQ on the N3...with certain tracks, such as:

- Rush, Limelight (The Spirit of Radio, 24-96 HDTracks) FLAC
- Dar Williams, Mercy of the Fallen (Beauty of the Rain, 24-88/DVD-A source) FLAC
- Kay Hanley, Fall (Cherry Marmalade, 16-44/CD) FLAC

In these tracks, the drums and cymbals sound very plastic with missing resonance and reverberation. There's other tracks that I've noticed it in also, but not as prominent as these. I compared the same files on a MOTU 828 and RME Fireface using both Genelec 8020 and Tannoy 501a, as well as a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones and can hear the instruments very clearly. This is with EQ off on everything. I've also tried changing the digital filter to all of the different choices and SUPER SLOW was the best. But, the drums don't have the proper reverberance and the cymbals come through as "ting" instead of showing the full splash. The ride cymbal also sounds very flat and has no resonance. You could also describe it as the tone is being cut off half way through ringing.

As an additional check, I put the same card into my Fiio X1-II with JH-5, UERR, and JH-16. It shows the drums to full resonance and the cymbals ring the same as on the Genelecs. Oh, and the UERR was the earphone that was most noticeable with the N3.

I then tried to do some EQ (the first test was off) to see if I could bring them out and while I was able to make the "ting" louder, they never reverberated correctly.

I don't know if it's a firmware issue with timing or the nature of the AK4490, but it's definitely not correct as my calibrated studio montor setup shows the tones clear as day and my comparison to the Fiio does as well. 

I've also noticed that if you turn 1 or more bands on the EQ all the way up or down, it'll actually not work and treat the entry as '0'.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #865 of 6,262
indeed, will compare N3 to N5 and i5, as well as X1ii, X3ii, and AP60 (soundwise, of course).

Btw, a "family" picture :wink:

any thoughts comparing N3 to N6 in SQ?

I could but not sure if it makes sense to compare entry level with flagship considering different signature, dacs, etc. Besides a different sound sig, it will be inferior in sound performance, though not the features. I think we have to be realistic, Cayin designed a great feature-packed $150 dap targeted at specific group of audiophiles and enthusiast on the go, which is not intended to compete with their other mid fi and summit fi models :wink:

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #866 of 6,262
I have a question, I would like t to know if it's normal that when I connect the N3 to the Mojo in S/PDIF (coax) I can still change the volume on the Cayin N3 Isn't it suppose to be a digital out and only the volume control is done on the Mojo then?

If not, at what volume should it be set on the Cayin N3? 

Thanks for your help!

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #867 of 6,262
I could but not sure if it makes sense to compare entry level with flagship considering different signature, dacs, etc. Besides a different sound sig, it will be inferior in sound performance, though not the features. I think we have to be realistic, Cayin designed a great feature-packed $150 dap targeted at specific group of audiophiles and enthusiast on the go, which is not intended to compete with their other mid fi and summit fi models
wink.gif

How close is the N3 to the N6? We need a percentage.  
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #869 of 6,262
@Andykong @Ultrainferno

I have a question, I would like t to know if it's normal that when I connect the N3 to the Mojo in S/PDIF (coax) I can still change the volume on the Cayin N3 Isn't it suppose to be a digital out and only the volume control is done on the Mojo then?

If not, at what volume should it be set on the Cayin N3? 

Thanks for your help!

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #870 of 6,262
I know I'm going backward (my natural state) but I can't believe I missed this when we were discussing color choices.

Cayin Cayenne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back