Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 1, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #826 of 6,262
I hereby confirmed that the black works just as well as the cyan.
biggrin.gif

But I can't confirm the black sounds the same as cyan, I don't comment on subjective listening of my own product, you have to buy them all and AB compare yourself in order to find that out.
tongue.gif

Spoken like a true sales guy

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #827 of 6,262
I just received mine and I love the cyan color. It makes it look different than all the other items on my desk like my black ThinkPad & black phone. 

However, I am not a big fan of the silicone case which looks a different shade of blue.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. That's why we name the N3 as Cyan and the silicon case as blue. the Cyan looks better with a metallic feel but the silicon case can hardly repeat that, so have to settle with a shade blue that is as close to Cyan as possible, but it isn't cyan for sure.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #828 of 6,262
Sorry for the misunderstanding. That's why we name the N3 as Cyan and the silicon case as blue. the Cyan looks better with a metallic feel but the silicon case can hardly repeat that, so have to settle with a shade blue that is as close to Cyan as possible, but it isn't cyan for sure.

Hey Andy, hope you are working with someone like Dignis for a real N3 case, there is a reason they call this stuff Silly-Cone:open_mouth: I understand i can save dings but I personally can't stand the stuff:grin: Great job on the N3:stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #829 of 6,262
Question for the guys who got cyan. Is it a metallic/anodized finish, or does it just look painted?

It has a metallic/anodized finish. 

I believe both Black and Cyan aluminum case are sand blasted. I am not sure if I use the correct English description on theis finishing process, I tried to figure out the English name of the metal handling process from its Chinese name and this is as closed as I can figure out.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #830 of 6,262
Yup, I'm waiting eagerly for Cayin to release one so that I can get it ordered. I hate silicone cases; makes everything feel cheap and crappy. Hell, my phones have clear acrylic cases that are made in China for $3. They're nicer than silicone junk.

Hint, hint...Andy! I'll be glad to beta a case for ya!

Sure, I'll keep you in mind ...... if there is ever a beta test for the N3 leather case. :D

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #831 of 6,262
Very true and the blue with the leatheret backing looks to hood for any kind of case really:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #832 of 6,262
I got this cable as a gift from Andy, I don't know where he got it.

I would also love a leather case. I either use leather or nothing, as the pic shows.

I will soon post the AP60/N3 comparative review.

I bought the cable from taobao, I paid ¥228 (RMB) for that.

If N3 exceed our expectation, the user base of Cayin Type-C will increase and I might be able to justify a production run for SHORT Type-C to 3.5mm coaxial cable (for Mojo and Hugo 2). Let's keep the momentum and drive the N3 to the best seller lists. :D

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #833 of 6,262
Tried out the Bluetooth. Spotify from my lg g3 and my sons lg spirit works fine:)

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #834 of 6,262
Got my 128GB card last night..so now fully operational.   

Noting that I come from an iPhone/iPad user interface (or iTunes to stereo system), question:  When in Genres, it looks like I just see songs, not the albums itself (making this feature ineffective).  How to I fix this so I can look at albums by genre?  

Sorry, you can't fix that, but I can submit this as a user-requested feature for N3 firmware development. :beerchug:

Great. More file management.

(Making me really appreciate iTunes...)

The N3 is significantly behind the iTune in terms of music management. The iTune is a much larger project then N3 and embrace a comprehensive database library concepts. N3 is an index-based "mock-up" library when compare to iTune.

We can and we shall improve the Music Category feature of N3 down the road, but I don't want to create a false hope that we can compare with iTune later on. We won't have that resource nor N3 has the appropriate architecture for something like that.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #835 of 6,262

If N3 exceed our expectation, the user base of Cayin Type-C will increase and I might be able to justify a production run for SHORT Type-C to 3.5mm coaxial cable (for Mojo and Hugo 2). Let's keep the momentum and drive the N3 to the best seller lists. :D

I'd buy one for sure, Andy!

I'd also but a leather case. That would make the N3 look really swank!

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #836 of 6,262

If N3 exceed our expectation, the user base of Cayin Type-C will increase and I might be able to justify a production run for SHORT Type-C to 3.5mm coaxial cable (for Mojo and Hugo 2). Let's keep the momentum and drive the N3 to the best seller lists.
biggrin.gif

@Andykong I would like to know if the cable you that bought from taobao is the same that MusicTeck is selling. I bought that one from them and it sounds quite good...well I prefer much better coax over usb when I paired my N3 with the Mojo. And by the same fact prefer the N3 with Mojo vs M1 with Mojo. 

Would it be possible for you to get one from taobao and ship it to me. I'm from Canada and just can't buy from taobao because of payment method. I would pay you back. Congrats for the N3 unit!!!

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #838 of 6,262
Just got the N3... Now I'm wondering, if the N3 is this good, then how good is the i5? I'm loving this little thing! ... very clean, neutral, non-fatiguing sound, and this is before the suggested burn-in. 

I believe reviews from Headfonics, Headfonia and Twisters will compare N3 to i5. These reviewers had written detail reviews for i5 and they have received N3 sample recently, You probably need to wait a few weeks before these reliable reviewers release their N3 review.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #839 of 6,262
I think it does need some running in. I didn't honestly think that a "solid state" device would need a run in period, but I have heard a huge improvement in soundstage, separation and clarity after a few days usage.

As a USB DAC I find the N3 capable, but it sounds better as a stand alone dap. Not sure how that works but hey, it still sounds better than the built in laptop soundcard!

OK, I'll make this my last feedback tonight, its 2:50am already and my efficient is going down hill. :beerchug:

When you read my suggestion on burn in your DAP, you probably think I was way over my head. Indeed I was taking a big risk on flamed discussion at that time, I am glad that we didn't run into anything disaster and now we have several N3 users appreciated the benefit of a short burn-in period.

If you are interested in this topic, maybe you can check out what professor55 has said in comparison of 250 hours i5 vs brand new i5. Should be an interesting read when you have experience something similar.

Now if I tells you that the USB cable between your computer and N3 might contributed to the audio performance, will you think I am crazy? The USB connectors have integrated Power Management function (i.e., Charging) and data transmission function into a confined area. The regular USB cables has at least four wires bundled together, two for data and two for power. When you connect your PC to a desktop DAC via a USB connection, only the two wire designated for data transmission will be active, you can almost assume the two wires designated for power/charging will be idled because the desktop DAC will not rely on the power supplied by the computer. At situation like this, we can have peace of mind that any decent USB cable should be adequate for the purpose.

However when you connect your computer to a Cayin N3, the computer will charge the N3 battery while functioning as DAC. In other word, all four wires are active, and the 0101 bitstream are transmitting right alongside a 5V power line from the computer to the N3. This is hardly an ideal case for data transmission, and we are not surprised noise and power-related interference will enter the data transmission wire of the USB connection. In other word, a USB cable with better internal shielding "might" sound better then a low-cost USB cable without proper internal shielding.

You don't have to take my word, and I worded this as a hypothetical explanation in order to avoid flamed discussion, so please don't quote me for this either. I am not selling any USB cable so I won't be financially rewarded even when you believed in what I just said. :p

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #840 of 6,262

Just got the N3... Now I'm wondering, if the N3 is this good, then how good is the i5? I'm loving this little thing! ... very clean, neutral, non-fatiguing sound, and this is before the suggested burn-in. 

I believe reviews from Headfonics, Headfonia and Twisters will compare N3 to i5. These reviewers had written detail reviews for i5 and they have received N3 sample recently, You probably need to wait a few weeks before these reliable reviewers release their N3 review.

indeed, will compare N3 to N5 and i5, as well as X1ii, X3ii, and AP60 (soundwise, of course).

Btw, a "family" picture
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back