Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 1, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #811 of 6,262
If you want a clean black background, stick to your original purchase color :p

Got N3 today, and REALLY enjoying it!  Had it on burn in for about 5+ hours, sound really opens up.  Just had it paired up with my Note 4, what a treat being able to stream Spotify with N3 in my hand and my phone somewhere across the room, and not just streaming but being able to Play/Pause and Skip the tracks (N3 works great as a bluetooth wireless remote playback control), and of course change the volume.

This little guy is packed with features!!!

Now I love my Shanling M1, but it certainly doesn't do all that. That's pretty sweet!

I just got mine today, too. Haven't had a chance to give it a go yet, though. Will start breaking it in this weekend...

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #812 of 6,262
  I don't typically use playlists, but I had a few M3u8 files that I created in MM for the X1-II. They play fine on the X1-II, but when I click on the file, the N3 just reboots. So, it's probably something in the formatting of the playlist that is read differently. I'll have to hand edit the file a few times and see if I can see the layout that works when I get some time.

Ah, wait...the same file works fine. Looks like there's a character somewhere that the N3 doesn't like and is causing the reboot. Here's how my playlist file is laid out:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:253,The Moody Blues - Tuesday Afternoon (Forever Afternoon)
..\Albums\Lossless\Moody Blues\1996. The Best of the Moody Blues\02. Tuesday Afternoon (Forever Afternoon) - The Moody Blues.flac
#EXTINF:241,Letters to Cleo - Laudanum
..\Albums\Lossless\Letters to Cleo\1995 08 01. Wholesale Meats and Fish [Lossless]\05. Laudanum - Letters to Cleo.flac
#EXTINF:210,Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love
..\Albums\Lossless\Phil Collins\2016. The Singles\2302. Groovy Kind Of Love - Phil Collins.flac
#EXTINF:179,Billy Joel - Don't Ask Me Why (Album Version)
..\Albums\HDA\Billy Joel\2013. The Essential Billy Joel (24-96 HDA, Remaster)\116. Don't Ask Me Why (Album Version) - Billy Joel.flac
#EXTINF:328,Melissa Etheridge - I Want to Come Over
..\Albums\Lossless\Melissa Etheridge\11. I Want to Come Over - Melissa Etheridge.flac
#EXTINF:297,Edie Brickell - What I Am
..\Albums\Lossless\Edie Brickell\1988. Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars\01. What I Am - Edie Brickell.flac
#EXTINF:201,Mary Chapin Carpenter - Passionate Kisses
..\Albums\Lossless\Mary Chapin Carpenter\1999 05 25. Party Doll and Other Favorites\06. Passionate Kisses - Mary Chapin Carpenter.flac
#EXTINF:188,Jimmy Buffett - Come Monday
..\Albums\Lossless\Jimmy Buffett\1992. Ballads\01. Come Monday - Jimmy Buffett.flac
#EXTINF:192,Sierra Hull - All Because of You
..\Albums\Lossless\Sierra Hull\2011. Daybreak\03. All Because of You - Sierra Hull.flac

If you're syncing via MediaMonkey, you set the playlist to M3U8 format, "Force Relative Paths", "Use Unicode (UTF-8)", and "Use Extended M3U". I set the destination for the playlist to \Playlists\ so that you don't clog the root directory with files.

In the playlist format, the ..\ before each track indicates to go up a directory. This playlist is stored in Root->Playlist, so it would go back up to Root, then down to \Albums.

The reboot I experience with the full playlist file (may) be related to the Unicode option. 

Thanks Doc.

Can you tell me where the options are that you have put.  Just downloaded mediamonky but the only thing in options for playlists is the use unicode for m3u, create playlikst from new tracks and warn when duplicates.  I did get a playlist created but when looking at it its just plain text.  I cant see the M3U8 or force relative path & extended m3u options

\Music\Alter Bridge - Fortress\11 Alter Bridge - All Ends Well.flac
\Music\Alter Bridge - Fortress\04 Alter Bridge - Lover.flac
\Music\Alter Bridge - Fortress\08 Alter Bridge - Waters Rising.flac
\Music\Alter Bridge - One Day Remains\05 Alter Bridge - Metalingus.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\02 Amon Amarth - As Loke Falls.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\06 Amon Amarth - Blood Eagle.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\09 Amon Amarth - Coming Of The Tide.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\01 Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods.flac

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #813 of 6,262
  I have to do a more thorough testing, but I did not find a whole lot of improvement in the SQ when I used the N3 as a USB DAC with my Windows Laptop. The SQ is not much better than the SQ on my HTC phone that doesn't have the good DAC. Maybe, it needs a burn-in period as others have suggested. The music files that I tested are not lossless but are either 320 or 256 kbps mp3s. I haven't tested the SQ of the player itself. I am waiting for my new micro SD card which I will be receiving today. 

However, there were no problems downloading the drivers and connecting it to my laptop.

HTC flagships always have good inbuilt DACs.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #814 of 6,262

If you want a clean black background, stick to your original purchase color 
tongue.gif

Got N3 today, and REALLY enjoying it!  Had it on burn in for about 5+ hours, sound really opens up.  Just had it paired up with my Note 4, what a treat being able to stream Spotify with N3 in my hand and my phone somewhere across the room, and not just streaming but being able to Play/Pause and Skip the tracks (N3 works great as a bluetooth wireless remote playback control), and of course change the volume.

This little guy is packed with features!!!

I just did some testing around this.  I can bluetooth any music from phone either stored in memory or from amazon to the N3 and it plays through wired headphones.  I also had my bluetooth headphones connected but i couldnt get any music to play.  It could see the connection though as the phone recognised the play pause command from headphones so not sure if it cant do in and out for bluetooth.  

Also connected the mojo and amazon music also played through this.   

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #815 of 6,262
  Hi all, 

I was about to buy the Fiio X1 ii but then i saw that there are several issues with it. Then i arrived on this thread and learned a bit about this Cayin N3. Now because of you, I want to buy the Cayin N3 ! It'll remplace my old iriver Spinn, which has only 8Go.

I have one question, where did you buy your Cayin N3 ? I live in France and there's no shop where i can buy it. Should i order it on Ebay and wait 2 weeks ? 

Hi,
You can get one (or pre-order, it is not very clear) at Audiogarden (http://audiogarden.fr) in Paris. At a fair price IMHO. I am planning to go there next week to test the N3 with my headphones.
Bon w-e

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #816 of 6,262
Having a bit more of a play with the EQ. I can get the custom setting to work. However the issue is that Off is not working. It stays on the previous setting. If I press right to the rock preset and then go back to off it doesn't change. Similarly if I go left to my custom "bass head" setting and back to off it stays on custom.

Apr 1, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #817 of 6,262
  Thanks Doc.

Can you tell me where the options are that you have put.  Just downloaded mediamonky but the only thing in options for playlists is the use unicode for m3u, create playlikst from new tracks and warn when duplicates.  I did get a playlist created but when looking at it its just plain text.  I cant see the M3U8 or force relative path & extended m3u options

\Music\Alter Bridge - Fortress\11 Alter Bridge - All Ends Well.flac
\Music\Alter Bridge - Fortress\04 Alter Bridge - Lover.flac
\Music\Alter Bridge - Fortress\08 Alter Bridge - Waters Rising.flac
\Music\Alter Bridge - One Day Remains\05 Alter Bridge - Metalingus.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\02 Amon Amarth - As Loke Falls.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\06 Amon Amarth - Blood Eagle.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\09 Amon Amarth - Coming Of The Tide.flac
\Music\Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods\01 Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods.flac

Once you are in MM, and have your card in, you'll notice it appears in the tree on the left. Clicking on that gives you the configuration, starting with the Summary page. The far right tab is Options. Underneath that, the last tree item is Playlists. You can set it like this:

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #819 of 6,262
Enjoying this DAP so far.
Although, these 2 bugs are annoying and should be addressed in FW update:
1. The folder can't be deleted without choosing "folder operation" in settings.
2. I can't customize the startup volume, it's always go back to 20.

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #820 of 6,262
Thanks again Doc i appreciate the help

Its sort of worked.  The playlist is showing in the playlist folder on the N3 and has all the extra information in and is now an M3U8 file.  I can play the playlist from the music library\tf card\playlist folder but when going in via music category and into playlist it wont select and gives error No file in playlist.  

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #821 of 6,262
  Thanks again Doc i appreciate the help

Its sort of worked.  The playlist is showing in the playlist folder on the N3 and has all the extra information in and is now an M3U8 file.  I can play the playlist from the music library\tf card\playlist folder but when going in via music category and into playlist it wont select and gives error No file in playlist.  

That's normal, both the Cayin N3 and Fiio X1-II exhibit the same thing. The Category based "Playlist" is for playlists that you build in the player itself (hitting the heart symbol when playing a track) and ignores your M3U/M3U8 playlists. To get to those, you have to access your list via the Folder chooser.

I've been suggesting that the firmware writers make the "internal" playlist nothing more than a blank M3U8 file that you are adding/subtracting from so that it's easier to copy off the card and edit. But, I don't know if it's possible since the internal playlist is stored in the players RAM and not on the card. 

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #822 of 6,262
Enjoying this DAP so far.
Although, these 2 bugs are annoying and should be addressed in FW update:
1. The folder can't be deleted without choosing "folder operation" in settings.
2. I can't customize the startup volume, it's always go back to 20.

To sort the volume go into the music settings folder then set the start up volume to memory and this should remember and keep the volume to the level it was at when turned off.  

Im not sure on folder as i do it all through computer

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #824 of 6,262
To sort the volume go into the music settings folder then set the start up volume to memory and this should remember and keep the volume to the level it was at when turned off.  

Im not sure on folder as i do it all through computer

Thanks for the tip about volume.

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #825 of 6,262
  @fumachu I've always preferred Mojo's coax over its USB input. Actually I prefer it with several other DACs as well, I find it to deliver a fuller and better layered sound. 

@Ultrainferno  I just received my N3 with the coax cable and I truly prefer the coax over the usb on the Mojo. Always found that USB sound a little bit thin and sterile compare to coax. Same thing happens when I'm using my Chord 2Qute, much prefer my Siltech Anniversary coax cable over the USB JH Labs Mirage.

I have now to compare how the N3 compare to the M1 with USB on the Mojo....But for sure I prefer the coax over the usb after trying the N3 with coax cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back