Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 2, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #872 of 6,262
  Hey Andy,

So I've noticed something about the SQ on the N3...with certain tracks, such as:

- Rush, Limelight (The Spirit of Radio, 24-96 HDTracks) FLAC
- Dar Williams, Mercy of the Fallen (Beauty of the Rain, 24-88/DVD-A source) FLAC
- Kay Hanley, Fall (Cherry Marmalade, 16-44/CD) FLAC

In these tracks, the drums and cymbals sound very plastic with missing resonance and reverberation. There's other tracks that I've noticed it in also, but not as prominent as these. I compared the same files on a MOTU 828 and RME Fireface using both Genelec 8020 and Tannoy 501a, as well as a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones and can hear the instruments very clearly. This is with EQ off on everything. I've also tried changing the digital filter to all of the different choices and SUPER SLOW was the best. But, the drums don't have the proper reverberance and the cymbals come through as "ting" instead of showing the full splash. The ride cymbal also sounds very flat and has no resonance. You could also describe it as the tone is being cut off half way through ringing.

As an additional check, I put the same card into my Fiio X1-II with JH-5, UERR, and JH-16. It shows the drums to full resonance and the cymbals ring the same as on the Genelecs. Oh, and the UERR was the earphone that was most noticeable with the N3.

I then tried to do some EQ (the first test was off) to see if I could bring them out and while I was able to make the "ting" louder, they never reverberated correctly.

I don't know if it's a firmware issue with timing or the nature of the AK4490, but it's definitely not correct as my calibrated studio montor setup shows the tones clear as day and my comparison to the Fiio does as well. 

I've also noticed that if you turn 1 or more bands on the EQ all the way up or down, it'll actually not work and treat the entry as '0'.

This sounds a bit worying for people that are still on the fence (like me)..Other owners out there who can chime in? Is this an issue or perhaps a faulty unit?

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #873 of 6,262
  Hey Andy,

So I've noticed something about the SQ on the N3...with certain tracks, such as:

- Rush, Limelight (The Spirit of Radio, 24-96 HDTracks) FLAC
- Dar Williams, Mercy of the Fallen (Beauty of the Rain, 24-88/DVD-A source) FLAC
- Kay Hanley, Fall (Cherry Marmalade, 16-44/CD) FLAC

In these tracks, the drums and cymbals sound very plastic with missing resonance and reverberation. There's other tracks that I've noticed it in also, but not as prominent as these. I compared the same files on a MOTU 828 and RME Fireface using both Genelec 8020 and Tannoy 501a, as well as a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones and can hear the instruments very clearly. This is with EQ off on everything. I've also tried changing the digital filter to all of the different choices and SUPER SLOW was the best. But, the drums don't have the proper reverberance and the cymbals come through as "ting" instead of showing the full splash. The ride cymbal also sounds very flat and has no resonance. You could also describe it as the tone is being cut off half way through ringing.

As an additional check, I put the same card into my Fiio X1-II with JH-5, UERR, and JH-16. It shows the drums to full resonance and the cymbals ring the same as on the Genelecs. Oh, and the UERR was the earphone that was most noticeable with the N3.

I then tried to do some EQ (the first test was off) to see if I could bring them out and while I was able to make the "ting" louder, they never reverberated correctly.

I don't know if it's a firmware issue with timing or the nature of the AK4490, but it's definitely not correct as my calibrated studio montor setup shows the tones clear as day and my comparison to the Fiio does as well. 

I've also noticed that if you turn 1 or more bands on the EQ all the way up or down, it'll actually not work and treat the entry as '0'.

I just listened and compared these 3 tracks (not FLAC, but 320kbps mp3) between N3 and X1ii, using UERR and MDR7506, went back'n'forth multiple times, and don't hear any issues with drums/percussions as you have described above.  I assume you're referring to some ADSR envelope anomaly you hear, perhaps release time?  What I would recommend, in Music Settings take a look at Digital Filter (AKM4490 has different filters) and play around with it.  I'm using Sharp filter.  Also, my N3 already has over 35hrs of burn in.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #874 of 6,262

I just listened and compared these 3 tracks (not FLAC, but 320kbps mp3) between N3 and X1ii, using UERR and MDR7506, went back'n'forth multiple times, and don't hear any issues with drums/percussions as you have described above.  I assume you're referring to some ADSR envelope anomaly you hear, perhaps release time?  What I would recommend, in Music Settings take a look at Digital Filter (AKM4490 has different filters) and play around with it.  I'm using Sharp filter.  Also, my N3 already has over 35hrs of burn in.

35 hours. Lucky Bast**d

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #876 of 6,262
@Andykong
Is it possible to add "lock screen operation" future in the new FW update? I press the buttons in my pocket all the time causing the player to stop or move to another song. Really annoying.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #877 of 6,262
  @Andykong
Is it possible to add "lock screen operation" future in the new FW update? I press the buttons in my pocket all the time causing the player to stop or move to another song. Really annoying.

I'll second that even before getting mine in my hands.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #879 of 6,262
Yes it does. But these buttons are big very easy to push.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #880 of 6,262
I could but not sure if it makes sense to compare entry level with flagship considering different signature, dacs, etc. Besides a different sound sig, it will be inferior in sound performance, though not the features. I think we have to be realistic, Cayin designed a great feature-packed $150 dap targeted at specific group of audiophiles and enthusiast on the go, which is not intended to compete with their other mid fi and summit fi models :wink:

I agree whole heartidly, I'll also say after playing it over 20 Hrs since I got it Friday the N3 sounds awesome, best I've heard at the $150 mark and features that used to come on players two to three times the N3. I also prefer it without case, finish is so sweet:smile: My only request would be a button lock but for a buck fifty this player excels on playback:thumbsup: Very nice job Cayin:smiley:

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #881 of 6,262

I've already tried all the different SCDFs and no difference, that was part of the initial test. My original suspicion was that the SCDF was stuck in some state as it's digitally triggered on the AK4490 via a bitwise combination. I don't believer in burn-in, but my N3 has over a 100 hours on it. 

Interestingly, I just reset the player and it didn't make a difference. But, then I reset it 3 in a row and now it is correct. I have a feeling this may be related to the EQ switching bug I ran into.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #882 of 6,262
Hello Friends - Newbie here, with my N3 which just arrived through the Massdrop. Please, if you would kindly, clue me in on how the TF slot thingy works. Seems that something is already in the slot. I'm hesitant to poke/yank it out. I couldn't find anything in the instructions or online to help. Thanks.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #883 of 6,262
  Yes it does. But these buttons are big very easy to push.

What about the power buttons or volume? Do either of them come on as well? Someone else mentioned it would be difficult for someone to accidentally turn on the device while in a pocket because those buttons were much smaller. I just wanted another opinion. I know the X1 does this with it's power button (since it's rather large as well) which is one of the reasons why I do not have it in my pocket. However, this still occurs if I have it in a bag.

If Cayin ever plans on making alternative modal cases, I'd love for a flip leather case to be made similar to the ones made for ipods. I wonder if any third party companies plan on making additional cases for this device?

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #884 of 6,262
Hello Friends - Newbie here, with my N3 which just arrived through the Massdrop. Please, if you would kindly, clue me in on how the TF slot thingy works. Seems that something is already in the slot. I'm hesitant to poke/yank it out. I couldn't find anything in the instructions or online to help. Thanks.

That's a protector slug, just push in on it and it'll eject.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #885 of 6,262
@Andykong : I have a suggestion based on our latest thread discussion regarding enabling/disabling buttons and accidental triggering while in your pocket.  If Cayin can release N3 case with a cutout for buttons on the left/right sides, it should solve this problem without a need to disable buttons.  When buttons are covered (silicone case) or device is naked in your pocket, it's easy to trigger them.  When you have a cutout around the buttons, they become recessed and you have to poke your finger through to push them.  A very simple solution, the same way how it was implemented in i5 case, which looks elegant and relative cheap (meaning the price) 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back