Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 30, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #736 of 6,262
  My phone doesn't have a very good camera, so it's hard to show it but yeah the case has a different hue when on the N3. But it is hard to notice it in dim light. The only place you can notice that is the area surrounding the USB-C slot and the 3.5mm jack. The case covers everything else. 

Good enough to see it. Since cameras on phones are getting good you can get a very good digital camera on Eblot cheap. But then you have less money for audio.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #737 of 6,262
  Good enough to see it. Since cameras on phones are getting good you can get a very good digital camera on Eblot cheap. But then you have less money for audio.

I am waiting for the price of LG V20 to drop, I cannot afford it now as I bought the N3 and a bunch of IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

LG V20 has everything I need - very good camera, awesome DAC, a removable battery & Android 7.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #738 of 6,262
  I am waiting for the price of LG V20 to drop, I cannot afford it now as I bought the N3 and a bunch of IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

LG V20 has everything I need - very good camera, awesome DAC, a removable battery & Android 7.

No argument on that choice. Sweet bit of electronics. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #741 of 6,262
Mar 30, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #742 of 6,262
I have marked the bug earlier on, but it won't be ready until the second round of firmware update, we put the priority on ReplayGain and will follow up with this EQ bug after that.

Thanks Andy,

I'll take that ReplayGain priority first! I can live with the EQ bug, at least I've kinda got a workaround figured out for now. But, yes, definitely ... ReplayGain!

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #743 of 6,262
  Thanks Andy,

I'll take that ReplayGain priority first! I can live with the EQ bug, at least I've kinda got a workaround figured out for now. But, yes, definitely ... ReplayGain!

another vote 

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #744 of 6,262

Really looking forward to your photo. I enjoy T50RP mod cans and Alpha Dog is my preferred closed back headphone, but it sounds a bit "congested" with N3, that's why I asked about the soundstage of N3 with Vibro II.

I'm listening to the N3 with the ZMFs now and it sounds fantastic, not congested at all. Granted, I get considerably more soundstage on my desktop setup but for a small player like this, it's way, way better than I expected. On some tracks, I wish I could get slightly more volume than max on high gain but it's really enough in most cases. 

BTW, feeling kinda plain with my black player and all this Cyan talk.....

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #746 of 6,262
So I don't seem to have the EQ bug but I did just run in to something I wanted to run by everyone that has the N3:

I had no problem connecting to Bluetooth in my car and my motorcycle helmet but when I try to connect to the bluetooth system on my house, I always get a Connection Failed message. No such message when I use mine or my wife's iPhone so I know it's the N3. The only thing I can think of is that the house requires a code to pair with. I'm wondering if the N3 is returning an error because the code is required and it somehow the N3 isn't receiving the message. So my question to anyone out there that has the N3 is-did you ever try to connect BT to a device that needs a code?

This is probably something we have not facilitated in our Bluetooth features, I have noted the requirement now and will address it in our next review meeting. :beerchug:

Scott, I have talked to our Engineer this morning, find out that the situation have been considered but we can't support BT with a PIN or password requirements because Cayin N3 doesn't come with a keypad/keyoard, and the screen is too small to implement an on-screen keyboard to facilitate password authentication procedure.

Sorry for unable to provide a better solution at this point. I'll raise the possibility to add a numeric input option on BT in the future, but this will be a low-priority item and I can't promise a follow up date immediately.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 30, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #747 of 6,262
Thanks for the follow up Andy! Not really a big deal, as long as I know I'm not doing something wrong. Looks like the EQ thing is the only real bug we could come up with so far and that's pretty minor too. I'm really thrilled with the n3, thanks for everything.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #748 of 6,262
  With the EQ can be achieved a deep punchy bass without overpowering the treble? I can not say I am a bass head but close to it.

If someone used the N3 as a computer DAC can share some opinions about the level of low frequencies as I would like to compare it with the FiiO E10K. I would sell the E10K and keep the N3 for both portable and PC DAC listening (with the ATH-MSR7 headphones using the Foobar2000 player and mostly 320s and FLACs). I like a good deep clear bass but not the muddy type.
I am an entry level audiophile but I do like it a lot even if my budget doesn't allow me, yet, to buy the more expensive toys.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #749 of 6,262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back