Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 1, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #5,731 of 6,262
One thing I'd like to see in the next firmware update is the option for the output jack to default to the last used mode rather than headphone. I use my player mostly in the car. I have trouble pairing it with bluetooth (it's the car stereo's problem) so I generally use the aux input. It's an inconvenience to switch to line out mode every time I turn the player on. I imagine most people use headphones more than I do, but if the default is last used that shouldn't be a problem for them.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #5,732 of 6,262
One thing I'd like to see in the next firmware update is the option for the output jack to default to the last used mode rather than headphone. I use my player mostly in the car. I have trouble pairing it with bluetooth (it's the car stereo's problem) so I generally use the aux input. It's an inconvenience to switch to line out mode every time I turn the player on. I imagine most people use headphones more than I do, but if the default is last used that shouldn't be a problem for them.

Cayin has already said a long time ago that they will not do that. It is for safety reasons and I , for one, am happy about that. I sometimes do use line out to use it as a source for my tube amp. If I were to forget and then use it with a sensitive iem... that would be my iem and my ear drums blown.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5,733 of 6,262
I understand the safety consideration. The player I had before this one handled it with a warning message that appeared before entering line-out mode regardless of which mode the jack had been in before. It said something like, "You are entering line-out mode. Ear or equipment damage may result. Are you sure?" The default answer was "no." You had to move the cursor to "yes" if you really wanted to do it. Like the N3, moving the cursor was a coordination test. Obviously it's not as safe as making it impossible to enter line-out without navigating the menus but it does require a conscious choice and physical effort by the user.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #5,734 of 6,262
I understand the safety consideration. The player I had before this one handled it with a warning message that appeared before entering line-out mode regardless of which mode the jack had been in before. It said something like, "You are entering line-out mode. Ear or equipment damage may result. Are you sure?" The default answer was "no." You had to move the cursor to "yes" if you really wanted to do it. Like the N3, moving the cursor was a coordination test. Obviously it's not as safe as making it impossible to enter line-out without navigating the menus but it does require a conscious choice and physical effort by the user.

That is an excellent idea about the warning message appearing regardless of which mode the jack had been in before.

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #5,735 of 6,262
A friend is ready to get a DAP. I used to be up to date, and at the time bought an Ibasso DX90. I still love it. Particularly the sound, and that I can change the battery on the go. Is this a comparable DAP? Any other options in this price range. Not a fan of most Fiio gear, btw, and don't really want to recommend that.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #5,736 of 6,262

Hi, for safety reason, we cannot do that. Please check out this link for our explanation: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-270#post-13705660

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #5,738 of 6,262
My 192 kHz files can't be played on my Onkyo TX NR 646 amp (the manual says it can handle this frequency).
I connected my N3 via the Cayin USB-C to RCA cable.
DSD files work perfectly, 96 kHz also.
I use the latest firmware for the N3 (downloaded it yesterday).
What could be the problem ?

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #5,739 of 6,262
My 192 kHz files can't be played on my Onkyo TX NR 646 amp (the manual says it can handle this frequency).
I connected my N3 via the Cayin USB-C to RCA cable.
DSD files work perfectly, 96 kHz also.
I use the latest firmware for the N3 (downloaded it yesterday).
What could be the problem ?

Can N3 playback the music locally? I mean through headphone output instead of the coaxial output?
What is the full detail of your 192kHz file? FLAC or WAV? 16bit/24bit/32bit?

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #5,741 of 6,262
Yes on my headphones the 192 kHz files play fine.
They are FLAC, 24 bit.

Can you download the following track and see if it can output through the USB to RCA cable?
http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L-106/2L-106_stereo_PCM-192k_MAGNIFICAT_04.flac

The USB to RCA cable is in fact a S/PDIF coaxial cable, the original S/PDIF coaxial specification was upto 24bit/96kHz only, we have enhanced it to 24/192 but we are indeed at the edge of the bandwidth limit of coaxial cable, that's why I am being caution when we deal with 24/192 files on Type-C to RCA cable.

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #5,743 of 6,262
Alas, your file also didn't work.

Hi dicodin, I tried the file from that link this morning and no matter by a USB to RCA cable or locally, it could can output 24/192 and work flawless on my side.
upload_2018-7-9_12-14-39.png

upload_2018-7-6_15-37-27.png

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #5,744 of 6,262
Alas, your file also didn't work.

Hi dicodin, I tried the file from that link this morning and no matter by a USB to RCA cable or locally, it could can output 24/192 and work flawless on my side.

We tested and confirmed N3 can output 24bit/192kHz to our iDAC-6 through coaxial correctly, with the track that I just showed you.

You probably need to confirm your Onkyo TX NR 646 can RECEIVE 24Bit/192kHz from the coaxial input. As I mentioned previously, the original bandwidth of Coaxial S/PDIF was 24Bit/96kHz only, so the way I interpret your current situation is Onkyo NR646 can decode 24Bit/192kHz but its coaxial input can only receive 24Bit/96kHz which is the NORMAL limit of S/PDIF coaxial, if you need to playback 24Bit/192kHz through the Onkyo NR646, maybe you need to use USB input rather then coaxial input.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #5,745 of 6,262
I tried with a USB stick: some of the 192 kHz files are played, and strangely some are not.
I'll just forget about playing hi res files using the N3 until I change my amp.
Thanks for you help Andy anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back