Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 31, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #5,641 of 6,262
When and where did you buy it? If you use it by following user manual and don't drop it or hit it, normally this problem will never occur. hsilmi's issue indeed very wired.
Bought it last october from ebay, specifically this seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382076640928?ViewItem=&item=382076640928
It was new with the box sealed, everything works, even bluetooth connection and the battery duration and charge is fine, but if you shake gently the N3, you can feel how a "big" part inside is loose, as I said, I believe is the battery.

May 31, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #5,642 of 6,262
well to be honest mine is still working properly, by moderate using everyday, the moving parts inside barely noticeable. when i shaked it (vertical direction) bit harder, then you'll be notice it.
and when im trying Bluetooth connectiion to my ATH-ar5bt and Bose AE2 wireless, the connection is really bad. even just put the player in my pocket or just simple cover it with my hand, the connection getting worse or sometimes disconnect. Thats why i assumed that, because of the moving parts inside hitted bluetooth parts or something. any enlightment for me @svil3 ?

Well I use the player almost every day, like 2 or 3 hours per day; I take care of it a lot, even I have the official case to protect it, in my case you can feel the loose part when you gently sake it in horizontal direction, since it feels like is a big part moving inside I assume is the battery.

I haven't tried using the BT connection with some headphones but I use HibyLink every day and the connection is pretty good actually, like I said everything seems to be working fine at the moment, but this "loose part" is making me nervous, I been seriously thinking in open the player and see if I can repair it or something.

May 31, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #5,643 of 6,262
Bought it last october from ebay, specifically this seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382076640928?ViewItem=&item=382076640928
It was new with the box sealed, everything works, even bluetooth connection and the battery duration and charge is fine, but if you shake gently the N3, you can feel how a "big" part inside is loose, as I said, I believe is the battery.
I just shaked my N3 in horizontal direction and felt the sound. There was indeed a little sound in my N3, which is the button sound for there is a very little gap between the side button and the player. But if you still think the problem is very serious, you can contact your retailer and let them test it first. I would like to remind that we don't suggest customers to disassemble the player by themselves. Because it may damage your device and void the warranty.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #5,644 of 6,262
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #5,645 of 6,262
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #5,647 of 6,262
Thank you very much for your prompt feedback.
Can you please tell me if using this will have any effect on battery life?
That I can’t help you with as I’ve never tried it, but I imagine the USB drive will draw some power from the N3.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #5,650 of 6,262
A USB drive will use up the battery more quickly. I'm not sure how much, I've only tried it once or twice since I mostly use my N3 when I'm moving around.

I have a 256GB in mine, and it works fine. I'm waiting for the big cards to come down in price, right now it's not a big deal for me to have several "smaller" cards that I swap out.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #5,651 of 6,262
An average usb external 2.5 inch drive runs about 2.5 Watts to run. This is due to drive manufacturers attempting to support the usb 2.0 standard that limits current draw to .5 Amps since some devices have a cutoff if the port draws more than spec.

The Cayin N3 has a 2500 mAh 3.7V battery to power the unit.

USB uses a 5V output, so we must assume a step-up between battery and USB

So a 2500 mAh 3.7V battery has 9.5 watt hours which when divided by 2.5 gives you 3.8 hours total time (in theory).

In reality, the player is going to use part of the capacity and conversions from one voltage to another are never 100% efficient so realistically battery life with an external spinning drive is likely to be somewhere ballpark 3.5 hours tops and probably will be significantly lower.

It might look tempting to use an external SSD as they usually draw something like .3 Watts at idle, but most require a startup current of 1.4-1.6 Amp which is more power than most USB ports can provide and will certainly over-tax the N3's meager supply.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #5,652 of 6,262
Thank you very much again.
And can you tell me if a micro SD card of 400 GB will work with N3?

Hi, N3 support 400GB theoretically but we only test up to 256GB as that is the biggest capacity TF card available when we submit ME (or N5ii) for testing

Last edited:

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #5,653 of 6,262
Thank you very much for your prompt feedback.
Can you please tell me if using this will have any effect on battery life?
N3 OTG has limited current capacity, we can only spare 300mA to external device, which is good for some SSD such as M.2, 2.5" HDD is not possible, you need 1A to maintain the high speed spinning which is tough for DAP

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #5,654 of 6,262
Hello,
Very impressed with this DAP. Line out to a Violectric V100 is a great combination with no sound degradation.
I'm wonder if an USB Type C pen drive with 256 GB will work with N3 (like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Flash-Drive-Type-C/dp/B06XC1WGQR?th=1).
Has anyone tried this?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Hélder

I frequently use the OTG feature with my N3. I like to use this USB C to USB 3 adapter so I can use any of the flash drives that I already own. The first photo shows the N3 with a 256GB flash drive using the adapter.

I did eventually get a USB C pen drive as well. It is only a 64GB drive. Including a photo to show that a fairly large headphone plug will still fit next to it in the jack. The third photo shows the USB C flash drive with the Hidizs AP200. That photo shows that with the larger thicker body of the AP200, there is more room for the drive.

I should add that I get about 8 or 9 hours of play with this setup. Normally I get 12 hours.

R0012796.JPG

R0013381.JPG

R0012994.JPG

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #5,655 of 6,262
I frequently use the OTG feature with my N3. I like to use this USB C to USB 3 adapter so I can use any of the flash drives that I already own. The first photo shows the N3 with a 256GB flash drive using the adapter.

I did eventually get a USB C pen drive as well. It is only a 64GB drive. Including a photo to show that a fairly large headphone plug will still fit next to it in the jack. The third photo shows the USB C flash drive with the Hidizs AP200. That photo shows that with the larger thicker body of the AP200, there is more room for the drive.

I should add that I get about 8 or 9 hours of play with this setup. Normally I get 12 hours.

Thank you for your feedback. It was very usefull! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back