Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jun 13, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #5,671 of 6,262
And how does it go with the treble? Let's say I'm sensitive, so I prefer more controlled highs, but still maintain good definition.
I am somewhat treble sensitive, and I don't have any problems at all with the P1s. I did switch the tips to Spiral Dots, they help tame the treble a bit (or maybe focus it better) and give a bump to the bass. In terms of definition and resolution, they are amazing. I'm not alone in thinking they're a fabulous bang for the buck -- even more so if you get the MassDrop version.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #5,672 of 6,262
Hi! Currently I pair it with an Oriveti Basic and for home I use a Meze 99 Neo. The result in the 2 cases pleases me, but I feel that there is an excess of warm and bass. In fact, with the filter in "Sharp" it seems that better results are achieved with this type of headphone signature. Now, I'm looking to update the oriveti basic, for something with less "warm" and something "more balanced" and "clear" but maintaining good body and the necessary bass. For the most part, I listen to many albums of Guitar Instrumental (Steve Vai, Satriani, Greg Howe, etc), Hard Rock, Thrash Metal, Alternative Pop (I love Bjork and Roisin Murphy), Smooth Jazz and House subgenres.

You are treble sensitive but you think 99Neo is excessively warm? That will be a bit difficult.

If you can find a brand new or decent condition Sony EX1000, go for it. I have seen new EX1000 at Hong Kong selling at around US$320, and second handed at below $200. They should fit your music preference IMHO.

Another suggestion will be Vsonic GR09, not sure if this is available in your country.

If you can stress the budget a bit, then please check out Dune DK3001. JVC FD01 is actaully quite good and FD02 is right on your budget but I doubt if this will be too warm for your taste.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #5,673 of 6,262
You are treble sensitive but you think 99Neo is excessively warm? That will be a bit difficult.

If you can find a brand new or decent condition Sony EX1000, go for it. I have seen new EX1000 at Hong Kong selling at around US$320, and second handed at below $200. They should fit your music preference IMHO.

Another suggestion will be Vsonic GR09, not sure if this is available in your country.

If you can stress the budget a bit, then please check out Dune DK3001. JVC FD01 is actaully quite good and FD02 is right on your budget but I doubt if this will be too warm for your taste.

Hello Andy! What I'm looking for is a iem that it can be complemented with the N3, and do not go to extremes (neither very warm / bassy and not very bright).

About the EX1000 and FD02 that you mention, by its shape (ergonomically), are not my total pleasure. The vsonic did not know him, so I'll take it into account. And on the DK3001, it already escapes my budget. What do you think about Falcon C, B400 or Oriveti New Primacy? Have you had the opportunity to match the N3 with any of these?

Regards.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #5,674 of 6,262
Hello Andy! What I'm looking for is a iem that it can be complemented with the N3, and do not go to extremes (neither very warm / bassy and not very bright).

About the EX1000 and FD02 that you mention, by its shape (ergonomically), are not my total pleasure. The vsonic did not know him, so I'll take it into account. And on the DK3001, it already escapes my budget. What do you think about Falcon C, B400 or Oriveti New Primacy? Have you had the opportunity to match the N3 with any of these?

Regards.

I only tried Dune Falcon among these three, sounds good with N3 , but DK3001 offer significantly better separation, if you can live with this and is looking for an IEM with very good mid-range and vocal with N3, the Falcon is a good choice..

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #5,675 of 6,262
I only tried Dune Falcon among these three, sounds good with N3 , but DK3001 offer significantly better separation, if you can live with this and is looking for an IEM with very good mid-range and vocal with N3, the Falcon is a good choice..

Thank you very much for your suggestion Andy. Unfortunately, the K3001 escapes my budget, so I think I'm fine with the Falcon C.

Regards.

Jun 18, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #5,677 of 6,262
Hello, may I ask you please, I want to use Cayin N3 as a digital source via USB OTG to my portable DAC. I received an information recently that the N3 EQ would not affect USB playback. Is it true? Does EQ work with the last firmeware (3.0)? And does the USB output provide the best clear quality to external DACs (without any digital filters, etc.)?
Thanks.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #5,679 of 6,262
Announcement of Cayin N3 firmware v3.1

upload_2018-6-20_11-28-2.png

http://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13550

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Optimize Bluetooth output to enhance compatibility with Bluetooth Headphone

2. Optimize USB Audio Out to enhance compatibility with DAC

3. Enhance Bluetooth function to enable playback DSD64 music files to BT devices

4. Other bugs fix and enhancements

Cayin N3 Firmware Upgrade

· Each version of firmware might contain minor different, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N3 DAP.

· Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrade will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to mal-operation or any other reason. For these reasons, you might be required to format your N3 DAP and result in losing person data stored on the player. We strongly suggest you backup all your personal data stored on the player before you perform firmware upgrade.

· The N3 firmware cannot be used in other product, and the firmware from other product cannot be used in N3

Firmware upgrades procedure

1. For safety reason, please make sure the N3 DAP has not less than 50% battery power before you proceed, otherwise please charge up the player before you upgrade the firmware

2. Download the latest firmware from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). Decompress and copy the N3 firmware file (update.upt) into the root directory of a TF card.

3. Insert the TF card into the N3 DAP and complete your firmware upgrade with either one of the following steps:

· While N3 has been turned on, select “System Setup” and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list, select “System Update”, the system will complete the upgrade process automatically, and reboot the player after update is completed.

· While N3 has been turned off, hold the round physical “Enter” button, and then hold the “Power on/off” button, the system start the firmware upgrade process and will complete the process automatically. It will reboot the player after update is completed.

Note: N3 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.

When the upgrade is completed, you can verify the current firmware version number by selecting “System Setting” menu, under “About the Player and storage information” option, check out the “Firmware Version” detail.

Attention

· Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade

· Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade

· Please update your Music Library after firmware upgrade

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-19_11-40-1.png
    upload_2018-6-19_11-40-1.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-6-20_11-27-46.png
    upload_2018-6-20_11-27-46.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #5,680 of 6,262
Was there ever a fix to connect to a Car Bluetooth where the car required of the pin number.. also when the N3 is charging and the two lights are blinking is there a way to keep those on during use

We can't support BT with a PIN or password requirements because Cayin N3 doesn't come with a keypad/keyoard, and the screen is too small to implement an on-screen keyboard to facilitate password authentication procedure. When N3 complete charging, its two lights will be always-on.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #5,681 of 6,262
I just got the N3 today. I am not able to connect my iPhone to the N3 and stream Spotify from my iPhone app, and BT it over to the N3. Can someone please tell me the steps to do this?
1.Go to Bluetooth and set it on meanwhile turn off Hibylink in N3
2.Turn on your iphone Bluetooth and you can see Cayin N3 below other devices option.
3.Click "Cayin N3" on your iphone to connect to N3 BT
4. Open spotify and enjoy your music

Last edited:

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #5,682 of 6,262
We can't support BT with a PIN or password requirements because Cayin N3 doesn't come with a keypad/keyoard, and the screen is too small to implement an on-screen keyboard to facilitate password authentication procedure. When N3 complete charging, its two lights will be always-on.

Thank you for the reply.
I am aware of the lights staying on at full charge, it is when I am off the charger and being mobile that I would like to have the lights stay on. Would help for low light conditions. Is this possible or are the lights only for charging purpose?

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #5,683 of 6,262
Thank you for the reply.
I am aware of the lights staying on at full charge, it is when I am off the charger and being mobile that I would like to have the lights stay on. Would help for low light conditions. Is this possible or are the lights only for charging purpose?
I'm afraid not. It seems to be there as only a charging indicator. It would be neat if firmware v3.2 could enable this as an option, though Cayin did not create the OS of this device.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #5,684 of 6,262
Thank you for the reply.

We can customized that, but we don't see the point of doing that. Turn off the notification light after removing the Android device from the charger is a common practice. To make sure the UI and controls are easily understood, we try to follow the general Android practice unless there is a demand from majority users.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #5,685 of 6,262
We can customized that, but we don't see the point of doing that. Turn off the notification light after removing the Android device from the charger is a common practice. To make sure the UI and controls are easily understood, we try to follow the general Android practice unless there is a demand from majority users.

I would NOT want the lights on while I am listening to music because often the player is sitting next to me on the sofa while I am relaxing. The lights would be annoying... so if this were to ever be implemented I would want it to be optional.

Question: If I am not using Bluetooth nor Hiby and I do not use it as a DAC, is there any reason for me to update? Any bugs that were fixed that I should be aware of?

I only use it with headphones or iems plugged directly into the headphone jack. I only use the USB to charge or to use the OTG function with flashdrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back