Cayin iDAP-6 - versatile new desktop transport
Dec 25, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #391 of 424
My cable is just 0.75m long. The cable has a separate Etherchannel ( see picture below)

Robert
4FE26AF8-C008-440A-9C6E-B5B17CE2EFB3.jpeg

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #392 of 424
My cable is just 0.75m long. The cable has a separate Etherchannel ( see picture below)

Robert4FE26AF8-C008-440A-9C6E-B5B17CE2EFB3.jpeg
I just wanted to say that I now found the solution of the probem.
It was like we say in french a problem with the interface between the chair and the device - that means the user himself :wink:
In fact I simply forgot to switch from S/P to I2s on the Idap6.
Sorry for this inconvenience.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #395 of 424
I have the same problem. Artwork is just displayed when using Airplay/Bluetooth. I also have problems with gapless music in Mconnect: i always get a small break between music titles even when music stays in the same sampling rate

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #396 of 424
Just picked up an idap-6 and using mconnect player for ios to stream Tidal to my DAC - works great but I can't get the album art to show on the idap -- how can I accomplish this?
I have the same problem. Artwork is just displayed when using Airplay/Bluetooth. I also have problems with gapless music in Mconnect: i always get a small break between music titles even when music stays in the same sampling rate

I have checked the comment of mconnect players on google play, and notice other users has posted similar comment regarding Album Art display. Maybe we need to clarify the level of support from mconnect on Album Art. Do they support embedded album art? Do they have a file size limit? resolution limit?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 14, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #397 of 424
> Firmware Upgrade Procedure

1. For safety reason, please make sure the iDAP-6 will not power off during firmware upgrade process

2. Download the latest firmware from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). The firmware package should be downloaded as iDAP-6 V1.1.zip

3. Decompress and copy the iDAP-6 firmware file (update.upt) into the root directory of a SD card.

4. Insert the SD card into iDAP-6 and select System Upgrade under System Setting Menu

5. Select System Upgrade in the submenu, the system will complete the upgrade process automatically, and reboot the player after update is completed.

6. When the upgrade is completed, you can verify the current firmware version number by selecting “About Player” option under “System Setting” menu,
---

Hm.. Update does not start automatically if I try to insert SD-card first (4) and then try to run 'System Upgrade' in the submenu (5). Reverse order works fine: at first run 'System Upgrade' in the submenu (5) and then insert SD-card into the iDAP6 (4).
I just picked up one of these and am having the exact same issue, except reversing steps 4 and 5 doesn't work either - in both cases I get an "upgrade file not found" error message. Did you ever resolve your issue?

May 17, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #398 of 424
I just picked up one of these and am having the exact same issue, except reversing steps 4 and 5 doesn't work either - in both cases I get an "upgrade file not found" error message. Did you ever resolve your issue?

What is your current version of firmware?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 17, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #399 of 424
What is your current version of firmware?
Hi Andy! I successfully upgraded over the weekend - I was using a 512GB SD card without realizing the slot read a max of 256GB. Nothing more than a DFU interface problem.... :wink:

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated!

Jul 8, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #401 of 424
I really hesitate to buy this because it has a perfect size and a beautiful look but honestly 600 euros seems a bit steep if I can only use this with AirPlay (many cheaper units are enough for Airplay). Is it even Airplay 2 or 1 ? I have a NAS and if I understand well, the issues with DLNA have not been fixed. I can of course plug a HDD to it, but for the price it will be a bit annoying to have to do this to make it work and my NAS will be wasted as music is almost its only use.

Plus I know that you will not reveal an upcoming product, but is there any plan for a Mk2 version like the iDac in the future ? Even if it is not this year ? This player ticked all the requirements (mass-market ones are either too large or too old) so I would certainly buy a fixed version and I'd rather pay more for this than buying a version without DLNA working.

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #402 of 424
@Andykong Please check compatibility with QNAP NAS, seems it works via DLNA only, IDAP-6 can not find it itself. WD MyCloud (twonky based) works fine.
I may have my answer here as I have a WD NAS (Ex2 Ultra with OS5), it would be good to have some confirmation as the (few) french users reviews are quite bad on average (either very good or very bad) and that this device seems completely abandoned (which is not a good sign). I can live with AirPlay 1 (the release date is incompatible with AirPlay 2 so I have my answer too) 16/48Khz because that is enough.

In lack of answer, I'll see whether I take the risk or not. Looks, Oled screen, iDac-6 Mk2 (which I bought on sale as endgame DAC) matching and size are the best I have seen for a "reasonnable" price (if we exclude mass-market products) but honestly the diversity of feedbacks is not reassuring.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #403 of 424
Hello again,

So I bought it even if I shouldn't have but at least I did not expected it to really work as a network player and after having tested it, I cannot reach my NAS (wired of wireless) and worse - iDap-6 (with 2.0 preinstalled, it seems to be a december 2020 model) is not even available as an Aiplay device (tested with ATV 4k, iPhone 11 Pro, iPad 2017, all with the latest firmware). So I think that there is a general network issue with this (which is weird because I see the device on Windows but the device cannot even read from Windows DLNA). I did not try it on another internet box, I will but it is not really urgent.
What surprises me is that Airplay seemed to work for everyone, but comments on this device are pretty old and it looks like that Cayin is done with it.

As a more positive comment, I am pretty surprised to notice that the sound produced by it seems better than iPhone+CCK or PC optical. I probably imagining things but well even if it was a placebo, the "local" use of this device really works and is quite pleasant (the "Update music library feature is quite fast) even if ergonomics is not perfect (like powering off/on is weirdly sensitive so that you can turn it on again after having turning it off).

Honestly, it is not worth the price in 2021 even if the build quality is great but the form factor and the overall look or pleasure to have a consistent stack might subjectively "justify" the purchase. Bottom line : objectively a disappointment (as all "network" capabilities are broken for me) but subjectively better than expected (because I finally do not care about these features). The iDap-6 + iDac-6 Mk2+HA-1A is really beautiful to have and pleasant to use.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #404 of 424
Another issue : music on SD card mostly does not work. Scanning music library makes the iDap-6 shutting down, I removed tracks and it completed. However, some tracks skip by themselves so it is not usable. It even stated that tracks were not playable...even if it is an exact image of my HDD (which hopefully works flawlessly, but I cannot then close the front gate). Is my unit defective of is it known issue ? I have a Samsung Class 10 UHS-I microSD card which has no issue on computer. I feel like the unit just lacks processing power.

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #405 of 424
Another issue : music on SD card mostly does not work. Scanning music library makes the iDap-6 shutting down, I removed tracks and it completed. However, some tracks skip by themselves so it is not usable. It even stated that tracks were not playable...even if it is an exact image of my HDD (which hopefully works flawlessly, but I cannot then close the front gate). Is my unit defective of is it known issue ? I have a Samsung Class 10 UHS-I microSD card which has no issue on computer. I feel like the unit just lacks processing power.
hmmm - i think you should try another card... when i buy my Idap-6 i use Samsung 128 mb sd card and from time to time i have some drop outs or even freeze whole thing so i have to restart Cayin. Never have this problem with hard drive but also in meantime i buy new card (kingston 256) and it works without problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back