Cayin iDAP-6 - versatile new desktop transport
Sep 22, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #376 of 424
I received the Cayin idac-6 MK2 last Friday and paired it with the iDAP 6 through i2S. Sounds fantastic!! Only problem is every time the iDAP changes tracks, a relay clicks in the idac and the sound drops out for a moment at the beginning of each track. Very annoying, and I can’t imagine it’s supposed to do this. I tried various settings on both devices including switching to usb but no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? The Gustard A 18 DAC does not do this, nor did my previous DAC the PS Audio Digital Link 3. Thanks.
Maybe @Andykong has some info?

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #377 of 424
I received the Cayin idac-6 MK2 last Friday and paired it with the iDAP 6 through i2S. Sounds fantastic!! Only problem is every time the iDAP changes tracks, a relay clicks in the idac and the sound drops out for a moment at the beginning of each track. Very annoying, and I can’t imagine it’s supposed to do this. I tried various settings on both devices including switching to usb but no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? The Gustard A 18 DAC does not do this, nor did my previous DAC the PS Audio Digital Link 3. Thanks.
Curious about this. My Audio GD D-27 doesn't do this when the IDAP changes tracks, but I'm thinking of getting the IDAC6 mkII to complete the stack.
How are the tracks changing? As in, are you streaming, or running them off a USB device or SD card?

Sep 30, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #378 of 424
Curious about this. My Audio GD D-27 doesn't do this when the IDAP changes tracks, but I'm thinking of getting the IDAC6 mkII to complete the stack.
How are the tracks changing? As in, are you streaming, or running them off a USB device or SD card?
The iDAP loses lock when I play tracks from Airplay or SD card. Also the same happens when I play through coaxial with the Cayin i5 portable DAP.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #380 of 424

It happens on every change track? To the best of my knowledge, it should happens at the following conditions
(1) startup from idle
(2) change the sampling frequency.

The click noise is a mute relay, we have this in the audio circuit because we need to mute a pop noise generated by the DAC chipset. We have a lot of discussion on the mute relay at N6ii thread, regarding an audio module with ES9038Q2M, I have explained why we need a mute relay and how we control that in the post. You can also Google "DAC switching relays sample rate change" to find out more about this problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #381 of 424
The iDAP loses lock when I play tracks from Airplay or SD card. Also the same happens when I play through coaxial with the Cayin i5 portable DAP.

Actually I just double checked and Spotify through AirPlay from iDAP-6 over i2S to iDAC-6 MK II DOES NOT lose the lock. Strange.

Sorry, can you explain "loses lock"? I am not familiar with this term and can't figure out the problem.

Oct 8, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #382 of 424
Sorry, can you explain "loses lock"? I am not familiar with this term and can't figure out the problem.
Thanks for the response Andy.
Even when the sample rate is the same between consecutive songs I hear the relay click and the sound drops out for just moment. This happens with IDAP-6 through i2S and optical and usb, and with Cayin i5 DAP. It holds the TV signal through COAXIAL no problem and Airplay with Spotify doesn’t drop out.
I’m exchanging this unit for a new one so I’ll let you know here if the problem is solved.
Thanks

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #383 of 424
Thanks for the response Andy.
Even when the sample rate is the same between consecutive songs I hear the relay click and the sound drops out for just moment. This happens with IDAP-6 through i2S and optical and usb, and with Cayin i5 DAP. It holds the TV signal through COAXIAL no problem and Airplay with Spotify doesn’t drop out.
I’m exchanging this unit for a new one so I’ll let you know here if the problem is solved.
Thanks

Just to make sure I didn't confused myself. This is iDAP-6 thread but you are talking about the relay click sound in iDAC-6MK2 and want to replace the IDAC-6MK2 with a new unit, hoping that the click sound will resolved? For your information, there is a iDAC-6 thread and most of the iDAC-6MK2 discussion were raised in that thread.

The problem won't solve with a new unit. Whenever iDAC-6MK2 detected a pause in the bitstream, it will assume the next audio signal might be a different sampling frequency, so the mute relay will kick in and wait for the "pop", and will unmute just before the music start. The TV signal is appeared as one continuous bitstream that's why the mute relay does not comes in. Change to another unit of iDAC-6MK2 will not solve this problem, it will still detect the pause and you'll still hear the click relay.

One thing you can try is to enable gapless playback in your iDAP-6, this feature is in the Music Setting menu. This might reduce the frequency of the "pause" detection between tracks, but this won't solve the problem completely, Some album has inserted a longer pause between tracks, or if you have manually inserted a pause between tracks when you rip a CD, these can't be removed by Gapless playback. If you have copied music files from different album into one folder, most likely the gapless function will not remove the pause as well because the metadata are completely different among tracks.

1602213690400.png

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #384 of 424
Just to make sure I didn't confused myself. This is iDAP-6 thread but you are talking about the relay click sound in iDAC-6MK2 and want to replace the IDAC-6MK2 with a new unit, hoping that the click sound will resolved? For your information, there is a iDAC-6 thread and most of the iDAC-6MK2 discussion were raised in that thread.

The problem won't solve with a new unit. Whenever iDAC-6MK2 detected a pause in the bitstream, it will assume the next audio signal might be a different sampling frequency, so the mute relay will kick in and wait for the "pop", and will unmute just before the music start. The TV signal is appeared as one continuous bitstream that's why the mute relay does not comes in. Change to another unit of iDAC-6MK2 will not solve this problem, it will still detect the pause and you'll still hear the click relay.

One thing you can try is to enable gapless playback in your iDAP-6, this feature is in the Music Setting menu. This might reduce the frequency of the "pause" detection between tracks, but this won't solve the problem completely, Some album has inserted a longer pause between tracks, or if you have manually inserted a pause between tracks when you rip a CD, these can't be removed by Gapless playback. If you have copied music files from different album into one folder, most likely the gapless function will not remove the pause as well because the metadata are completely different among tracks.

1602213690400.png
Thanks Andy.

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #385 of 424
I actually own a Focal Elear headphone and a Cayin iha-6 amplifier. Source of music is Qobuz and music is transferred from an IPad (firmware 12.2) over an RCA cable to the amplifier.

To get a better sound input on the amplifier I’m interested in buying a Cayin idap-6 and Idac-6 mk2.

As there is no Qobuz client installed on the idap-6 how can I listen to Qobuz music on the Idap-6 ?

I downloaded through AppStore the app Mconnect which can send Tidal and Qobuz music to an Upnp device. Could this be working ?

Sorry for these trivial questions I am a beginner in this domain.

Robert

Nov 2, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #386 of 424
I actually own a Focal Elear headphone and a Cayin iha-6 amplifier. Source of music is Qobuz and music is transferred from an IPad (firmware 12.2) over an RCA cable to the amplifier.

To get a better sound input on the amplifier I’m interested in buying a Cayin idap-6 and Idac-6 mk2.

As there is no Qobuz client installed on the idap-6 how can I listen to Qobuz music on the Idap-6 ?

I downloaded through AppStore the app Mconnect which can send Tidal and Qobuz music to an Upnp device. Could this be working ?

Sorry for these trivial questions I am a beginner in this domain.

Robert
No problem at all; you don't sound like a beginner! You are absolutely right; there are several apps that allow for UPnP and they work with the iDAP-6 and that's how you would get Qobuz as a source. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the Cayin stack; I recently got the iDAC 6 MK2 and I'm loving the stack.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #387 of 424
I understand: in this case the music is streamed directly from the router to the Idap-6 without quality loss. If I’m using the app Qobuz on the IPad the music is streamed over Bluetooth-Airplay with quality restriction (max 16 bit, 44.1 kHZ) is that correct ?

Nov 6, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #388 of 424
I understand: in this case the music is streamed directly from the router to the Idap-6 without quality loss. If I’m using the app Qobuz on the IPad the music is streamed over Bluetooth-Airplay with quality restriction (max 16 bit, 44.1 kHZ) is that correct ?
I believe you are correct. I know UPnP is the best wireless way to go if you can't go wired.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #389 of 424
I believe you are correct. I know UPnP is the best wireless way to go if you can't go wired.

I just got my Idac6 mk2 and Idap6 and what can I say: I am completely overwhelmed: it’s just unbelievable how good this stack sounds! The first song I heard was from Malia: Celestial Echo. I got the goosebumps when I heard the female voice: an unparalled clearness with a wide soundstage, it’s like swimming in music. When before I was listening to 2D, now it’s 3D. I never thought that a stereo track could be able to produce such a performance.

Then I switched to classical music, Anna Netrebko: Ebben? Ne andro lontano from the album Verismo: once more I was completely immersed in this music. The voice is sweet, delicate, emotional almost like hearing a real Opera.

In the end I listened to some trance, Trapeze from Armin van Buuren: once more this precision, this power of the percussions, really impressive.

A big thank you to the team of Cayin for producing such wonderful technique who is by the way very nice to look at.

I have just one problem: I didn’t manage to get the I2S connection to work with an Oehlbach XXL Carb Connect Mk II Home Cinéma HDMI with Ethernet cable

Perhaps somebody can recommend me a different HDMI cable ?

Robert

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #390 of 424
I just got my Idac6 mk2 and Idap6 and what can I say: I am completely overwhelmed: it’s just unbelievable how good this stack sounds! The first song I heard was from Malia: Celestial Echo. I got the goosebumps when I heard the female voice: an unparalled clearness with a wide soundstage, it’s like swimming in music. When before I was listening to 2D, now it’s 3D. I never thought that a stereo track could be able to produce such a performance.

Then I switched to classical music, Anna Netrebko: Ebben? Ne andro lontano from the album Verismo: once more I was completely immersed in this music. The voice is sweet, delicate, emotional almost like hearing a real Opera.

In the end I listened to some trance, Trapeze from Armin van Buuren: once more this precision, this power of the percussions, really impressive.

A big thank you to the team of Cayin for producing such wonderful technique who is by the way very nice to look at.

I have just one problem: I didn’t manage to get the I2S connection to work with an Oehlbach XXL Carb Connect Mk II Home Cinéma HDMI with Ethernet cable

Perhaps somebody can recommend me a different HDMI cable ?

Robert

HDMI with Ethernet cable? Why is your HDMI cable related to Ethernet?

How long is your HDMI cable? Theoretically any high quality 18Gbps HDMI cable should service the purpose/ When you use HDMI cable for I2S connection, because you need to sync the clock signal in high speed, you must use a short HDMI cable, the shorter the better. I have find 0.5m HDMI for that purpose, but I am not sure if that is available in your country. I m is fine and I definitely don't recommend using 1.5m or longer HDMI cable for I2S connection.

Since Cayin adopts the I2S implementation from PS Audio, maybe its a good idea to check out the specification of the HDMI cable from PS Audio, I believe they are 1m long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back