Cayin iDAP-6 - versatile new desktop transport
Sep 2, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #361 of 424
@Andykong are you still monitoring this forum?

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #362 of 424
Hi friends, I'm using cayin idap6 for about an year. I'm upgrading my existing dac from bifrost multibit to denafrips Pontus. Will I be able to use i2s HDMI output from cayin idap6 to Pontus? Will there be any issue?

I assume you refer to Denafrips Pontus? I have tried iDAP-6 with Ares and Terminator in previous Audio show and it works very well, so I assume the Pontus will work too.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 2, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #363 of 424
I am in the market for a network player such as the Cayin IDAP-6. For those of you that own one, are you still seeing support and updates for the product? Are you reasonably happy? I am probably only going to use it for storing music on a SD card or usb hard drive, I rarely stream from any music services.

We don't have any plan to update the iDAP-6 firmware.

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #364 of 424
Sep 2, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #365 of 424

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #366 of 424
I am in the market for a network player such as the Cayin IDAP-6. For those of you that own one, are you still seeing support and updates for the product? Are you reasonably happy? I am probably only going to use it for storing music on a SD card or usb hard drive, I rarely stream from any music services.
HI, I own one. I'm assuming from the history on here that there will be no more support (firmware or fixes) for the IDAP-6. I'm very happy with mine - I'm still waiting a fix for my HDMI issue hopefully will be resolved shortly. I have mine connected to 2x 256gb fast USB thumb drives (samsung) and one 128gb SD card. I also use a 1tb SSD (samsung t5) connected to the front usb port sometimes. Lag browsing and playing is zero, plays 100% reliably and has exceptional sound. Hiby remote has proven to be reliable and quick in my case. Playing from Bluetooth is a bit of a pain as you have to disable the link in the menu options but then works fine.

I've abandoned any aim to use streaming from the local network, for some reason the Cayin will just not talk to my DLNA music, other devices don't have an issue, but since its now all on the USB and SD card its a non issue for me. If you view it as a standalone player and ignore the network side its perfect really.

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #367 of 424
HI, I own one. I'm assuming from the history on here that there will be no more support (firmware or fixes) for the IDAP-6. I'm very happy with mine - I'm still waiting a fix for my HDMI issue hopefully will be resolved shortly. I have mine connected to 2x 256gb fast USB thumb drives (samsung) and one 128gb SD card. I also use a 1tb SSD (samsung t5) connected to the front usb port sometimes. Lag browsing and playing is zero, plays 100% reliably and has exceptional sound. Hiby remote has proven to be reliable and quick in my case. Playing from Bluetooth is a bit of a pain as you have to disable the link in the menu options but then works fine.

I've abandoned any aim to use streaming from the local network, for some reason the Cayin will just not talk to my DLNA music, other devices don't have an issue, but since its now all on the USB and SD card its a non issue for me. If you view it as a standalone player and ignore the network side its perfect really.

Thanks. Yea, just SD card or attached storage for me. I now have the xDuoo X10T II, which uses Hiby and I like it. I just want to explore something that has Femto clocks to see how that would improve the SQ.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #368 of 424
I love the sound and the unit itself, other than the spotty Bluetooth/Airplay connection. Sometimes it loses the connection but it’s easy to reset. I ordered a Gustard A 18 DAC that has i2S connection to pair with iDAP 6. I’ll update when it arrives.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #369 of 424
I love the sound and the unit itself, other than the spotty Bluetooth/Airplay connection. Sometimes it loses the connection but it’s easy to reset. I ordered a Gustard A 18 DAC that has i2S connection to pair with iDAP 6. I’ll update when it arrives.

Well for what it's worth my Apple Airpods and Chord Poly also will loose airplay connections. Airpods sometimes one channel will go out, and the poly will just disconnect from the ipad if I have the music of video on pause for too long, then when I resume, the sound will come from the ipad rather than the airplay connection. I have to choose the poly again, simple enough, but frustrating.

Sep 9, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #370 of 424
I received the Gustard A 18 DAC to pair with the Cayin iDAP-6 by the I2S connection, but unfortunately all I get is static out of the left channel. I’ve read about this problem with other DAC’s but I thought the 2.0 software update fixed compatibility/pin issues. I hooked up
USB and it sounds amazing though. If anybody has any suggestions to fix I2S issue I appreciate it.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #371 of 424
I received the Gustard A 18 DAC to pair with the Cayin iDAP-6 by the I2S connection, but unfortunately all I get is static out of the left channel. I’ve read about this problem with other DAC’s but I thought the 2.0 software update fixed compatibility/pin issues. I hooked up
USB and it sounds amazing though. If anybody has any suggestions to fix I2S issue I appreciate it.

Can you confirm whether the I2S of your Gustard A18 is PS-Audio compatible? There isn't any official standard on I2S pin definition, everyone can define their own I2S implementation over HDMI or RG45 connectors. Cayin follows the PS Audio pin-out with our iDAP-6 and iDAC-6MK2, and it only compatible with I2S that follows the PS Audio pin-out.

I have googled Gustard A18 but I can't find any reference to the I2S implementation. I have widen my choice to I2S of Gustard DAC in general, and notice some of their products allow users to customise the pin definition of the I2S, so it might or might not be compatible with PS Audio pin-out by default.

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #372 of 424
Can you confirm whether the I2S of your Gustard A18 is PS-Audio compatible? There isn't any official standard on I2S pin definition, everyone can define their own I2S implementation over HDMI or RG45 connectors. Cayin follows the PS Audio pin-out with our iDAP-6 and iDAC-6MK2, and it only compatible with I2S that follows the PS Audio pin-out.

I have googled Gustard A18 but I can't find any reference to the I2S implementation. I have widen my choice to I2S of Gustard DAC in general, and notice some of their products allow users to customise the pin definition of the I2S, so it might or might not be compatible with PS Audio pin-out by default.
Thanks for your response Andy. It definitely looks like the Gustard A 18 is not compatible with the iDAP 6. I’m planning on returning the Gustard, And I’ve already ordered a Cayin iDAC-6 MK II that will be delivered this Friday. I KNOW that will be compatible!!😀

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #374 of 424
I received the Cayin idac-6 MK2 last Friday and paired it with the iDAP 6 through i2S. Sounds fantastic!! Only problem is every time the iDAP changes tracks, a relay clicks in the idac and the sound drops out for a moment at the beginning of each track. Very annoying, and I can’t imagine it’s supposed to do this. I tried various settings on both devices including switching to usb but no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? The Gustard A 18 DAC does not do this, nor did my previous DAC the PS Audio Digital Link 3. Thanks.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #375 of 424
I received the Cayin idac-6 MK2 last Friday and paired it with the iDAP 6 through i2S. Sounds fantastic!! Only problem is every time the iDAP changes tracks, a relay clicks in the idac and the sound drops out for a moment at the beginning of each track. Very annoying, and I can’t imagine it’s supposed to do this. I tried various settings on both devices including switching to usb but no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? The Gustard A 18 DAC does not do this, nor did my previous DAC the PS Audio Digital Link 3. Thanks.
i know this is not a proper reply to you (maybe someone with more knowledge will do that) but do you try same dac connecting with Spidf - i ask this because i want to know how big difference is betwen Spidf and i2s....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back