Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Mar 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,046 of 3,742
Andy Kong, or anyone else who has seen this problem, I think I narrowed it down to hi-res files being the issue. When the player goes from MP3 files to hi-res(FLAC) the volume lowers about 15 volume units. When I go to the eq fine tune screen, the volume jumps to normal. This happens every time I play a hi-res file. I bought a new unit that is arriving today, so I'll report back when I see if the new unit does the same thing. I'll also be doing some A-B listening as this unit has over 200 hours on it, so burn in can be tested.
By the lack of response to this problem, it seems I'm the only one who is having this issue, which, in the end, is a good sign. Thanks for all of your previous and future responses.

I have never come across this problem before, this is the first instance of similar problem from what I can recall. If the level of MP3 file is not created with -6dB setting, then this can be a unique problem that only happens in your Cayin i5. If your dealer is accessible, I suggest you bring the i5 and test it at your dealer's shop and compare against his demo unit, the case can be straight forward if his demo unit didn't display similar volume jumping problem with your music file, you can request for warranty service right away and asked the dealer to send the i5 to us for repair.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 27, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,047 of 3,742
it's good of you to allow your users to play around with their firmware. I did revert back to stock firmware with no issues.

If the i5 firmware can be reversed, then I won't worry about the warranty coverage and please feel free to try it out.

Of course I'll encourage user to play around when they have the resource to do that. As I said earlier on, HeadFi is a user-forum, and we should respect and honor the interest of the users over anything else, so be careful in due course and have fun. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 27, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #3,048 of 3,742
I have never come across this problem before, this is the first instance of similar problem from what I can recall. If the level of MP3 file is not created with -6dB setting, then this can be a unique problem that only happens in your Cayin i5. If your dealer is accessible, I suggest you bring the i5 and test it at your dealer's shop and compare against his demo unit, the case can be straight forward if his demo unit didn't display similar volume jumping problem with your music file, you can request for warranty service right away and asked the dealer to send the i5 to us for repair.

Thanks a lot for the quick response, Andy. The new player I ordered (also from Music Teck) will arrive tonight. I'll test it out, over the next few days, and let you know if it happens on that one. If/when I return the first player to them, I will be sure to let them know about this issue.
At this point, with the amazing sound and build of the i5, I'll do pretty much whatever it takes to work through this.
Thanks again.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #3,052 of 3,742
I'll have to try that. IT03 are on a higher level vs LZ-A4. Should be a good combination!

I wasn't very impressed with a4. Lots of hype in that thread, but I agree the it03 are really much better for a little but more money. Good know know they sound good out of the i5.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3,055 of 3,742
  is anyone using the i5 with a Mojo via Coax? can you share the Coax pin configuration? or where you got the Coax cable?

@Andykong

can you supply the Coax pinouts?

You can get from this seller on taobao. Select the one for Mojo.
https://world.taobao.com/item/39551072458.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.rVL0ha&_u=122s0o6s2a91

Are you in Singapore? I am selling off the cable as I no longer have the i5. PM me if you are interested.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #3,056 of 3,742
  You can get from this seller on taobao. Select the one for Mojo.
https://world.taobao.com/item/39551072458.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700846.0.0.rVL0ha&_u=122s0o6s2a91

Are you in Singapore? I am selling off the cable as I no longer have the i5. PM me if you are interested.

thanks for the reply. I need a shorter one for portable use.

on the other hand - I went to the N6 thread and I get to read a lot more:

Coax is the best/only way to connect N6 to Mojo.

All you can change is the L17 cable for a legitimate coax cable. But, don't expect it to sound much different, if at all..

All you would need is a 3.5mm to 3.5mm coaxial cable if you wanted to use a 75 Ohm shielded cable. The coaxial cable was developed for longer runs and its geometry, impedance, and shielding are the result of this. With that said you can also just use a regular 3.5mm stereo interconnect to the N6 to the Mojo. It works, it's been tested by a few users and the 'digital' signal is nothing more than Voltage travelling down a copper wire.

Like I said, it should work fine to use a regular stereo interconnect. I've done it with the FiiO X5 (first gen) coaxial to Mojo others have done it with the iBasso DAPs, and it's also been confirmed to work waaaaay back in the Mojo thread with the N6. The signal is on the Tip, the ground is on the Ring and the Sleeve is ignored in a stereo TRS plug in this case.

• Theoretically you only need to use 3.5 TS connector (aka mono type connectors) and Coaxial connection only required two contact points (Data at Tips, Ground at Sleeve), but since TS connector is not as popular, a lot of cable maker will stick with the more widely used 3.5mm TRS connector, they simply connect data to Tips, Ground to sleeve, and leave the Ring not connected.
  • Use L connectors if possible, when you tie up N6 to Mojo, they are fairly bulky and you are unlikely to hold them on hands all the time, when you were to put them into a backpack etc, a regular (straight) connector will introduce pressure on the cable ends and bend the cable exceedingly, but a L-shape connector will take up the pressure and leave the cable undamaged.

So i guess a normal line-out interconnect will do or a DIYed TS plug

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #3,057 of 3,742

thanks for the reply. I need a shorter one for portable use.

on the other hand - I went to the N6 thread and I get to read a lot more:

So i guess a normal line-out interconnect will do or a DIYed TS plug

It is a short one
This is the same one that I have that is from the link I gave you.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #3,060 of 3,742
I want one of those, but I don't want to order from Taobao, lol.

Maybe @Andykong can also confirm the USB C to Coax pinout
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back