Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Apr 1, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3,076 of 3,742
N6 has a completely different approach in handling S/PDIF bitstream because it has a dedicated 3.5mm connector for Coaxial S/PDIF output. i5 has two 3.5mm output dedicated to phone out and line out, it does not has a 3.5mm Coaxial output.

ah i see, thanks for confirming this! Now i need to look for a USB C Male part

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,077 of 3,742
I have had a tidal subscription for a while now. Stuff like this is making me consider cancelling the subscription. You would think people that use a device like the i5 are whole tidal would want to make happy, who else really cares about hifi? I am actually moving away from streaming for a variety of reasons. The chief reason is just what Andy said about why Cayin are moving away from streaming and android, just going to keep my chain simpler with a standard dap.

Good grief the opus 1 is an amazing sounding dap. People, try it out. Sounds really good.

For a dap with equal sq to the opus but with streaming ability (tidal works fine) consider the Acoustic Research M20. Excellent dap.

May I suggest one more alternative: Onkyo DP-X1a

The DP-X1a use Snapdragon 800 (SD800) with Android 5.1, the SD800 CPU is significantly faster then the Leadcore used in i5 and it can handle the single core DAC algorithm of Tidal pretty well.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 1, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,078 of 3,742
Thanks Andy, Relic was also able to point out the same link for me too.

Another thing to further confirm, does the i5 also have Coax out? I'm also planning to use Coax out to Mojo In

I believe that is the only source for Type-C to Coaxial pin out. This is an innovative implementation from Cayin and we are the only one doing this at the moment.

I don't get this. The pin out I stated above is S/PDIF coaxial, so i5 has coax output and you can get it out from the Type-C connector.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 3, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #3,080 of 3,742
Nobody else has an i5 with a randomly inoperative volume control?

Apparently not. The only nuissance I have with the volume control is when I connect the i5 to any speaker via bluetooth. It suddenly goes up to maximum volume, yet the volume is controlled by the speaker, so it does not affect the output volume.

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #3,081 of 3,742
Apparently not. The only nuissance I have with the volume control is when I connect the i5 to any speaker via bluetooth. It suddenly goes up to maximum volume, yet the volume is controlled by the speaker, so it does not affect the output volume.

Thanks.

What you describe there with the volume behaviour with bluetooth sounds like how I would expect it to be, unless it occurs at random, if I understand you correctly. I would want full output from the source when the volume is controlled by the speaker.

Anyway, I sent the i5 back due to the random inoperation of the volume control as it seems like a fault to me. I am likely to order another as the i5 is easily the best DAP I've heard to date.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,082 of 3,742
Thanks.

What you describe there with the volume behaviour with bluetooth sounds like how I would expect it to be, unless it occurs at random, if I understand you correctly. I would want full output from the source when the volume is controlled by the speaker.

Anyway, I sent the i5 back due to the random inoperation of the volume control as it seems like a fault to me. I am likely to order another as the i5 is easily the best DAP I've heard to date.

It's not random, and it would be all good and expectable were it not for the fact that it doesn't come back to "normal" volume after disconnecting from the bluetooth device, which can accidentally lead to a huge volume outburst when connecting your headphones after a bluetooth playback... I'm used to it by now, but it can be an annoying issue. Not a deal breaker though, I'm still considering i5 the best DAP under 750 in the market right now.

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,083 of 3,742
It's not random, and it would be all good and expectable were it not for the fact that it doesn't come back to "normal" volume after disconnecting from the bluetooth device, which can accidentally lead to a huge volume outburst when connecting your headphones after a bluetooth playback... I'm used to it by now, but it can be an annoying issue. Not a deal breaker though, I'm still considering i5 the best DAP under 750 in the market right now.

Yes, I see now why that wouldn't be great. Thanks for the info.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #3,084 of 3,742
Could someone, or more than one if possible, do a test on their i5?
This may be normal, but it seems strange to me.
On my machine, while a file is playing, regardless of what type, if I set the eq for "custom", set the sliders flat at 0, the volume is 7-10 decibels higher than if I go to "rock", even though I set the sliders on the rock eq to flat also. If I toggle between rock set to flat, and custom set to flat, that same jump happens. Is this normal? What is the reason for the volume difference?
Thanks.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #3,085 of 3,742
Could someone, or more than one if possible, do a test on their i5?
This may be normal, but it seems strange to me.
On my machine, while a file is playing, regardless of what type, if I set the eq for "custom", set the sliders flat at 0, the volume is 7-10 decibels higher than if I go to "rock", even though I set the sliders on the rock eq to flat also. If I toggle between rock set to flat, and custom set to flat, that same jump happens. Is this normal? What is the reason for the volume difference?
Thanks.

Don't worry, it is how Cayin implemented USER EQ. I don't know exactly why, but all Cowon players and I own almost a dozen behave exactly like that.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,087 of 3,742
  still no news about next FW. Did they abandon the i5 aready after release of N3?

Please one more thing: If no earphones connected don't let the player start in play mode after booting. It should be in pause mode when starting up.

I guess the after Chinese New Year promise could stretch for months.  If it's taking that long, maybe it's packed with fixes.. or not.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #3,088 of 3,742
Hey Hi, received my i5 yesterday. the player keeps crashing (not quite often, but has done is once every 2hrs or so). The firmware is on 2.2, am I doing something wrong?

It happens when I play FLAC,MP3 audio or use spotify, soundcloud, pandora etc.

BTW I am love with sound stage and signature, the X5iii is going back to Amazon for a refund. Cheers.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,089 of 3,742
Hey Hi, received my i5 yesterday. the player keeps crashing (not quite often, but has done is once every 2hrs or so). The firmware is on 2.2, am I doing something wrong?

It happens when I play FLAC,MP3 audio or use spotify, soundcloud, pandora etc.

BTW I am love with sound stage and signature, the X5iii is going back to Amazon for a refund. Cheers.

In what way does it crash? What does it do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back