Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Mar 25, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #3,031 of 3,742
My only concern is whether there is any procedure to recover the i5 to factory firmware when needed. For the record, Cayin and our distributor/dealer reserve the right to not accepting any warranty request on Cayin i5 when third party firmware is installed. In fact we have make it clear that if you have rooted your i5, you need to undo the rooting before you submit the i5 for warranty, and third party firmware will fall into same category of service, dealers at front-end are not equipped with equipment or procedure to overwrite the third party firmware with the factory firmware, and they can't be sure whether the problem is related to a firmware issue.

Other then the warranty/repair service issue, I am excited to see all these discussion on third party firmware customized for i5, this will certainly enhance the interest of Cayin i5. Please feel free to share your experience and impression of other third party firmware here. This is a "user" forum, and priority should be give to user's perspective in all account.

it's good of you to allow your users to play around with their firmware. I did revert back to stock firmware with no issues.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,032 of 3,742
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3,035 of 3,742
Since someone asked me to fix Play Store so I did.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8eh2a8ty8xsxc89/i5-Update-2.2-WindowsX-Public.zip

Now it won't use ART Runtime so Play Store should work fine now. I'll fix Play Store with ART runtime later when I have device to test with.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,036 of 3,742

Now it won't use ART Runtime so Play Store should work fine now. I'll fix Play Store with ART runtime later when I have device to test with.

Regards,
Keetakawee

That's was fast, man!  I'll be testing it right away.  Downloading now.  Thanks!

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #3,039 of 3,742

Regards,
Keetakawee

Hi , please put your firmware the root access , surely you have this version . I want to try to run Poweramp ver3 703 , directly to the DAC .

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #3,040 of 3,742
  Hi , please put your firmware the root access , surely you have this version . I want to try to run Poweramp ver3 703 , directly to the DAC .

I did have that version but that's for advanced ROM now for customers in Thailand which isn't free. I've sent you PM in case you're interested.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3,041 of 3,742
I've had the i5 just over 2 weeks now. Whenever I connect the i5 to my Windows 7 laptop I've been getting a popup indicating a failed device driver installation in relation to MTP. I haven't been bothered, mainly because I don't know what MTP is and because I've had no issues transferring files from my PC to the i5.

Today I updated the firmware in the i5 to 2.2, thinking that as a side benefit this irritating popup would go away and this MTP would start to work. Well, I see the firmware update has added an option to the "Connect mode" section for "MTP mode" but I'm still getting the failure and the popup.

When I connect the i5 to my laptop, the first popup says, "Installing device driver software" then after I select "Turn on USB storage" on the i5 screen I get another popup informing me the "Device driver software was not successfully installed". Drilling into this tells me "MTP USB Device X Failed".

What is going on and is it a problem that the MTP device driver won't install? 

Thanks again

Brian

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #3,042 of 3,742
I've had the i5 just over 2 weeks now. Whenever I connect the i5 to my Windows 7 laptop I've been getting a popup indicating a failed device driver installation in relation to MTP. I haven't been bothered, mainly because I don't know what MTP is and because I've had no issues transferring files from my PC to the i5.

Today I updated the firmware in the i5 to 2.2, thinking that as a side benefit this irritating popup would go away and this MTP would start to work. Well, I see the firmware update has added an option to the "Connect mode" section for "MTP mode" but I'm still getting the failure and the popup.

When I connect the i5 to my laptop, the first popup says, "Installing device driver software" then after I select "Turn on USB storage" on the i5 screen I get another popup informing me the "Device driver software was not successfully installed". Drilling into this tells me "MTP USB Device X Failed".

What is going on and is it a problem that the MTP device driver won't install? 

Thanks again

Brian

MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol and allows you to transfer files to and from your i5 without mounting the i5 storage drives as USB drives on your computer (causing the i5 to temporarily lose access to them in the process). On the other hand you seeing the "Turn on USB storage" screen would seem to indicate that you've still got USB storage rather than MTP mode selected. When you turn on USB storage, the i5 would cease presenting the MTP device to the computer, just as though you'd unplugged it. That explains the "Failed" popup.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 27, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #3,044 of 3,742
In the last day I've had a problem where the volume control stops working. Just does nothing at all. I'm listening to a song and turn the volume control and nothing happens. 4 times now in the last day. Anybody else see this behaviour?

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,045 of 3,742
The volume jump has happened again. It seems to be cutting the volume in between songs, as I can hear a slight click, then the next song is lower in volume, until I go to the eq fine tune page, then the volume jumps up 15% or so. What a giant bummer. I guess I'll try one more factory reset, then return it if that doesn't work. Any other ideas on your end, Andy?

Andy Kong, or anyone else who has seen this problem, I think I narrowed it down to hi-res files being the issue. When the player goes from MP3 files to hi-res(FLAC) the volume lowers about 15 volume units. When I go to the eq fine tune screen, the volume jumps to normal. This happens every time I play a hi-res file. I bought a new unit that is arriving today, so I'll report back when I see if the new unit does the same thing. I'll also be doing some A-B listening as this unit has over 200 hours on it, so burn in can be tested.
By the lack of response to this problem, it seems I'm the only one who is having this issue, which, in the end, is a good sign. Thanks for all of your previous and future responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back