Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jan 4, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #2,476 of 3,742
I have found my Cayin it. Completely discharge with or without wifi ON. After a day but some other times I find it at 80%. Still trying to determine if some app is waking the unit up or something else

There is a sleep or shutoff under music settings if I am not mistaking.

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #2,477 of 3,742
So some kind of proper hibernating might be something nice for a future FW.

I hope that not only USB audio out is on the list for next update but also finally gapless, proper alphabetical sorting and tag reading,
That are pretty basic things and it would be a bit disappointing if these things after the fourth FW update will still not be fixed.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,478 of 3,742
As usual, my i5 drained itself while well kept in a drawer.  No way to accidentally press the play button.  This is getting frustrating for me.  Not sure if it's broken or what.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,480 of 3,742

My initial impression of the sound on the i5 was that it is very warm. Like cozy blanket warm, especially in the bass. Every AK4490 implementation I've heard before has had a more incisive brighter sound, so the warm sound coming out of the i5 caught me a bit by surprise. The warmth smooths over some bass detail and gives the sound a little bit slower quality. So far it isn't my preferred signature, but I still need more time to let the system and my ears burn-in. I think that this DAP will need to be paired with bright headphones to have a more balanced sound, luckily I've got the Noble Encore on hand, and it qualifies in that regard.

Obviously, my i5 is brand new and the initial impressions were a bit warm. I am adjusting to the sound and beginning to hear some real quality here. As stated previously, I have always liked the Ak dap's. The thing I wrestle with is "perceived value". I really don't like when folks say for the money, however this dap is really starting to grow on me, at a price of at least 1/2 of the cost of what I am accustomed to. I am beginning to also find my way around some of the firmware annoyances. I am still experimenting with various iem's and headphones, even the warm 64 Audio U12 is beginning to pair well.

I normally don't comment on the listening experience of customers as I need to keep my role impartial, but I would like to comment on the issue of detail and warm sounding briefly, please bear with me for a moment.

To human ears, warm (or something the perception of thick sounding) didn't go along with detail (sense of high resolution) very well, and its indeed easier to develop a HiFi device to excel in resolution when we use a more neutral or neutral cold type of sound signature. This is actually very good for speaker based sound system, but"might" result in fatigue or unpleasant listening experience after prolonged listening session with headphone. In fact if someone compared i5 to our flagship N6 DAP, you'll notice the i5 is indeed warmer then the N6. This is because N6, being a reference DAP, is designed around a dual flagship DAC chipset (PCM1792) and satisfactory the toughest requirements of audiophile. On the other hand, i5 is developed for music lovers, one of the main objectives of i5 is "Music anytime, anywhere", so we want to make sure i5 is suitable for long listening hours, hence a slightly different direction in sound tuning.

On the other hand, we have spend a lot of effort to achieve warm sounding and high resolution at the same time. I won't say i5 is the most high resolution DAP with AK4490, but it certainly is above average on this aspect, but the i5 sound signature indeed can be misleading, so it might take a while before you can notice the details preserved behind the warm and smooth sound of i5.

Last but not least, it is important to differentiate detail and sharpness. Its like apply Unshartp Mask (USM) in photoshop will increase the sharpness of a photo, but it won't enhance its detail, its a perception game, and is changing the world's appreciation of true detail. Sometime when the "details" are too obvious, that is a warning side of USM effect already. To me, genuine high resolution audio should offer details that are natural and seamingless, the low level details are playing an important part here

Spend more hour with i5 and you'll re-discover your music collection, that I promised personally.
beerchug.gif

This is a really helpful and detailed reply. Over time the sound has been tightening up. The analogue circuit, my ears, or both needed some time to settle in. My best listening experience has been with the UERR. The soundstage goes huge with them. Definitely something magical happening. I was listening to a the Pixies - Velouria in DSD and it was just mind-blowingly BIG and bold. Superb. I'll be sharing with a friend @dill3000 who does some DIY amp building tomorrow. Too bad I can't share with the UERR. I'll just have to share the Noble K10E instead. Audiogear is such a wonderful thing to share. Go to meets and mini-meets, they are lovely!

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,481 of 3,742
Andykong said:
Spend more hour with i5 and you'll re-discover your music collection, that I promised personally.
beerchug.gif

I agree with this 100%. I5 is musical and fun with lots of details and quite close to neutral with slight warmth.

Quote:
Is there a reason why folks don't want to turn off their i5 when it isn't being used? Or is the battery draining even while powered off?

I didn't notice any battery draining with the unit powered off. It turns on very quickly too.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,482 of 3,742

Can't agree more from an i5/UERM user.

If you try to analysis the sound of i5 from audiophile perspective, i5 is value for money but you'll find room to improve easily. If you look at it from music appreciation perspective, I personally consider it's a very completed product.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 7, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,483 of 3,742
I've noticed a slight drain with the device turned off.  I wonder if there IS an issue with the device hibernating instead of being totally shut off.  Also, as far as powering up the device, no problems there.  I HAVE noticed that the hard forward/reverse buttons lag for about 20 seconds after powering up is complete and music resumes. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #2,486 of 3,742
  got a matt screen protector today cut to fit the i5. Bye bye fingerprints. Looks right away more classy.
Now waiting for the arrival of my MicroSD to SD-adapter to connect a 512GB SDCard to overcome the design flaw of just one cardslot.

A second card slot would be nice. I use a 256GB micro and have enough space.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #2,487 of 3,742
Hello Everyone !
I am a part of the Group 8 Oceania Tour and was the last person to review the unit in Australia.
I had the i5 in my possession in the past 3 weeks but had only a few days to actually play with it due to the busy holiday season.

I'm going to write a more thorough report of my experience later on, but for right now I can only write down a few things on the things that i did and did not like.
It's notable that I do not know if the unit is the production or a pre-production model. 

I liked :
The sound quality - Overall it just sounded very clean and clear. Any music I play souned more immersive and seemed to have a larger soundstage.
The response is definitely towards the warmer side, it definitely felt like it had a slight bass boost even at the default, flat setting.
The added bass presence made some earphones that seemed lacking more lushious and immersive. For example, my CTM - CT-200 and Beyerdynamic T90 had the most benefit from this.
The amplifier suited even the most sensitive IEMs. My CT-200 that normally hisses upon plugging onto other devices such as my phone, laptop, FiiO X3 and Centrance DacPort Slim was dead silent on the i5.
To contrast, it had no issue driving the harder to drive headphones such as my phonak PFE012 and T50RP MKiii.
The build quality was simply exceptional, feels very solidly built, the volume control feels especially nice
Functionality and connectivity was great, wifi and bluetooth inclusion was a nice feature. I tried connecting the device to my car via bluetooth and it paired and worked perfectly fine. I used wifi to download Pandora and Spotify on the device and it also worked (connected) fine.

Things I did not like:
The added bass made it unsuitable for already bassy earphones. My Flare Audio R2S' bass felt overwhelming and uncomfortable to listen to.
Tiny bugs found here and there (will write about this more later after I explore the thread if it has been previously discussed)
The weight and thickness of the device, despite giving it a premium feel can be a bit cumbersome to carry
Wi-fi performance was underwhelming in terms of range (note: comparison was made against my 3 year old xperia Z2) 
Using the DAC function for the device was not suitable for gaming or watching videos (at the time of my possession) as the output had a slight delay. Videos seemed unnatural and too slow for gaming.(This issue wasn't found in my other DAC devices) 
Start-up/ Reset was slow- ranged anywhere from around 45 seconds to well above 1 minute.
Use of 3rd party apps such as pandora/spotify was not 100% smooth, switching between programs and closing apps could be polished...

More details will be added in a better format later on !
Apologies for any mistakes and for mentioning things that have been previously mentioned

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,489 of 3,742
Finally my cayin has reached Penonaudio, they said they will ship my replacement soon!

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #2,490 of 3,742
hmmm another android base dap fiio x5 3rd gen with dual dac is out 450,00 EUR pre-order,
going  
to see how well fiio perform against cayin at these price :basshead:  

Almost identical pricing to the Cayin for an X5? Wouldn't someone rather have the Cayin or an X7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back