Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Sep 22, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,381 of 3,742

What do you think is not perfect about it?

I received one tonight as well.  Definitely needs a burn in before I can judge the final sound performance, but so far I think this is among the best touch screen Android interfaces I have seen.  The GUI just makes perfect sense to me, and I still can't get used to X7 interface (ironically, also designed by Hiby)...  The design of the DAP itself is beautiful and the details of the GUI design are very impressive - I'm a sucker for GUI :)

And the most important part, ZERO hiss with Zeus-R and Andromeda and ES60.  ZERO!!!

Agree on the GUI part. But ZERO hiss on the Zeus??? Are you serious?? My Samba has noticeable hiss with the i5 :frowning2:

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,382 of 3,742
Agree, find the zero hiss statement also very surprising. I solved the problem by switching to less sensitive IEMs but there is definitely a hiss.
Or I am suffering from buying one of the first units internationally after release and they have changed something already internally.
However, I find FW 1.81 hissing less than 1.5

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,383 of 3,742
What device is perfect, Alex? I'm not saying it's not damn good, but like another guy a few posts up I feel like WiFi is a bit on the slow side. During installation of Play Services at Play Music, the downloads stalled out a couple times before succeeding. My phone on the same WiFi network had no problems in the same spot. Not a deal breaker, as this is first and foremost a DAP. And in fact, just like you, I feel this is much more what I was looking for from an Android-based DAP than the X7. I remember saying in the X7 thread that if I were looking for an Android-based DAP, is suggest people wait for the Cayin i5 or the upcoming Shanling Android-based DAP because I had a lot of faith in what those two can do after using their DAPs extensively.

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,384 of 3,742
Keep the impressions coming. Highly appreciated the inputs.

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #1,385 of 3,742
Hello, I'm quite interested about comparison between Cayin I5 and Fiio X7. Not only regarding user interface but sonically too. I'm actually user of Fiio X7 but I'm watching this thread and I'm surprised about fast answers from Cayin representative Andykong. I think of Cayin I5 as a direct competitor for Fiio X7. Could someone confirm if Spotify is working smoothly on I5 ?

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #1,386 of 3,742
Two other minor niggles are...

The music gets a bit jumpy when switching between EQ presets. Like it skips a split-second. Would be nice to make this more seamless.

You can easily turn on EQ presets from the Now Playing screen with a nice popup, but I haven't found a way to disable the EQ from the popup. Maybe I'm just missing it? If so, let me know. If not, this would be a nice feature to add.

Again, neither are deal breakers. Just minor inconveniences.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #1,389 of 3,742
Two other minor niggles are...

The music gets a bit jumpy when switching between EQ presets. Like it skips a split-second. Would be nice to make this more seamless.

You can easily turn on EQ presets from the Now Playing screen with a nice popup, but I haven't found a way to disable the EQ from the popup. Maybe I'm just missing it? If so, let me know. If not, this would be a nice feature to add.

Again, neither are deal breakers. Just minor inconveniences.
both of my phones does that skipping when I change the eq.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #1,390 of 3,742
What device is perfect, Alex? I'm not saying it's not damn good, but like another guy a few posts up I feel like WiFi is a bit on the slow side. During installation of Play Services at Play Music, the downloads stalled out a couple times before succeeding. My phone on the same WiFi network had no problems in the same spot. Not a deal breaker, as this is first and foremost a DAP. And in fact, just like you, I feel this is much more what I was looking for from an Android-based DAP than the X7. I remember saying in the X7 thread that if I were looking for an Android-based DAP, is suggest people wait for the Cayin i5 or the upcoming Shanling Android-based DAP because I had a lot of faith in what those two can do after using their DAPs extensively.

I use TIDAL for most of my listening, so the fact that it stream or even download offline content effectively is a huge deal breaker to me. It seriously took me half an hour to download one song. I think I may return the i5 if there isn't a fix.

I've been trying to figure out a way to do a wired tether with my laptop for internet, but to no avail :frowning2:. Anyone have suggestions?

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,391 of 3,742

I use TIDAL for most of my listening, so the fact that it stream or even download offline content effectively is a huge deal breaker to me. It seriously took me half an hour to download one song. I think I may return the i5 if there isn't a fix.

I've been trying to figure out a way to do a wired tether with my laptop for internet, but to no avail :frowning2:. Anyone have suggestions?

This is quite surprising. I have been using Tidal and download speed is OK for me. Granted, not as fast as my cell phone but still decent. A typical track takes may be 1-2 mins to download. 

The issue I am facing with Tidal is a very consistent micro stuttering, even while playing offline tracks. Spotify works pretty good though, both for streaming and offline listening.

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #1,392 of 3,742

Just came back from walking my pooch in the park and I tested I5 with FiiO E12 Mont Blanc with ATH M50: Oh, my Lord Almighty what  gorgeous pairing and blissful sound they generate. I5 was already driving ATH M50 with ease, but as I mentioned earlier I couldn't really exploit the lowest frequencies since if you push first two bands anywhere above +2 it distorts. Now with FiiO added _ no worries M50 can get "down and dirty"

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,393 of 3,742
nmatheis
Congrats!

Same with mine, enabling EQ made the track skip maybe a second. Can't disable from the pop up menu as well.

Your case is maybe better? I dunno, mine slides off easily so I'm being extra careful here.

Also how is the battery life? Have you tried putting it on standby overnight?

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,394 of 3,742
Somehow I find battery draining faster in standby compared to FW 1.5

It might be beneficial if the shutdown after selected idling time would not need to be reactivated each time you start the i5 but once switched on the selection should be saved. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,395 of 3,742
My humble setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back