Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jul 4, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #481 of 3,742
We have finalized the international firmware version last weekend, because we are preparing our first shipment to Hong Kong, this will be the first i5 launch outside Mainland China.

Unfortunately because of the latest agreement, we cannot release the international version firmware on our website immediately because the Hong Kong distributor advised against that, they do worry that consumer will buy Mainland China stock and flash the International version firmware instead of buying the Hong Kong items.

Very likely we'll only upload the international version firmware when we release a new firmware, will keep you informed when I have more detail.

I found this out AFTER I loaded 1.2. I don't see the initial 1.0 firmware posted to be able to roll back. I'll also note that going from 1.0 to 1.2 required a hard wipe, I'm assuming because of the removal of the Play store and the associated framework where I'd already installed apps. I know I can get the Play Store going on my own, I'm just lazy. Must also note; I cannot get a valid firmware download directly from the Cayin.cn website. I was able to download 1.2 from Baidu but downloading 1.1 or 1.2 from the site fails every time at about 120MB. 

EDIT: Using Internet Explorer I was able to 'resume' the download and complete downloading 1.1 BUT, the firmware prevents rolling back. Why? 

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #483 of 3,742
Thank you for the answers Andy, just can't wait to receive mine :wink:

i feel tempted to get i5
blink.gif

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #484 of 3,742

i feel tempted to get i5
blink.gif

You really should. The more I listen the more I am impressed with it. It is the best all-round DAP I've used to date. The build quality, ease of use, sound quality, power, interface, size, battery life; while the i5 is not the best in most of those areas, it is very near the top and no other device I've ever used is as good on every level. 

The QP1R is more detailed, has a deeper/wider soundstage, and better bass with IEMs.  But using it is an exercise in frustration (the clickwheel, it's horrible) and it chokes on SACD ISOs which are a significant part of my collection. It also doesn't sound as good with compressed (AAC/MP3) material as the i5 for some reason and won't push my TH-X00s to truly satisfying volumes without distorting. Yes, in high gain at max volume there's distortion. 

The DX100 has far more power, but the battery life is woeful and using it is an exercise in patience and futility. I have waited 30 minutes for the thing to find files and start playing using a loaded 64GB card. I consider the i5 ahead of the DX100 in resolution, detail and texture.
The Plenue D has battery life that excels beyond anything else I've experienced, it has an easy interface and the size is great. But the sound quality is little better than a phone IMO.

The QLS-360 is hugely detailed, very powerful, takes full-size SD cards and is built like a tank. But it's as ugly as a tank, the interface is rudimentary at best, it doesn't do FLAC files over 44/16 (seriously!?), it regularly hangs, and is really only at its best with DSD. Even then it's bright, strident and analytical. 

I haven't heard anything better for the money with the level of functionality it has. And that's even before I take into account streaming services and other Android apps (which hopefully I get working soon). 

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #486 of 3,742
jeronim0:I've auditioned both X5ii and N5 and ended up going with the N5. Cayin is doing something special with the N5 IMHO. My bets are that i5 will be another special DAP. And if it's even more "musical" than N5, that's a plus in my book!
n5 definitely is more musical than any daps around. If u look for technicality, n6

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #491 of 3,742
overly warm?

Sounds great to me. I was trying with my phone for a bit, but it sounded so flat and lifeless that I broke out the N5 pretty damn fast!

It's all electronics. No vocals or acoustic instruments to be found. It's like if robots were jamming some free jazz, lol :p

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #492 of 3,742
Sounds great to me. I was trying with my phone for a bit, but it sounded so flat and lifeless that I broke out the N5 pretty damn fast!

It's all electronics. No vocals or acoustic instruments to be found. It's like if robots were jamming some free jazz, lol :p
that explains hehe

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #495 of 3,742
n5 definitely is more musical than any daps around. If u look for technicality, n6

Maybe in your opinion. :wink_face:

It's a good DAP, for sure, but there are definitely better for musicality. Of course I would never argue about your preference, but this sounds like an absolute statement. Perhaps in it's price segment this may be true, for you, but not in general, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back