Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jul 6, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #511 of 3,742
  Although musicality is a rather subjective point as most perceptions, it could be clarified on what kind of music and mastering we are talking about. Musicality on electronic music make no sense in the way there is no reference sound to compare it with. You might find the sound heavy on bass, tiring, or whatever is reaching your lugholes, but musicality ? really? When I say a DAP or any audio gear is musical, I am refering to how an instrument or a voice sound like in the hypothesis that it has not been too tweaked in the mastering process. I know how a violin or a piano sounds like, in different environments. As a result, I can tell if a gear is messing with the sound. If a piano is sounding like a clavinova (@Yamaha) I can safely assume it's not musical. Musicality should not interfere with personal preferences (in an ideal world). This is why it has to do with real live non amplified music. 

yes there is no right no wrong. very subjective!

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #512 of 3,742
You did not get my point ! Most people are wrong or don't know what musicality means. Mostly, it's about what pleases them which is far from defining the term. I repeat myself : It has to do with sound reproduction which means instrument reproduction and without any sens of how it sounds in reality it's not worth even mentionning.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #513 of 3,742
  You did not get my point ! Most people are wrong or don't know what musicality means. Mostly, it's about what pleases them which is far from defining the term. I repeat myself : It has to do with sound reproduction which means instrument reproduction and without any sens of how it sounds in reality it's not worth even mentionning.

do u cosider se215 to be musical?
eek.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #514 of 3,742

do u cosider se215 to be musical?
eek.gif

Too much bass, too warm. Too bad because the timbres are not far from being right on spot. The 425's are more intersting. So far I can't say I have found any that match my expectations... but I am a newbie in the cans world . So far, I switch phones depending on recordings

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #515 of 3,742
  Too much bass, too warm. Too bad because the timbres are not far from being right on spot. The 425's are more intersting. So far I can't say I have found any that match my expectations... but I am a newbie in the cans world . So far, I switch phones depending on recordings

ok u have a negative review on the se215 which is a good sign.
you mate are on the right track for sonic pinnacle!
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #516 of 3,742

ok u have a negative review on the se215 which is a good sign.
you mate are on the right track for sonic pinnacle!
beerchug.gif

Last obstacle, as Beck says : No Money no honey !
On my Santa's list : A Wifi DAP (X7, I5), Mee Audio Pinnacle, Audio Technica CKR9, Vsonic GR07, Shure SRH-1840, some Grado's...

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #517 of 3,742
On my Santa's list : A Wifi DAP (X7, I5), Mee Audio Pinnacle, Audio Technica CKR9, Vsonic GR07, Shure SRH-1840, some Grado's...

well played!
beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #518 of 3,742
Sorry, we don't have any plan to CanJam London 2016, we have a big show in Hong Kong that we need to attend at roughly the same time.

That's alright I understand.

Hopefully there will be a possibility to take part in a preview tour for Europeans too.
I'm looking for a new DAP, but I don't have high hopes for those at CanJam London. More or less the same as previous year. Currently keeping the Onkyo DP-X1 and Cowon Plenue D. Sold the ZX2 and had the Fiio X7 for preview. Each DAP has lacking aspects.

iBasso DX200 and Cayin i5 got my attention for now but I hear the DX200 won't show up this before christmas 2016 anyway. The Opus #1 has poor battery and I'd get annoyed by hiss with my Empire Zeus R ciems.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #519 of 3,742

Sorry, we don't have any plan to CanJam London 2016, we have a big show in Hong Kong that we need to attend at roughly the same time.

That's alright I understand.

Hopefully there will be a possibility to take part in a preview tour for Europeans too.
I'm looking for a new DAP, but I don't have high hopes for those at CanJam London. More or less the same as previous year. Currently keeping the Onkyo DP-X1 and Cowon Plenue D. Sold the ZX2 and had the Fiio X7 for preview. Each DAP has lacking aspects.

iBasso DX200 and Cayin i5 got my attention for now but I hear the DX200 won't show up this before christmas 2016 anyway. The Opus #1 has poor battery and I'd get annoyed by hiss with my Empire Zeus R ciems.

If you are annoyed by hiss with Zeus-R using Opus#1, multiply this by 10x and that's how Z-R pairs up with N5.  With i5 being in the same ballpark, I expect a similar "hissing" performance with Zeus-R.  And btw, I didn't realize 10-11 hrs battery performance of android based dap (opus#1) was considered to be "poor"
wink.gif

Btw, I don't want people to think that N5 hisses with all multi-BA iems/ciems.  I have plenty that are dead quiet, or hardly noticeable.  It all has to do with sensitivity, impedance, etc.  But if you do have iems/ciems that exhibit hissing with any of your other DAPs, there is a very good chance it will hiss with N5 and most likely with i5.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #520 of 3,742
thats a nice list

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #521 of 3,742

Where did you come up with this definition of musicality? Is this your interpretation or did you find it somewhere?

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #523 of 3,742
Never gave it much thought until I read his posts. I'd say something that sounds like music, has some sort of music like sounds. Has flow, rhythm, harmony. I don't really think of it as to reproducing the sounds of instruments per se. I think electronic music is musical. Keyboards, that type of stuff. I also think instruments, whether sounding like real or not can be musical as well.

How about you bro?

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #524 of 3,742
Never gave it much thought until I read his posts. I'd say something that sounds like music, has some sort of music like sounds. Has flow, rhythm, harmony. I don't really think of it as to reproducing the sounds of instruments per se. I think electronic music is musical. Keyboards, that type of stuff. I also think instruments, whether sounding like real or not can be musical as well.

How about you bro?

for me as long as it is not cold and fatiguing and packs little details, it is musical
:)

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #525 of 3,742
Where did you come up with this definition of musicality? Is this your interpretation or did you find it somewhere?

This is pure product of my luxurious imagination ! Let's say I was fed up with what I keep hearing about what is musical or not (cf. what I mentioned earlier). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back