Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
May 8, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #124 of 3,742
Reporting back from High End Show 2016

I took my time at Cayin booth trying out the i5.
At first listen, I was impressed. I was smiling and grinning like an idiot and I thought "Oh goddammit I'm sold"
It's hard to put detailed impressions n the sound now so I'll just describe what I was feeling at that time.
I felt the sound was detailed. Yeah, it was kinda weird for me because I thought my CIEM is already crazy detailed, yet the i5 improved it. The downside is, I was focusing too much on the details that I kinda missed the bass...

So next are the features. The i5 feels really solid and good in my hands. Looking at it in real life, I was really pleased. All of the buttons are easily reachable for me, ergonomically I found it better than Onkyo DP-X1.
The UI is Android, but unlike DP-X1, you can't navigate to Android home screen. I was only shown the music app which is based on Hiby Music and works perfectly, the vertical swap bar to turn on/off WiFi, Bluetooth and Settings and volume control.
Overall, the UI itself is pretty smooth but the touch isn't really sensitive., which means when you think you've touched the screen to swap it, it stays. I've addressed this problem to the staff there.

Next problem is regarding previous/next/start/pause song. All of these functions are still laggy. There's a noticeable delay when changing/choosing/pausing song.

The tightness of the volume knob varies between units. The unit I was testing has a slippery volume knob, but the one with the Meze plugged in is pretty solid.
The good thing is, if you lock screen, the volume knob can't be used so volume won't suddenly turn loud in your pocket.
Cayin still has time to improve it before release so I hope it'll turn out to be a really good device :beerchug:

Some pics:

Staffs are really nice and helpful. It made me comfortable staying there trying out gears.
But I forgot to ask about 3rd party app installation so I'll be going there again tomorrow this time with my macro lens to take good close up pics.  FORGOT MY LENS AT HOME NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks for droping by, most grateful for your detail impression, it helps the community to remain better imformed in due course.

The i5 on displayed are final rounds of Engineering samples, they are hand-assembled instead of coming from the Production line, the consistency will improve once we move to a calibrated production line.

I remember the Album art, come to find me at the booth today, and I'll show you the steps to install third party app. Or we can go to a location where there is free WiFi to test out Spotify app installed in i5.

Looking forwards to see you later today.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 8, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #126 of 3,742
Thanks for droping by, most grateful for your detail impression, it helps the community to remain better imformed in due course.

The i5 on displayed are final rounds of Engineering samples, they are hand-assembled instead of coming from the Production line, the consistency will improve once we move to a calibrated production line.

I remember the Album art, come to find me at the booth today, and I'll show you the steps to install third party app. Or we can go to a location where there is free WiFi to test out Spotify app installed in i5.

Looking forwards to see you later today.

Thanks Andy.
I'm really glad that you and your staffs are nice to talk to, makes me wanna spend more time there :D

I'll see you later around noon.

@Andykong
expected release date?

I asked the staff. For Asia, he said it'll be next month and later date for US/EU.

May 8, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #127 of 3,742
Thanks Andy.
I'm really glad that you and your staffs are nice to talk to, makes me wanna spend more time there
biggrin.gif

I'll see you later around noon.
I asked the staff. For Asia, he said it'll be next month and later date for US/EU.

now we are talking
tongue.gif

May 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #128 of 3,742
Thanks again to @Andykong and his staffs. Again, they were really helpful and I ended up spending most of my time at their booth testing and asking questions about the i5.
I also had a lot of laugh with your staff there 
biggrin.gif

So, here are some updates.
3rd party app installation confirmed.
As you can see, Spotify works. Andy even had JetAudio installed and also works, thought there is still a lot to fix like the volume control not working on these 3rd party apps.
Also like what some people mentioned how the FiiO X7 also had problem with noise when WiFi is on, the i5 also has this problem. I used my phone as portable hotspot and the i5 connected without problem, but there's a lot of static when listening to Spotify.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, rest assured! Cayin team has already found the solution so we could expect them to fix it before release date 
beerchug.gif

Here's some more sneak peak

Left is i5 running JetAudio and right is the stock music app

Andy showed me the USB C OTG. Gosh, the adapter looks good and feels solid! And it's USB 3.0, my dudes.

USB C to micro USB adapter will be available too, though currently I couldn't test the USB out because I have no external DAC/amp in hands.
USB C to coax out adapter will be available as a paid option.

Other informations that you guys might wanna know... It seems like the i5 supports hibernation mode, although it hasn't been tested how long the battery will last in that mode.
I hope the i5 could just hibernate like usual phones because the boot time was pretty long. ~15 seconds I counted, the staff said it could be more if you have more apps installed.
Actually, I believe they can do it because the N5 can.

And the feature that I really need when having a lot of music:

You can make playlist directly on the device. YYYYYYEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

The functionality of the sample device as a music player so far is good, nothing major enough to disturb my listening to music (except streaming).
But there'll be another batch of i5 coming so I believe Cayin can and will improve it thus delivering a hopefully almost perfect final product to us.

May 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #131 of 3,742
Library sorting by "album artist"?

It's Android, so they should be able to implement this. Andykong: Please make sure the developers know we'd like to be able to use all the popular ID3 tags (Album Artist, Composer, etc.). Allowing us to set priority for which i5 uses would be icing on the cake!

May 8, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #133 of 3,742
Thanks to the new products go to Germany to see the show of CAYIN.

Because of work reasons, I did not go to the scene, our design engineers Mr.Ye also Germany, i5, N5, C5, N6, and other products precisely from his design.

May 8, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #134 of 3,742
  Thanks again to @Andykong and his staffs. Again, they were really helpful and I ended up spending most of my time at their booth testing and asking questions about the i5.
I also had a lot of laugh with your staff there 
biggrin.gif

So, here are some updates.
3rd party app installation confirmed.
As you can see, Spotify works. Andy even had JetAudio installed and also works, thought there is still a lot to fix like the volume control not working on these 3rd party apps.
Also like what some people mentioned how the FiiO X7 also had problem with noise when WiFi is on, the i5 also has this problem. I used my phone as portable hotspot and the i5 connected without problem, but there's a lot of static when listening to Spotify.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, rest assured! Cayin team has already found the solution so we could expect them to fix it before release date 
beerchug.gif

Here's some more sneak peak

Left is i5 running JetAudio and right is the stock music app

Andy showed me the USB C OTG. Gosh, the adapter looks good and feels solid! And it's USB 3.0, my dudes.

USB C to micro USB adapter will be available too, though currently I couldn't test the USB out because I have no external DAC/amp in hands.
USB C to coax out adapter will be available as a paid option.

Other informations that you guys might wanna know... It seems like the i5 supports hibernation mode, although it hasn't been tested how long the battery will last in that mode.
I hope the i5 could just hibernate like usual phones because the boot time was pretty long. ~15 seconds I counted, the staff said it could be more if you have more apps installed.
Actually, I believe they can do it because the N5 can.

And the feature that I really need when having a lot of music:

You can make playlist directly on the device. YYYYYYEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

The functionality of the sample device as a music player so far is good, nothing major enough to disturb my listening to music (except streaming).
But there'll be another batch of i5 coming so I believe Cayin can and will improve it thus delivering a hopefully almost perfect final product to us.

Do not worry, my friend.

WIFI connection after about interference, we have found the cause and resolve the problem.

May 9, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #135 of 3,742
Library sorting by "album artist"?

It's Android, so they should be able to implement this. Andykong: Please make sure the developers know we'd like to be able to use all the popular ID3 tags (Album Artist, Composer, etc.). Allowing us to set priority for which i5 uses would be icing on the cake!

IIRC I saw the basic tags but I don't think I saw album artist etc.
Personally I don't use it for tagging but yeah maybe Andykong will hear you out and hopefully implement it.

Do not worry, my friend.

WIFI connection after about interference, we have found the cause and resolve the problem.

Yup, I've been told by your staff there.

Next update is probably when they have the date for tour. They said they're gonna have it to test the i5 because not all functions can be tested in China. So I guess the contributors here should prepare themselves :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back