1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by nmatheis, Mar 21, 2016.
Tags:
First

Back
188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197
199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208
Next

Last
  1. ngoshawk

Respectfully, I would add that the latest FW for the i5 has taken it up a notch, musically. Nik told me the same thing. I would love to hear it again, since the FW was of the old variety whenst I had it...:thumbsup:

2. ngoshawk

Also, I would add that my x5iii is working flawlessly. No problems with the update what-so-ever. So, please take the posts with a grain...it is a small percentage of those who actually own the critter.

I5 content: again, I would love to hear the latest FW; to note sonic differences. Cheers, all.

3. bavinck

Hmm, maybe you are the small percentage of those that it is working for.....lol

4. ngoshawk

Could be. Happy I'm not having problems. And I'd love to hear the i5 again, see how it has changed.

5. PinkyPowers

That can be arranged. :wink:

Are your Nightowls all burned in yet?
    :cool:

6. ngoshawk

Ummm....yes.:sunglasses:

7. nmatheis Contributor

I know, right. i5 with current fw is really good. Much better than I remembered with the older fw.

And that box isn't real wood. It's just a thin veneer :wink:

8. PinkyPowers

How are its streaming services? Any better than they used to be?

I ask, because I'm unlikely to fiddle with that myself. :D

9. nmatheis Contributor

I'm not sure I actually tried. I'll check when I get back home, although (like you) streaming music apps on a DAP really aren't my gig :rolleyes:

10. twister6 Contributor

Never had issues with Spotify (Free).  That's the only streaming I toy around with.  Per Andy's early comment, addressing Tidal buffering issue (and multi-core optimization) is still work in progress.

Oh, and just like yourself, I also rediscovered i5 when I was recently working on its review.

ngoshawk likes this.
  11. Brooko Contributor
    Just got i5 back - so will be comparing over coming week.  Quick impressions indicate that they are close in performance - and I don't hear any lack of musicality or dynamism.  i5 is a little warmer overall.  Both DAPs sound really excellent.

Quote:

You missed out my friend.  X5iii - very stable, great features.  I'm having no issues either.  And I have to test most things for the review.  Tidal off-line working perfectly too - and can download to the card. When I read that thread sometimes, I shake my head.  Often just 1 or 2 people re-iterating same thing over and over.  Signal to noise ratio is low.  Most people loving the device from what I can see.

x RELIC x and ngoshawk like this.
  12. PinkyPowers
    Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I really found the X5 to sound so dull and lifeless. In single-ended or balanced. I would say it needed burn in, but I was the third reviewer who tested that unit.

13. ngoshawk

Correction, you were the second. Best of luck with the i5, too. It is good.:sunglasses:

14. PinkyPowers

It was only you who had it before me? Weird. It felt like a long, long time I waited. Oh well.

I needed the i5 back on-hand to do an update of my review with the new firmware, and fully burned in. All things I've been told will change the sound. So Cayin sent me one of those same review units from the original tour. Andrew of MusicTeck still had them.

I must say, it sounds better than I remembered. And I quite liked the sound last time.

ngoshawk likes this.
  15. Soundtrap
    Looking at my experience with AK Jr and AK70, which I just can't digest using Senn Momentums, while with Beyer Custom Street they sound more than adequate, maybe pairing between X5III and your Phones just wasn't a match. I can't wait for mine to arrive and then I'll see the big Three shoutout winner ( PM2, I5 and X5III).

First

Back
188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197
199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208
Next

Last