Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #2,956 of 3,742
I have the i5 in my possession again. Updated to v2.2. Man, this DAP sounds good. It's so much more musical and dynamic than the FiiO X5-3.

I laughed out loud when I saw the elaborate wood box the coaxial cable resides in. I don't remember that from before. Very over-the-top. But I like it! :D

The red-stitched case is quite lovely in person. Well done Cayin!

:beerchug:

Respectfully, I would add that the latest FW for the i5 has taken it up a notch, musically. Nik told me the same thing. I would love to hear it again, since the FW was of the old variety whenst I had it...:thumbsup:

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,957 of 3,742
I have the i5 in my possession again. Updated to v2.2. Man, this DAP sounds good. It's so much more musical and dynamic than the FiiO X5-3.

I laughed out loud when I saw the elaborate wood box the coaxial cable resides in. I don't remember that from before. Very over-the-top. But I like it!
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

I decided to skip the x5iii after the x7 gong-show. Looks like it was a good call. Poked my head into that thread today - looks like the same old firmware issues the X7 had.

Also, I would add that my x5iii is working flawlessly. No problems with the update what-so-ever. So, please take the posts with a grain...it is a small percentage of those who actually own the critter.

I5 content: again, I would love to hear the latest FW; to note sonic differences. Cheers, all.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,958 of 3,742
Also, I would add that my x5iii is working flawlessly. No problems with the update what-so-ever. So, please take the posts with a grain...it is a small percentage of those who actually own the critter.

I5 content: again, I would love to hear the latest FW; to note sonic differences. Cheers, all.

Hmm, maybe you are the small percentage of those that it is working for.....lol

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #2,959 of 3,742

Hmm, maybe you are the small percentage of those that it is working for.....lol

Could be. Happy I'm not having problems. And I'd love to hear the i5 again, see how it has changed.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2,960 of 3,742
Could be. Happy I'm not having problems. And I'd love to hear the i5 again, see how it has changed.

That can be arranged. :wink:

Are your Nightowls all burned in yet?
:cool:

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,961 of 3,742
Mar 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,962 of 3,742

I laughed out loud when I saw the elaborate wood box the coaxial cable resides in. I don't remember that from before. Very over-the-top. But I like it! :D

:beerchug:

I know, right. i5 with current fw is really good. Much better than I remembered with the older fw.

And that box isn't real wood. It's just a thin veneer :wink:

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,963 of 3,742
I know, right. i5 with current fw is really good. Much better than I remembered with the older fw.

And that box isn't real wood. It's just a thin veneer :wink:

How are its streaming services? Any better than they used to be?

I ask, because I'm unlikely to fiddle with that myself. :D

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,964 of 3,742

I ask, because I'm unlikely to fiddle with that myself. :D

I'm not sure I actually tried. I'll check when I get back home, although (like you) streaming music apps on a DAP really aren't my gig :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #2,965 of 3,742

And that box isn't real wood. It's just a thin veneer
wink.gif

I ask, because I'm unlikely to fiddle with that myself.
biggrin.gif

Never had issues with Spotify (Free).  That's the only streaming I toy around with.  Per Andy's early comment, addressing Tidal buffering issue (and multi-core optimization) is still work in progress.

Oh, and just like yourself, I also rediscovered i5 when I was recently working on its review.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,966 of 3,742
Just got i5 back - so will be comparing over coming week.  Quick impressions indicate that they are close in performance - and I don't hear any lack of musicality or dynamism.  i5 is a little warmer overall.  Both DAPs sound really excellent.

Quote:

You missed out my friend.  X5iii - very stable, great features.  I'm having no issues either.  And I have to test most things for the review.  Tidal off-line working perfectly too - and can download to the card. When I read that thread sometimes, I shake my head.  Often just 1 or 2 people re-iterating same thing over and over.  Signal to noise ratio is low.  Most people loving the device from what I can see.

I decided to skip the x5iii after the x7 gong-show. Looks like it was a good call. Poked my head into that thread today - looks like the same old firmware issues the X7 had.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,967 of 3,742
Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I really found the X5 to sound so dull and lifeless. In single-ended or balanced. I would say it needed burn in, but I was the third reviewer who tested that unit.

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,968 of 3,742
Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I really found the X5 to sound so dull and lifeless. In single-ended or balanced. I would say it needed burn in, but I was the third reviewer who tested that unit.

Correction, you were the second. Best of luck with the i5, too. It is good.:sunglasses:

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,969 of 3,742
Correction, you were the second. Best of luck with the i5, too. It is good.:sunglasses:

It was only you who had it before me? Weird. It felt like a long, long time I waited. Oh well.

I needed the i5 back on-hand to do an update of my review with the new firmware, and fully burned in. All things I've been told will change the sound. So Cayin sent me one of those same review units from the original tour. Andrew of MusicTeck still had them.

I must say, it sounds better than I remembered. And I quite liked the sound last time.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #2,970 of 3,742

Looking at my experience with AK Jr and AK70, which I just can't digest using Senn Momentums, while with Beyer Custom Street they sound more than adequate, maybe pairing between X5III and your Phones just wasn't a match. I can't wait for mine to arrive and then I'll see the big Three shoutout winner ( PM2, I5 and X5III).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back