Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Mar 18, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,986 of 3,742
Thanks Andy. I'll try the factory reset when I get home tonight. Also is there a way to tell what apps are running? I only have 4 apps installed (Spotify, and the 3 that were on it) but when I press Task Killer up to 8 apps are "terminated". How is this possible? I also notice even when I haven't opened any apps some are still running when I hit Killer.

If no apps were running your unit would be off:) It runs android so go to settings and apps and you will see a list of apps running. Many apps will be running as part of android and you can't shut them down.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,987 of 3,742
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any information in response to my question a few days ago regarding the availability of an Android or iPhone/iPad control app' for the i5? My i5 is going to spend most of its time connected to a home amplifier.

Also, since making my first post the other day I've been using the i5 a lot and already created quite a few playlists. Is there any way of backing up playlists?

Edit: I should add, I have no criticisms of the i5. The more I use it, the more I like it. The sound quality is outstanding.

Thanks again

Brian

The i5 supports DLNA, but it is not fully functional. It can read music file in other DLNA device and play them in i5, but not vice versa, so you cannot use a DLNA player app to control the playback of i5 directly.

If you have a Bluetooth remote control laying around, maybe you can give it a try, you probably can manipulate basic control such as play/pause, prev/next track or Fast forward/Rewind, but I don't think you can browse the folders or access the Album/Artist tab on the i5 through a BT remote control.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 18, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,988 of 3,742
Slower rolloffs take out some of the top end. The slower the rolloff the more so.

The short-delay filters put any ringing caused by antialiasing at the back end of the impulse, which theoretically masks the ringing better.

The rationale for using each filter may be as follows:
Sharp rolloff: your high frequency hearing doesn't go up to the Nyquist frequency (22050Hz in the case of 44.1kHz sample rate) so you choose to use a sharp rolloff filter. This way you get flat response up to the limits of your hearing and no audible ringing (only inaudible ringing at 20000-22050Hz)

Slow (or super slow) rolloff: your high frequency hearing does go up to and above 20000Hz so much that you do hear ringing at those frequencies; besides, modern pop music is mastered too brightly for your tastes. You kill two birds with one stone, the slow rolloff filter: it makes ringing less noticeable and the highest frequencies less prominent.

Linear phase filters (i.e. the ones not labelled "short delay"): you believe preserving the phase relationships of instrumental sounds up to the highest frequencies is beneficial to correct soundstage reconstruction.

Minimum phase filters (i.e. the ones labelled "short delay"): you hear ringing with the "not short delay" version of the same filter and want to make it less obvious without switching to a slower rolloff filter. Or, you really have use for a shorter delay (playing twitch games on your i5???)

That said, don't be surprised if you don't hear a difference; the differences are subtle at best.

Excellent explanation, couldn't have done it better, and I would say this is a better explanation that the original quote from AKM directly. AKM describe these filters as Sound Color Digital Filter (SCDF):
Focusing on the waveform in the time domain, the built-in 32-bit 8x digital filter controls the transient response of the signal. The 5 types of digital filters allow the music playback in a variety of sound quality settings by switching the filter type.

The diagram suggested the biggest different among the filters are Super Slow Roll-off vs Sharp roll-off, so if you want to experiment on the digital filter, start with this two filter settings, you should be able to tell which is the preferred setting and then you can further explore from there on. For example, if you prefer Super Slow Roll-off, you can compare it with Short delay Slow roll-off, the different should be relatively subtle by now.

If you can't hear the different (which is quite often the case), or you won't bother the subtle different, I suggest you set the filter to Slow roll-off which is the middle of everything, this should give you peace of mind without significant different from other settings.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2,989 of 3,742
Hellaw everyone. I'm Windows X, modding Calyx M, and iBasso DAPs firmwares sharing in Head-Fi forum here. I wonder if you guys are interested if I mod Cayin i5 as well?

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,990 of 3,742
Thanks to Cayin and everyone else involved for arranging the UK tour.

I've been listening for a couple of hours now, and my general impressions are of a solid little device (literally too) with great sound.
I'm having trouble getting Tidal on it, but I think that's the result of allowing my account to lapse while I wait for another player that's overdue.

The unit itself is impressive.
Both build quality and design are pretty good, although for some reason I really want to turn it upside down and have the volume knob on the bottom edge instead of up top.
It's minor, but I definitely prefer having headhone sockets on the bottom edge of pocket devices too, just seems more convenient that way to me.
Perhaps flipping the screen upside down is possible via sofware, but I can't imagine much of a demand for that feature beyond me.
No biggie though, definitely not even close to a deal breaker.

Sound quality wise; it's too early to say much, as all I've used so far is Spotify extreme, no complaints though.
SQ is good enough to expose some weaknesses in the AKG K553 pro's that I've been mostly using so far (I know it's them, as my CIEM's sound much better).
Once I've had a few days with the i5 I'll report more on SQ in a little more detail, but first impressions are pretty decent, with satisfaction taking a fairly large leap up from my old Sony Xperia cellphone (as you'd hope).

Tidal is the main feature I plan to use in whatever DAP I end up with, so proper function is critical to me, but I can report that Spotify works as well as the cellphone app for me, which is great.
I don't really think I'll be relying on the streaming feature much, as I hope to download playlists to use offline (I wont be near Wi-Fi much so this is important to me).

As others have said, I too like the slightly heavy and solid feel of the device.
It's a little larger that I'd ideally like, but given the i5's feature set, I can forgive this.
Fit and finish is very good, reminds me of good quality camera gear, and the leather case is classy, and very nice to handle, I don't think I'll be using the i5 without it.

Anyway I'm looking forward to giving the i5 a bit more of a workout in the next few days.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,991 of 3,742
  Hellaw everyone. I'm Windows X, modding Calyx M, and iBasso DAPs firmwares sharing in Head-Fi forum here. I wonder if you guys are interested if I mod Cayin i5 as well?

Regards,
Keetakawee

What kind of modifications would those be?  I'm in to try if it concerns the improvements of the OS and the UI navigation.  I might change my decision to sell mine if it turns out great.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #2,994 of 3,742
Hello, having this dap and experienced an issue with channel disbalance. I hear clearly that music panorama offseted to the right. Is it my sporadic defect, or someone also have this issue? And how much adequate is channel balance setup?

Thank you

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #2,995 of 3,742

What kind of modifications would those be?  I'm in to try if it concerns the improvements of the OS and the UI navigation.  I might change my decision to sell mine if it turns out great.

Probably something similar to this ones

http://www.head-fi.org/t/833971/ibasso-dx200-firmware-modification-project

It probably won't get so much better until you get advanced ROM version of it. Anyway, I don't like stock Cayin i5 sound but after modding hardware, it was great and my friend is using my ultimate modded i5 player with great results.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #2,998 of 3,742
Here's public Purist ROM upon request. I made the following changes as below.

-Enabled ART runtime (has better sound quality than Dalvik runtime)
-Removed stock Audio effect bundles
-Improved video rendering performance
-Improved storage I/O performance

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8eh2a8ty8xsxc89/i5-Update-2.2-WindowsX-Public.zip

Since many people asked for Gaplass and fixing Poweramp stuff, I decided to lower the bar for people who want it. This is 'hardly' Purist but that's as far as I can do to keep up with compatibility request. True purist ROM will have the following features:

1. audio effect engine removed completely
2. Equalizer/Gaplass/ffmpeg components removed from core audio engine
3. I/O optimizations will be optimized for lowest possible latency with stable sonic performance

That's what true purist looks like and it'll still be available for customers who purchased Advanced ROM from me.

I also have Cayin i5 modification service (ROM and hardware modification) for people who're interested in taking this to the further levels. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #2,999 of 3,742
Hi @WindowsX!  Can you include the procedures of installation and how to revert to original ROM?  Also, please mention if there are prerequisites before installation like unlocking bootloader or installing PC components.  I'm willing to try this software mod and waiting to see your hardware mod.  Thanks!

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #3,000 of 3,742
You can flash this ROM like normal Cayin i5 firmware. No need for extra instructions. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back