Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Oct 12, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,548 of 3,742
Cayin has announced a tour for the i5 Android based DAP, Its a bit surprised that the respond to the Tour is not as positive as we have anticipated. Since this is the main discussion platform for the i5 and I was under the impression that there are quite a lot of HeadFiers are interested to try out this new DAP, I'll invite everyone to check out the offer and see if this will fit into your schedule/interest. I hope the i5 tour can conduct as planned, looking forward to see you there. :beerchug:

[Reviewers Wanted] World Tour for Cayin i5 - Android based AK4490 DAP with WiFi, Dropbox and Google Play

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 13, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,551 of 3,742
  they cost the same at my place soo had to choose between them

Same here, the latest review on Headfonics.com is very much in favor of the i5
But the 2 MicroSD slots on the XDP-100R are very handy also......

I do feel that Cayin is more supportive in addressing and solving issues via firmware updates.
Big companies like Onkyo/Company just introduce a new dap every year and expect everyone to just follow the (mobile phone like) hype and buy the new one and simply forget about last years model.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #1,552 of 3,742
I didn't have much faith in Pioneer XDP-100R since there's the Onkyo DP-X1 and now they're also releasing XDP-300R and DP-X1A with superior specs.
Though if I have to take DP-X1 as reference, Cayin is warmer and thus has more bass.
It'll depend on your requirements of course. I chose Cayin because I want it to function merely as DAP. Also customer service rocks.
The Pioneer & Onkyo both have better specs & UI, and have no trouble playing videos and even mobile game.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #1,553 of 3,742
  I didn't have much faith in Pioneer XDP-100R since there's the Onkyo DP-X1 and now they're also releasing XDP-300R and DP-X1A with superior specs.
Though if I have to take DP-X1 as reference, Cayin is warmer and thus has more bass.
It'll depend on your requirements of course. I chose Cayin because I want it to function merely as DAP. Also customer service rocks.
The Pioneer & Onkyo both have better specs & UI, and have no trouble playing videos and even mobile game.

XDP-100R and i5 are now in the same GBP 400 / Euro 435 price range, so if you can compare the i5 to the DP-X1 (and so XDP-300R) and they are close the i5 could be considered a best buy / best value

The Pioneer and Onkyo have a bigger screen with a higher resolution, an extra MicroSD slot, MQA capabilities and the possibility to play video. On the other hand the i5 AKM4490 DAC is considered better than a (single) ES9018K2M, output of the i5 is higher, able to drive bigger cans and it appears their support is more customer focused.
Prio 1 is a good audio player. Watching videos and playing games can be done on my mobile. 

I am leaning towards the i5, the DP-X1/DP-X1A and XDP-300R are at least GBP/Euro 200 more expensive, you can buy a nice extra headphone for the price difference.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #1,555 of 3,742
  Amp3 in the uk often have a 10% voucher running which brings the i5 down further.

Thanks for the tip! And they even ship to the Netherlands, great!

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,556 of 3,742
Tough one isn't it?  Shame we can't have the pioneer i5 or the Cayin xdp100r :p (best of both worlds, in other words :) )

Same here, the latest review on Headfonics.com is very much in favor of the i5
But the 2 MicroSD slots on the XDP-100R are very handy also......

I do feel that Cayin is more supportive in addressing and solving issues via firmware updates.
Big companies like Onkyo/Company just introduce a new dap every year and expect everyone to just follow the (mobile phone like) hype and buy the new one and simply forget about last years model.

I am traveling in US right now, so I was limited to simple copy and paste posts in past few days, hopefully will get back to regular pace by early next week.

Other then comparing obvious features, I would like to chime in from a product development perspective, but please be aware that I am a Cayin stakeholder when you consider my opinion.

The Pioneer XDP-100R has a much faster CPU and better DSP implementation, the control and manipulation on digital audio is superior to i5. Cayin does not process necessary supply chain nor meeting the MoQ to acquire CPU/MCU at that capacity/specification, or the digital solution available to the CPU/MCU. If you flavor the DSP functions and need a better integration on Android service and support to third party application, I would say the XDP-300R is a better option.

To my ear personally, i5 is a fairly powerful DAP, can handle a wide range of IEMs and headphones, and carry a very musical implementation of Cayin's house sound. Being a specialized boutique brand we are flexible and dedicated, and we strive to improve our products continuously. We have to because the competition is tough and we cannot afford even one failure in our line-up. Fortunately we didn't make a lot of mistakes in past few years and have developed a reputable name on continuous product support. :p

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,557 of 3,742
XDP-100R and i5 are now in the same GBP 400 / Euro 435 price range, so if you can compare the i5 to the DP-X1 (and so XDP-300R) and they are close the i5 could be considered a best buy / best value

The Pioneer and Onkyo have a bigger screen with a higher resolution, an extra MicroSD slot, MQA capabilities and the possibility to play video. On the other hand the i5 AKM4490 DAC is considered better than a (single) ES9018K2M, output of the i5 is higher, able to drive bigger cans and it appears their support is more customer focused.
Prio 1 is a good audio player. Watching videos and playing games can be done on my mobile. 

I am leaning towards the i5, the DP-X1/DP-X1A and XDP-300R are at least GBP/Euro 200 more expensive, you can buy a nice extra headphone for the price difference.

Sorry that I didn't do my homework in advance, can someone explain the different between XDP-300R with DP-X1?

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,558 of 3,742
Amp3 in the uk often have a 10% voucher running which brings the i5 down further.

Advanced MP3 is Cayin's authorized dealer in UK, they are slow in picking up new products, but they do provide solid support and commitment once they take it up, definitely one of our trustworthy partner in oversee market, strongly recommended if you are within their service coverage. :beerchug:

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cayin.663/CAYINI5/Cayin_i5_Master_Quality_Digital_Audio_Player.14991.html

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,559 of 3,742
Sorry that I didn't do my homework in advance, can someone explain the different between XDP-300R with DP-X1?

No problem: AFAIK there is no difference; the XDP-300R is last years DP-X1 renamed to Pioneer and with a new jackplate because of they issues with the loose headphone jacks on the DP-X1.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,560 of 3,742
I am traveling in US right now, so I was limited to simple copy and paste posts in past few days, hopefully will get back to regular pace by early next week.

Other then comparing obvious features, I would like to chime in from a product development perspective, but please be aware that I am a Cayin stakeholder when you consider my opinion.

The Pioneer XDP-100R has a much faster CPU and better DSP implementation, the control and manipulation on digital audio is superior to i5. Cayin does not process necessary supply chain nor meeting the MoQ to acquire CPU/MCU at that capacity/specification, or the digital solution available to the CPU/MCU. If you flavor the DSP functions and need a better integration on Android service and support to third party application, I would say the XDP-300R is a better option.

To my ear personally, i5 is a fairly powerful DAP, can handle a wide range of IEMs and headphones, and carry a very musical implementation of Cayin's house sound. Being a specialized boutique brand we are flexible and dedicated, and we strive to improve our products continuously. We have to because the competition is tough and we cannot afford even one failure in our line-up. Fortunately we didn't make a lot of mistakes in past few years and have developed a reputable name on continuous product support.
tongue.gif

Thanks for your unbiased opinion, much appreciated, but now you have me changing my mind in going for the XDP-100R instead. 
wink.gif

Note that the XDP-300R is basically last years DP-X1, so with a dual ES9018K2M and balanced out.

To put this in perspective:
DP-X1 price is still around GBP 699.-
XDP-300R SRP is GBP 599,-
XDP-100R (single ES9018K2M) is now available for GBP 399,-, same as i5.
So comparing the i5 to the DP-X1/XDP-300R is not fair, comparing the i5 to the XDP-100R (based on current pricetag) is.

Joking aside: if you don't dsp your music (I don't EQ my music at all) don't need apps you normally would install on your mobile phone and just need for a very capable music player your choice would be i5, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back