Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Oct 8, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,531 of 3,742
@willyfri
 : did you make this cable yourself? or did you buy it?  It looks good!

Just one comment, for usb-otg cables it probably makes sense to keep it short, but with coax cable, where you are dealing with external DAC/amp, I think it was a good idea that Cayin went ahead with 42" long cable, giving more room to move the "transport" around :wink:

If this is mean for a portable usage, then a short cable is understandable. For desktop application we would recommend something like a 1m to 1.5m for convenient and impedance control reason. A coaxial cable should remain at 75ohm as much as possible, if you turn your coaxial cable too sharp, it might affect the overall impedance slightly. Some coaxial cable requires a larger turning radius in order to remain at 75ohm, but some might be more flexible and can accommodate a sharper turn. You have to check up the specification of the cable for that kind of detail.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #1,532 of 3,742
We are a regular in Munich High End Audio Show, so hopefully I'll be seeing you again later.

Since you like the Cayin house sound in general, you should take a look into our iDAC-6 when you are looking for a desktop DAC
tongue.gif

The Cable will available around 1 week later, so stay tune if you are interested.

I hope you had it in black finish though 
rolleyes.gif

I did consider it but back then I had to prioritize amp first so starting now I gotta read the general signature of the DACs I'm considering. If only you have EU tour for that... 

1 week is no long wait but is it gonna be available on Chinese websites only or through EU dealers too?

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,535 of 3,742
item 1 and 3 have been registered in our to-do list but they are under optimization category instead of bug category.

Item 4 is a bug entry and we are working on that.

Item 2 is a bug for sure, unfortunately we cannot replicate the bug in our factory, and therefore cannot test nor figure out the cause or solution at this problem, we shall keep our eyes open and as soon as we catch a machine with this problem, we'll probe into it immediately.

Maybe for the 30:00 you can check with your Singapore distributor? I believe several users in Singapore have the same issue and I remembered it on the demo unit from jaben. Perhaps
jaben could send back their demo unit?

And in case I can make some further suggestions or report further observations:

- I realized that artwork thumbnails appear in lower quality if shown under "artist" compared to shown under "albums"
- Sorting by "album artist" would be a great addition
- Optional list view instead of thumbnails for albums and artists

And one question:

- How do I manage to have thumbnails in the artist view? Do I need to install last.fm or some other app?

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,536 of 3,742
HeadFonics has just onlined the first major review of the i5, check this out if you are interested in the DAP.

The i5 DAP by Cayin

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 10, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,538 of 3,742
Oct 10, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,540 of 3,742
Nice, but unreadable - gray text on light gray background. Small, blurry and unsharp photos. Web designer is not well educated, in my opinion.

Love your avatar. Great movie. Great actor.

Perhaps it's just because I'm on the mobile site, but it's completely legible for me. Dark gray text on white background.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,541 of 3,742

Nice, but unreadable - gray text on light gray background. Small, blurry and unsharp photos. Web designer is not well educated, in my opinion.

Love your avatar. Great movie. Great actor.

Perhaps it's just because I'm on the mobile site, but it's completely legible for me. Dark gray text on white background.

Great movie, indeed! 

And yes, I can read Marcus review fine.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,543 of 3,742
HeadFonics has just onlined the first major review of the i5, check this out if you are interested in the DAP.

The i5 DAP by Cayin

Great review - I really want this DAP but I have committed to not buying stuff I don't need!! I may just have to make an exception for this little beautie. Something tells me my Focal Classic's will sing with this combo.

If I had not just recently got a DX90 I would already own this DAP.

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,544 of 3,742
  Great review - I really want this DAP but I have committed to not buying stuff I don't need!! I may just have to make an exception for this little beautie. Something tells me my Focal Classic's will sing with this combo.

If I had not just recently got a DX90 I would already own this DAP.

You don't want to buy stuff you don't need? Lol! You might be in the wrong forum. There is a lot of us here who buy stuff we "don't need" - it is a hobby and the expensive one at that . Once you catch " a bug" it is hard to resist "to try this player with that pair of headphones, than this amp with that player and those earphones".... and potential for going very poor extremely quickly is huge, just look it me. BUT Iam happy poor every time I put "them" headphones and use that player I am in another Galaxy where only power of music and extraordinary sound matters. Amen!
P.S.: I do admire your determination to resist the urge.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,545 of 3,742
I'm thinking of buying Cowon Plenue D. With eq, i think sound will be close to Cayin i5?

Cowon Plenue D is 200$, Cayin i5 is 470$. Except being able to stream music, does Cayin have that much sound quality difference?

Also i guess Plenue D is on discount now. Normally it was 300$. If it will be 300$ soon, i must buy it now. But i am thinking of black friday, that i can buy i5 or same player for 300$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back