Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #6,136 of 6,257
I did extra pay to have them matched. If there are no measurements provided on the box or tube, how do I know that they were matched?

Jeff.
You would have no idea. What they may consider close, may be within a certain % but who knows.

Apr 15, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #6,137 of 6,257
You would have no idea. What they may consider close, may be within a certain % but who knows.
Within 10% was a mentioned statistic to me earlier today. I guess it help weed out the out of spec tubes and give you a set with a fighting chance of being decent.

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #6,138 of 6,257
Within 10% was a mentioned statistic to me earlier today. I guess it help weed out the out of spec tubes and give you a set with a fighting chance of being decent.
Or have your own tube tester since you don't want to use your amp as a tube tester to find out if the tube is bad.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #6,139 of 6,257
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #6,140 of 6,257
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #6,141 of 6,257
Yeah I am still absolutely blown away by this amp. The We300b and Mullard White combo is just insane. I tried the Pinnacle tubes but found them quite sharp/edgy in the midrange. It could also be a factor of the Topping D90 dac, which is known to be a bit cold. I'll try these again when I get the Holo May and see if that softens them up. I did find them to be more detailed and have better extension in the low end than the Mullards. But the loss of the realism and enjoyment factors plus the sibilance and it wasn't even close for me.

The Mullards just have super lush and smooth mids. Every time I try a new set of tubes it makes me realize how good these Mullards are. I'm not sure if I'm being picky or they are just that good :'D.

Everytime I switch gear I find my preferences for music change a bit to whatever sounds best. So far these songs are favorites
  • Ivy Lab / Two Fingers / Amon Tobin - Orange ( If you like bass, this song is crazy, strap in :'D )
  • Taylor Swift - My Tears Ricochet ( This amp literally turned my into a Taylor Swift fan, I never liked her music before, but hearing it on this setup is very nice )
  • Melody Gardot - Bad News

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #6,142 of 6,257
2 observation :

1. Over time I noticed that the speaker out has become softer, getting a bit less treble and extension. I would call it more "tubey".
2. This is not the case with the headphone outs. I have a SS Topping LA90, and if I run the output from the 6.3 into the LA90 (so HA300 becomes a pre and LA90 is a power amp, btw LA90 is a lot better than the price would have you believe), then the performance is completely different. There's plenty of detail and full extension.

So ... maybe the speaker taps is not the best solution over time 🤷‍♂️

And additionally WE in this context are awesome. Full extension, natural, beautiful performance.

And KenRad 7193 quads are also amazing. For me easily on par with Mullard Whiteprints. Great tubes.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #6,143 of 6,257
I love that we have a thread going where many have the Mullard Whiteprints so we can all relate to the comparisons 💪. I've been wanting to try the speaker taps on this thing as well, I'm very curious what a tube amp and the May will do for my speakers. They are tower speakers ( albeit with a sub handling the low end ) so I'm curios if this will be able to power them. Currently have it running a NAD M10 integrated amp with dirac. Depending on the improvement I might have to figure out a way to keep them in the same room. Currently my speaker system is in a different room than the headphone system so I have some options in each room and space limitations :'D

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #6,144 of 6,257
I love that we have a thread going where many have the Mullard Whiteprints so we can all relate to the comparisons 💪. I've been wanting to try the speaker taps on this thing as well, I'm very curious what a tube amp and the May will do for my speakers. They are tower speakers ( albeit with a sub handling the low end ) so I'm curios if this will be able to power them. Currently have it running a NAD M10 integrated amp with dirac. Depending on the improvement I might have to figure out a way to keep them in the same room. Currently my speaker system is in a different room than the headphone system so I have some options in each room and space limitations :'D
Depends on your speaker's sensitivity. If it's above 90db then it should be ok.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #6,145 of 6,257
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #6,146 of 6,257
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 18, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #6,147 of 6,257
I have a question regarding the Pinnacle 6J5GT driver tubes that I purchased from Langrex.

I was reading the following piece by Thomas Mayer - http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2013/03/tube-of-month-6j5.html

He stated that if two of those tubes are used in parallel that it can result in too much gain. Seeing that my volume control when using a Meze Empy Elite headphone is roughly between 9 - 10 o'clock suggesting that I have a lot of gain, could I forgo use of the adapter and just use one 6J5GT tube for each channel?

Jeff.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #6,148 of 6,257
2 observation :

1. Over time I noticed that the speaker out has become softer, getting a bit less treble and extension. I would call it more "tubey".
2. This is not the case with the headphone outs. I have a SS Topping LA90, and if I run the output from the 6.3 into the LA90 (so HA300 becomes a pre and LA90 is a power amp, btw LA90 is a lot better than the price would have you believe), then the performance is completely different. There's plenty of detail and full extension.

So ... maybe the speaker taps is not the best solution over time 🤷‍♂️

And additionally WE in this context are awesome. Full extension, natural, beautiful performance.

And KenRad 7193 quads are also amazing. For me easily on par with Mullard Whiteprints. Great tubes.
My Kenrad 7193 are far far more rounded off than the whiteprints. Whiteprints are massively dynamic, as are the orange and red prints (initially i quite enjoyed the red prints but need more time). Where i do enjoy the Kenrads is that they are utterly inoffensive. But they are definitely rounded off at top end and hold the midrange back. I have two sets and both i would class as equally rounded. The Mullards CV6 are a clear step above in dynamics, imaging and holographic presentation. They sound massive. I was also testing the Fivre 6c5g mesh plates last night. Beautiful sound, but still smaller and less dynamic than the Mullard CV6. I personally think CV6 is the real deal.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #6,149 of 6,257
Yeah I am still absolutely blown away by this amp. The We300b and Mullard White combo is just insane. I tried the Pinnacle tubes but found them quite sharp/edgy in the midrange. It could also be a factor of the Topping D90 dac, which is known to be a bit cold. I'll try these again when I get the Holo May and see if that softens them up. I did find them to be more detailed and have better extension in the low end than the Mullards. But the loss of the realism and enjoyment factors plus the sibilance and it wasn't even close for me.

The Mullards just have super lush and smooth mids. Every time I try a new set of tubes it makes me realize how good these Mullards are. I'm not sure if I'm being picky or they are just that good :'D.

Everytime I switch gear I find my preferences for music change a bit to whatever sounds best. So far these songs are favorites
  • Ivy Lab / Two Fingers / Amon Tobin - Orange ( If you like bass, this song is crazy, strap in :'D )
  • Taylor Swift - My Tears Ricochet ( This amp literally turned my into a Taylor Swift fan, I never liked her music before, but hearing it on this setup is very nice )
  • Melody Gardot - Bad News
I still cant comment fully on Pinnacles. Initial impression is that they are decent. But when i swapped out to Mullard CV6 red print the staging exploded in size and made the pinnacles pale. CV6 are exceptional for my money. Fivres 6cg5 mesh black base are nice, a step above Pinnacles. But lets be fair, NONE of my tubes are run in at this stage.

I too started using Swift "Blank space" as a bit of a test piece... imaging is amazing! Super clean sounding song.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #6,150 of 6,257
I have a question regarding the Pinnacle 6J5GT driver tubes that I purchased from Langrex.

I was reading the following piece by Thomas Mayer - http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2013/03/tube-of-month-6j5.html

He stated that if two of those tubes are used in parallel that it can result in too much gain. Seeing that my volume control when using a Meze Empy Elite headphone is roughly between 9 - 10 o'clock suggesting that I have a lot of gain, could I forgo use of the adapter and just use one 6J5GT tube for each channel?

Jeff.
Great question. I'd like to understand why, or why not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back