Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #6,151 of 6,283
My Kenrad 7193 are far far more rounded off than the whiteprints. Whiteprints are massively dynamic, as are the orange and red prints (initially i quite enjoyed the red prints but need more time). Where i do enjoy the Kenrads is that they are utterly inoffensive. But they are definitely rounded off at top end and hold the midrange back. I have two sets and both i would class as equally rounded. The Mullards CV6 are a clear step above in dynamics, imaging and holographic presentation. They sound massive. I was also testing the Fivre 6c5g mesh plates last night. Beautiful sound, but still smaller and less dynamic than the Mullard CV6. I personally think CV6 is the real deal.
Interesting, for me KenRads have more extension and are sharper and Mullards are more musical and slightly softer. Dynamics are on par. Mullards might have more bass and body.

Worth adding that Mullards softened up a bit over time and KenRads tightened up and sharpened up so far.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #6,152 of 6,283
The branded 6J5GT tubes that are from the USSR branded Pinnacle, like all tubes, need some burn in. They sound pretty good for around 10 hours then to my ears, go soft and a little flat sounding and overly warm. They they start to open up and get more dynamic, transparent and refined sounding.

On the gain, I think the Cayin runs the tubes as an input tube and one half as the cathode follower. I would have to look at the connections again but I don't think they are in parallel.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #6,153 of 6,283
Interesting, for me KenRads have more extension and are sharper and Mullards are more musical and slightly softer. Dynamics are on par. Mullards might have more bass and body.

Worth adding that Mullards softened up a bit over time and KenRads tightened up and sharpened up so far.
I keep reading all these conflicting tube thoughts, and I think it's because we all have different gear aside from the HA300MK2.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #6,154 of 6,283

For me, Mullard CV6 are just knocking it out the park. Its not close, they wipe the floor with them. But i appreciate the kenrads for not putting afoot wrong. You can play mine flat out and not find a sharpness to them. Its possible this pair im listening to now are worn, but i have had two pairs and i remember them being more rounded. If i had not only just swapped them I question it, but mine are night and day. I agree they are a great tube, but the dynamics on the CV6 are like changing down to 3rd gear - The Kenrad's are like cruising in 6th :) My white prints are run in and probably the only set i have that have really had full play time. They are also an exceptionally strong set.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #6,155 of 6,283
For me, Mullard CV6 are just knocking it out the park. Its not close, they wipe the floor with them. But i appreciate te kenrads for not putting afoot wrong. You can play mine flat out and not find a sharpness to them. Its possible this pair im listening to now are worn, but i have had two pairs and i remember them being more rounded. If i had not only just swapped them I question it, but mine are night and day. I agree they are a great tube, but the dynamics on the CV6 are like changing down to 3rd gear - The Kenrad's are like cruising in 6th :) My white prints are run in and probably the only set i have that have really had full play time. They are also an exceptionally strong set.
I can indeed only put this to pairings and synergy 🤷‍♂️

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #6,157 of 6,283
I have found another source for Pinnacle 6J5GT tubes.

https://www.laboratoriomusicale.net/en/6j5gt-pinnacle-nos-triode-tube-selection

Note that they are cheaper than Langrex and they offer printed measurements of matching measurements.

Jeff.
Yep, that tube can be found many different places, and my original post linking to Langrex was just for ease of use. Sure, there are more listing on eBay for cheaper, I just chose to link a well know dealer on my first post.

I have bought quads of 6S2S tested for 30 bucks. :wink: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2235026364...-95dd-9693fc6299cb|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage

I bought some from this seller too, and they are legit with test numbers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1146391156...vO/zZ4dDrLrqcjEJ8vx9I1mbtX|tkp:Bk9SR9jzx9_eYw

This tube is plentiful, and cheap. Can't get any better, as I think it sounds great too.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #6,158 of 6,283
Taste the rainbow. . .

1000005084.jpg

1000005103.jpg

I am quite happy with this collection, and in my opinion they are all top tier tubes. :grin:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #6,159 of 6,283
Taste the rainbow. . .

1000005084.jpg

Which are your favorites? At some point, I'm likely going to snag an HA300 and I'm going to keep my eye open for these.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #6,161 of 6,283
One thought about tube choices and gear pairings (sorry I'm behind the discussion):

I find all of my Russian tubes (and I'm sure 6S2S are no different) to be SUPER super quiet. Someone using sensitive dynamics like a VC would notice this more than someone using planars. Even easy to drive planars like Caldera and HE1000se are basically impervious to tube noise, even on my Mk1. I have to be a lot more choosy for my dynamics.

I don't know if this is different on the Mk2.

I just rolled in my 6C8C because it feels like a VC day :)

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #6,162 of 6,283
Which are your favorites? At some point, I'm likely going to snag an HA300 and I'm going to keep my eye open for these.
The 6S5S are my favorite driver tube. They are kind of hard to find, but can still be found if you are diligent in your search. I just scored a quad a week ago, so it can be done. The great thing is, that when they do show up, they are usually super cheap. I paid $40 for the last quad I bought. This tube is phenomenal in every way. It's got some magic and combines tube flavor, detail and grip like no other (in my opinion) with super holographic staging. There are two different factories, and both are fantastic.

1000005093.jpg

My second favs, are the 6S2S and Mullard CV6/VR135, and those are both usually easy to find.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #6,163 of 6,283
The 6S5S are my favorite driver tube. They are kind of hard to find, but can still be found if you are diligent in your search. I just scored a quad a week ago, so it can be done. The great thing is, that when they do show up, they are usually super cheap. I paid $40 for the last quad I bought. This tube is phenomenal in every way. It's got some magic and combines tube flavor, detail and grip like no other (in my opinion) with super holographic staging. There are two different factories, and both are fantastic.

1000005093.jpg

My second favs, are the 6S2S and Mullard CV6/VR135, and those are both usually easy to find.

Thanks Wes, I appreciate your thoughts on them.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #6,164 of 6,283
One thought about tube choices and gear pairings (sorry I'm behind the discussion):

I find all of my Russian tubes (and I'm sure 6S2S are no different) to be SUPER super quiet. Someone using sensitive dynamics like a VC would notice this more than someone using planars. Even easy to drive planars like Caldera and HE1000se are basically impervious to tube noise, even on my Mk1. I have to be a lot more choosy for my dynamics.

I don't know if this is different on the Mk2.

I just rolled in my 6C8C because it feels like a VC day :)
Heck yeah! We are both rocking Russian driver tubes, and VC's today. :beerchug:

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #6,165 of 6,283
Thanks Wes, I appreciate your thoughts on them.
Sure thing! I forgot to mention the rectifier, and I would keep an eye out for some of the Japanese made (not sure on the real factory as they are all rebranded) 22DE4 with the Grey/Copper plates.

1000005103.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back