Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 29, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #6,256 of 6,408
Ayyye new tube day. I will join you ! I just got the GEC ST L63's in ^__^

IMG_3622 Medium.jpeg
Ahhh!! You got those!! Let me know how it goes!! Interested if they better the CV6... Initial impression .. shouty or refined?

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #6,257 of 6,408
Ahhh!! You got those!! Let me know how it goes!! Interested if they better the CV6... Initial impression .. shouty or refined?
Yeah will do ! So far they are impressing me, good extension top/bottom, a bit more neutral and less mid forward than the Mullards and seem to have good detail retrieval. This will be a close match I suspect 🔊

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #6,258 of 6,408
New tube day as well :)

Pinnacle 6J5 from Langarex, as recommended by @Wes S ...

Early days but I can already say this is LEGIT 🍻🍻🍻🍻🔥

20240430_112746.jpg

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #6,259 of 6,408
Nice seeing all the new (old) tubes! You guys are rocking and rolling now. :grin:

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #6,260 of 6,408
New tube day as well :)

Pinnacle 6J5 from Langarex, as recommended by @Wes S ...

Early days but I can already say this is LEGIT 🍻🍻🍻🍻🔥

20240430_112746.jpg
They are good ... but they are not close the 6S5S! 6S5S is refined and dynamic. Gave my head a right workout! The pinnacles are awesome for cheap tubes though and i also have two sets with spares! Great to have more flavours of a good thing. BUT ... the 6S5S is something else!

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #6,261 of 6,408
Ayyye new tube day. I will join you ! I just got the GEC ST L63's in ^__^

IMG_3622 Medium.jpeg

Those are VERY nice tubes. I'd like to grab a set of those as well.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #6,262 of 6,408
They are good ... but they are not close the 6S5S! 6S5S is refined and dynamic. Gave my head a right workout! The pinnacles are awesome for cheap tubes though and i also have two sets with spares! Great to have more flavours of a good thing. BUT ... the 6S5S is something else!
Nothing compares to the 6S5S in the HA300MK2. Glad I am not the only one enjoying them!

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #6,264 of 6,408
Those are VERY nice tubes. I'd like to grab a set of those as well.

Welp the Mullard Whites are going back in already! But not the reason you think, one of them died already after a few hours ><. Luckily I got them through Langrex so I think they should take care of it, not sure how it works with them on the matching front though. I did get them matched, but forgot to ask for the result stickers

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #6,265 of 6,408
Welp the Mullard Whites are going back in already! But not the reason you think, one of them died already after a few hours ><. Luckily I got them through Langrex so I think they should take care of it, not sure how it works with them on the matching front though. I did get them matched, but forgot to ask for the result stickers

I don't know if Langrex keeps track of the measurements, but that's the first thing that I'd ask. If they have the measurements, they should be able to send you something roughly in the rang.

That said, I'm not sure how critical matching is for this particular application.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #6,266 of 6,408
Apr 30, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #6,267 of 6,408
I don't know if Langrex keeps track of the measurements, but that's the first thing that I'd ask. If they have the measurements, they should be able to send you something roughly in the rang.

That said, I'm not sure how critical matching is for this particular application.
Why would it not be critical? I actually did feel like one channel was having a higher volume then another and this was visible with the volume meter, so I am already in doubt with their matching. Although I didn't have much time with them to test and verify this obviously before one died on me.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #6,268 of 6,408
Why would it not be critical? I actually did feel like one channel was having a higher volume then another and this was visible with the volume meter, so I am already in doubt with their matching. Although I didn't have much time with them to test and verify this obviously before one died on me.

I've always found matching to be more important with power tubes (particularly when used in a fixed bias amp). But that's just my personal take. Others will disagree.

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #6,269 of 6,408
If you are unhappy with the L63 set, send them ALL back. Ask for a new set. Langrex warranty is excellent. They replaced one of my tubes without question. I get the feeling if you paid top money for a matched set, then send them all back. Its a top price product. I have yet to hear a volume difference so long as tubes are working as they should. I have mismatched all sorts and not heard a balance issue on drivers SO FAR! Sorry to hear of your loss @trollbearpig - thats damn annoying.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #6,270 of 6,408
If you are unhapy with the L63 set, send them ALL back. Ask for a new set. Langrex warranty is excellent. They replaced one of my tubes without question. I get the feeling if you paid top money for a matched set, then send them all back. Its a top price product.
It depends upon where you are. That can get expensive. It would also be good to know how the 6SN7 socket is used from Cayin. Is it a follower type, or parallel, which lowers noises and impedance? I haven't taken the time to measure the socket but it would be an easy answer from Cayin. If parallel it is best to have them closely matched. As a follower, a little less so but good in that case, to have the 1st tube section match closely with the other socketed tube 1st section for the other channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back