Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 16, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #6,406 of 6,488
That's how I feel about my DCA Expanse listing.

Before gifting them away at half price, I rather keep them.

However Elrogs for 1k should move fast (even though there are more people emerging who prefer one of the other big players)
These are the base Elrogs so not quite half price. Still $600 cheaper than buying new.

This is only my 2 listing so I'm not sure how fast they will move.

I think a lot of people will be hesitant to buy from someone with only 2 listings, but we'll see how it goes.

May 16, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #6,408 of 6,488
Elaborating from my previous post and with the same tubes, no changes, I notice some transformation. Odd, as I do leave tubes in place but do listen to others but I don't change as often as many.

I hear more space around subjects. Singers, have the slight natural echo/reverb of realism. Also separation, width and depth are excellent, with that 3D auditory mental vision of place, is extremely good and so very enjoyable. It brings new life to recordings and some I thought that had no real acoustical information on venue, do have that almost tactile auditory feel to them. If you close your eyes, cutting off that sense, it is spooky, in a good way.

More natural decay, detail with no veiling of the sound and a very fine bass line that is notes that drift up and down with harmonics filling the spectrum on all frequencies.

Previous post;

"The MKII does well with the Duelund caps. I had oral surgery the other day. A rear tooth. It seems to have opened my hearing even more, which was already normal. I have been letting the same tubes stay in the amp now for a few weeks, rather that switch them out. Tubes really do need to age some to come into their own and constantly changing tubes, will never let you know what an amp will do.

I have some nice metal base Chinese dual cap, 7193 type in and they are amazing, the WE300B and 3 grey plate Japanese and one Black plate Japanese rectifier.

Excellent depth and you can hear the reflection of sound from the recording venue, Wonderful layering and timbre. Superb sound. I also use ceramic fuses that are the sand filled type."

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #6,409 of 6,488
OK question for all of you.

Got someone who wants to buy my Elrogs.

He's from Canada, and has a good rating on the Canadian Audio Market. He has agreed to a Paypal invoice but wants to print out his own UPS label and deal with all the customs fees.

While he has a good rating on CAM he has nothing here on head-fi. 0 posts 0 feedback.

Do I go for it or say no?

May 17, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #6,410 of 6,488

He's from Canada, and has a good rating on the Canadian Audio Market. He has agreed to a Paypal invoice but wants to print out his own UPS label and deal with all the customs fees.

While he has a good rating on CAM he has nothing here on head-fi. 0 posts 0 feedback.

Candians are the worst! Don’t trust ‘em!

(I’m Canadian)

…I’ve used CAM a ton and if he has good feedback there it’s probably not a problem.

May 17, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #6,411 of 6,488
So I've recently found myself in possession of a Susvara, and so far I've really been digging GEC CV6 with them. I tried Mullard Red Prints and Brimar 6J5 as well, but surprisingly I found the warmer tubes to be too smooth with the brighter Susvara. Boy, I hope I'm not becoming one of those people that likes NEUTRAL sound.

Any driver pairings that Susvara/HA-300 owners have been digging?

May 18, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #6,412 of 6,488

Did you "confirm" that his alleged CAM Account is his by contacting it directly?
Could still be a hacked Account.

There are quite a few scam themes around with bringing their own label.

Personally I'd only accept direct payments up front no paypal.
One of the scam Themes involves rerouting the package, which he can since it's his Label, and then requesting money back from paypal since it never arrived at the original location.

May 18, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #6,413 of 6,488
So I've recently found myself in possession of a Susvara, and so far I've really been digging GEC CV6 with them. I tried Mullard Red Prints and Brimar 6J5 as well, but surprisingly I found the warmer tubes to be too smooth with the brighter Susvara. Boy, I hope I'm not becoming one of those people that likes NEUTRAL sound.

Any driver pairings that Susvara/HA-300 owners have been digging?
There are many more bright tubes out there than Mullard CV6. White prints are still my favourite, their sound is massive. On an equal pegging, i also love the Russian 6S5S/6C5C mesh which are a 6C5G true equivalent (cryllic makes this awkward!). Over the Mullard whiteprints, they just offer a touch more of everything. BUt i still come back to White prints as one of the best value fairly easy to get tubes. The russian 6C5C suddenly have a handful of availability on ebay, but once they dry up it would seem that my supplier network are giving up on them! Unobtanium is becoming very real. I found Pinnacle 6j5G to be more harsh, but a Chinese identical equivalent i think the 62C2 has been given more burn in time and sounds really very surprising! But, its slightly more lean but the presentation is pristine! Im also trialling the chinese 6C8P a CV6 equivalent, and its brilliantly neutral and super cheap. The problem with a lot of the chinese supplied tubes is that most have loose bases or are filfthy dirty, pins are corroded etc. SO a keen eye and diligence is required. I bought 7193 from a chinese supplier and all 12 got returned as they were wrong in all ways with 2 not working straight off, all had loose bases, some were massively microphonic!! Sometimes its worth paying a bit more to have a well tested set.

Most of what i have mentioned above i have multiples of, if you are interested in trying any of them, then PM me.

Mullard CV6 White (Joint first favourite)
Mullard CV6 Orange (4th/5th favourite)
Mullard CV6 Red (Close second favourite but a bit thinner)
Russian 6C5C (6C5G) (Joint first favourite)
Chinese 6C8P (CV6) (Really good, reaklly cheap!)
Chinese 62C2 (6J5 equiv)
Pinnacle 6J5G (A good cheap tube)
22DE4 Grey and Black.

I have rifled all the 7193 / 2C22 / CV6 derrivatives i can find. THese are defintately the best value for money and high availability sets.

I have rifled through many 6C5 (Like most of them but nothing to gain on top the above) and 6J5 (but not the £400-£1000 sets - YET!). They all have something to enjoy but i find them to be quite a bit more expensive than CV6 derrivatives for no gain in the majority of my tests.

Whilst you read my comments above, understand that im using these with Susvara, Elrog 300bMO and an already smooth performing R26 Gustard R-2-R DAC. Both the Gustard and Holo May are ultra smooth performers but bite where required. The May was a level above, but i find myself constantly feeding a second hobby (Astrophotography) and often play the swapsies game until find a happy compromise. The Gustard for ME, is 90% of the May L2. But i also believe these R-2-R dacs help smooth the way and offer an ultra realistic/emotive presentation over some more expensive alternatives. I really dislike bright, and have always been pulled to bright through my hi-fi journey - i now actively avoid it and find it hard to believe people find the Susvara bright - unless their DACS are super bright and causing the issue.

Also be sure to up your game on 22DE4, The best Japanese Grey and Black Plates make all the difference! They are not paired either so can be further refined by adding a single black plate amongst 3 greys, or 2/2 etc.

Im hoping to try E1148, a new handful of Russian 6C5C and maybe one of the top Mullard sets of 6J5/L63.

I would like to state how unbelieveably enjoyable it has been to be able to tune personal requirements where a solidstate amp would have been the end before you even got started. The Cayin300b is an amazing achievement that meets my TOTL requirements in every way.

May 18, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #6,414 of 6,488
Did you "confirm" that his alleged CAM Account is his by contacting it directly?
Could still be a hacked Account.

There are quite a few scam themes around with bringing their own label.

Personally I'd only accept direct payments up front no paypal.
One of the scam Themes involves rerouting the package, which he can since it's his Label, and then requesting money back from paypal since it never arrived at the original location.
I would NOT allow Paypal Invoice. This potentially allow him to turn over the payment. It NEEDS to be Friends and Family or bank transfer ONLY. REFUSE ANYTHING ELSE. THe problem for you is that he will argue if one of those valves go bad in transit, he will overturn your payment. Most of us understand that a bad tube in transit is tought luck. No one warrants a tube to travel half the world and work perfectly. Read the small print on most ebay sales very carefully!! THe one that stick in my mind is the £20,000 set of WE300b originals. Even they only take a cash payment!!

May 18, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #6,415 of 6,488
Both the Gustard and Holo May are ultra smooth performers but bite where required. The May was a level above, but i find myself constantly feeding a second hobby (Astrophotography) and often play the swapsies game until find a happy compromise. The Gustard for ME, is 90% of the May L2.
Your second hobby means you are living far from any source of the light pollution, i.e. cities. Good optics and tripods with equatorial mounts aren’t cheap. I took pictures (terrestrial) with shutter speed as long as 30 sec and more using neutral filters. Magical effects!
Recently I considered purchasing another DAC to split my speaker and headphone setups. Of course, I don’t want spending my money on anything obviously worse than my Hydra Vox. Reading again the related thread I’ve found the owner of both May and Vox who prefer the timbre of the latter for more naturalness. Seems like there’s no other DAC for me so far.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #6,416 of 6,488
There are many more bright tubes out there than Mullard CV6. White prints are still my favourite, their sound is massive. On an equal pegging, i also love the Russian 6S5S/6C5C mesh which are a 6C5G true equivalent (cryllic makes this awkward!). Over the Mullard whiteprints, they just offer a touch more of everything. BUt i still come back to White prints as one of the best value fairly easy to get tubes. The russian 6C5C suddenly have a handful of availability on ebay, but once they dry up it would seem that my supplier network are giving up on them! Unobtanium is becoming very real. I found Pinnacle 6j5G to be more harsh, but a Chinese identical equivalent i think the 62C2 has been given more burn in time and sounds really very surprising! But, its slightly more lean but the presentation is pristine! Im also trialling the chinese 6C8P a CV6 equivalent, and its brilliantly neutral and super cheap. The problem with a lot of the chinese supplied tubes is that most have loose bases or are filfthy dirty, pins are corroded etc. SO a keen eye and diligence is required. I bought 7193 from a chinese supplier and all 12 got returned as they were wrong in all ways with 2 not working straight off, all had loose bases, some were massively microphonic!! Sometimes its worth paying a bit more to have a well tested set.

Most of what i have mentioned above i have multiples of, if you are interested in trying any of them, then PM me.

Mullard CV6 White (Joint first favourite)
Mullard CV6 Orange (4th/5th favourite)
Mullard CV6 Red (Close second favourite but a bit thinner)
Russian 6C5C (6C5G) (Joint first favourite)
Chinese 6C8P (CV6) (Really good, reaklly cheap!)
Chinese 62C2 (6J5 equiv)
Pinnacle 6J5G (A good cheap tube)
22DE4 Grey and Black.

I have rifled all the 7193 / 2C22 / CV6 derrivatives i can find. THese are defintately the best value for money and high availability sets.

I have rifled through many 6C5 (Like most of them but nothing to gain on top the above) and 6J5 (but not the £400-£1000 sets - YET!). They all have something to enjoy but i find them to be quite a bit more expensive than CV6 derrivatives for no gain in the majority of my tests.

Whilst you read my comments above, understand that im using these with Susvara, Elrog 300bMO and an already smooth performing R26 Gustard R-2-R DAC. Both the Gustard and Holo May are ultra smooth performers but bite where required. The May was a level above, but i find myself constantly feeding a second hobby (Astrophotography) and often play the swapsies game until find a happy compromise. The Gustard for ME, is 90% of the May L2. But i also believe these R-2-R dacs help smooth the way and offer an ultra realistic/emotive presentation over some more expensive alternatives. I really dislike bright, and have always been pulled to bright through my hi-fi journey - i now actively avoid it and find it hard to believe people find the Susvara bright - unless their DACS are super bright and causing the issue.

Also be sure to up your game on 22DE4, The best Japanese Grey and Black Plates make all the difference! They are not paired either so can be further refined by adding a single black plate amongst 3 greys, or 2/2 etc.

Im hoping to try E1148, a new handful of Russian 6C5C and maybe one of the top Mullard sets of 6J5/L63.

I would like to state how unbelieveably enjoyable it has been to be able to tune personal requirements where a solidstate amp would have been the end before you even got started. The Cayin300b is an amazing achievement that meets my TOTL requirements in every way.
Thanks for the VERY thorough post! I haven’t tried the Mullard white prints yet, but from memory they are quite similar to the GEC. And I did manage to grab a quad of 6S5S, so I’m definitely excited about those.

But the GECs just have a way of waking up my so-called “sleepy” planars. I had definitely noticed it with the Expanse, and I’m finding the same with the Susvara. The punchiness just goes up a couple levels. It’s a shame that the GEC seems to be drying up and getting more expensive; I could definitely agree that at current prices the Mullard white prints are the better buy.

My next step is to go through my American tubes - I bet in particular Raytheon 6J5WGT, Sylvania round plate 6J5 and Ken-Rad 6C5 metal cans would be interesting pairings. What a shame I only have 2 ears!

May 18, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #6,417 of 6,488
Your second hobby means you are living far from any source of the light pollution, i.e. cities. Good optics and tripods with equatorial mounts aren’t cheap. I took pictures (terrestrial) with shutter speed as long as 30 sec and more using neutral filters. Magical effects!
Recently I considered purchasing another DAC to split my speaker and headphone setups. Of course, I don’t want spending my money on anything obviously worse than my Hydra Vox. Reading again the related thread I’ve found the owner of both May and Vox who prefer the timbre of the latter for more naturalness. Seems like there’s no other DAC for me so far.
No, light pollution is my issue. I live in Bortle 7 skies and its evil! SO i can do Narrowband fairly well, but LRGB is hard work. I still try but i need to put 20 hours into an image not the 1-2 hours at bortle 2!!! I wish i could afford to move my gear to somewhere remote! I shoot in mono which is a requisite for poor skies. The Rosette nebula here is around 15hours.

Attachments

• Rosette_Carnival_16hours_R11_LR-2.png
    Rosette_Carnival_16hours_R11_LR-2.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • M51_ODK_6hours_16.png
    M51_ODK_6hours_16.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • WizardDynamic_12f4_9.75hrs_16.png
    WizardDynamic_12f4_9.75hrs_16.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • NGC1333_Embryo_12f4_12hours_16.png
    NGC1333_Embryo_12f4_12hours_16.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • M27_Dummbell_12f4_RGB_Stars_16-2.png
    M27_Dummbell_12f4_RGB_Stars_16-2.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
May 18, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #6,418 of 6,488
Thanks for the VERY thorough post! I haven’t tried the Mullard white prints yet, but from memory they are quite similar to the GEC. And I did manage to grab a quad of 6S5S, so I’m definitely excited about those.

But the GECs just have a way of waking up my so-called “sleepy” planars. I had definitely noticed it with the Expanse, and I’m finding the same with the Susvara. The punchiness just goes up a couple levels. It’s a shame that the GEC seems to be drying up and getting more expensive; I could definitely agree that at current prices the Mullard white prints are the better buy.

My next step is to go through my American tubes - I bet in particular Raytheon 6J5WGT, Sylvania round plate 6J5 and Ken-Rad 6C5 metal cans would be interesting pairings. What a shame I only have 2 ears!
Most of the metal cans i see are far later productions and i have no interest. I played in 6sn7 quite a bit and was happy with TungSol Black Glass Oval Plates ... then my next step was GEC CV6 and Mullard CV6. For me personally, and with my gear, nothing has floored the Mullard White prints ... THe GEC's got sold (my white prints might have been a stronger copy, but mine were leaps better to my ear!) - I have 3 whiteprint sets all strong and matched. Russian 6C5C are very hit and miss, but i think they sit alongside White prints. Both have utter moments of brilliance, and everything else for me doesnt quite have "everything". Im reserving judgement on the chinese tubes, i think they are excellent, but i havent had enough burn in time yet to be fair to them. They are dynamic, they are spacious which already put them "up there". But i think they might be slightly thinner and some music just needs that extra little bit :) But an incredibly decent tube for the money! 6SN7 is a non-requirement for me. No need to go back.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #6,419 of 6,488
I would NOT allow Paypal Invoice. This potentially allow him to turn over the payment. It NEEDS to be Friends and Family or bank transfer ONLY. REFUSE ANYTHING ELSE. THe problem for you is that he will argue if one of those valves go bad in transit, he will overturn your payment. Most of us understand that a bad tube in transit is tought luck. No one warrants a tube to travel half the world and work perfectly. Read the small print on most ebay sales very carefully!! THe one that stick in my mind is the £20,000 set of WE300b originals. Even they only take a cash payment!!
Wait what?? The official advice everywhere is to always use Paypal invoice and avoid friend and family or direct payments, you have no recourse otherwise. The fee in Paypal invoice is there to protect buyers and sellers alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back