Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 3, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #6,286 of 6,408
You can also reach out to Moon Audio or ZMF and get one of their DIY headphone cable kits. I also believe Moon Audio does do DIY interconnects kits as well.

Less to worry about like the finding someone who sells quality cable in bulk, making sure you order the right parts and so forth.

All you have to do is get a soldering kit within your price range, and some decent solder.

You still get the benefit of it being much cheaper without all the worries of if you are getting all the right materials needed.

It's a good way for a beginner to start.
If I had to connect the May with HA-300 I wouldn’t go cheap:)

May 3, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #6,288 of 6,408
I have been using the metal base Chinese tube, which seems to be modeled after the Russian type of CV6. The sound after some time is excellent. Totally natural, slightly warm in a realistic way, good dynamics (excellent), and mids for voices are right on. This is the T series from the 1970s some time. And, they are extremely quiet. quieter than the 6S5S, and in ways, I like them better.

May 5, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #6,289 of 6,408
As much as I have enjoyed my time with it, I am going to be jumping ship and selling my HA300MK2 soon. I have fallen in love with another amp, the ZMF Aegis. So with that being said, I am going to be selling some tubes, and a Synergistic Research Master Fuse as well that goes in the power supply, for good prices.

Anyone want to buy a Synergistic Research Master Fuse for half off ($300)? The Fuse is a 4A 250V and is the recommended 1 size up for the US version HA300MK2 used in the back of the power supply. Once, I heard what this Fuse can do by pumping up the dynamics and detail, there was no going back for me. The dynamics and detail improved quite a bit, and who doesn't want that.

Hit me up if you are interested and I wanted to give everyone in this thread a chance first, and I will be listing it and some tubes (rectifiers and drivers) later today in the classifieds.

1000005345.jpg

Cheers,

Wes

May 5, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #6,290 of 6,408
As much as I have enjoyed my time with it, I am going to be jumping ship and selling my HA300MK2 soon. I have fallen in love with another amp, the ZMF Aegis. So with that being said, I am going to be selling some tubes, and a Synergistic Research Master Fuse as well that goes in the power supply, for good prices.

Anyone want to buy a Synergistic Research Master Fuse for half off ($300)? The Fuse is a 4A 250V and is the recommended 1 size up for the US version HA300MK2 used in the back of the power supply. Once, I heard what this Fuse can do by pumping up the dynamics and detail, there was no going back for me. The dynamics and detail improved quite a bit, and who doesn't want that.

Hit me up if you are interested and I wanted to give everyone in this thread a chance first, and I will be listing it and some tubes (rectifiers and drivers) later today in the classifieds.

1000005345.jpg

Cheers,

Wes
Why a 250V fuse for the US Version?

May 5, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #6,291 of 6,408

1000005345.jpg

Cheers,

Wes
Oh man, hope you enjoy the Aegis 🍻 gonna miss your adventures in rolling the HA300!

May 5, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #6,292 of 6,408
Why a 250V fuse for the US Version?
That's what it calls for in the Manual. 3.15A 250V, and I went up one size to a 4A 250V just like SR and my fuse dealer recommended.

1000005349.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #6,293 of 6,408

1000005345.jpg

Cheers,

Wes
The SICTE 22DE4 bid war begins ?!

May 5, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #6,294 of 6,408
May 5, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #6,295 of 6,408
I actually already have a taker for the rectifiers, and 6S5S. :grin:

Haha, bummer. I was going to hit you up on the rectifiers. I don't even own an HA300, but I expect I probably will at some point.

May 5, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #6,296 of 6,408
@Wes S I would love to hear your thoughts on the HA-300b Mk2 vs Aegis and what ultimately sealed the deal for the Aegis?

May 5, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #6,297 of 6,408
@Wes S I would love to hear your thoughts on the HA-300b Mk2 vs Aegis and what ultimately sealed the deal for the Aegis?
The way the Caldera Closed and Aegis pair together so magically, is what ultimately sealed the deal for me. It all comes down to synergy and preferences, as both amps are fantastic. The CC have become my favorite headphone and are so damn perfect for my preferences, that I want to focus on building a system around them. The CC sounded a bit hazy/veiled and slowed down when paired with the HA300MK2, and lost their magic for me. The Aegis is quicker, cleaner and more agile sounding, when paired with the CC.

It all comes down to preferences and synergy at this level, and like I said both amps are fantastic, but in the end the Aegis is the one for me.

That all being said, I use ZMF headphones and they are tuned to the warm/organic side of things, and if I used a Susvara or Utopia, perhaps the 300B warmth of the HA300MK2 would be more my thing with those headphones. However, I have found that the quicker/cleaner sound of the Aegis works extremely well with my ZMF's.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #6,298 of 6,408
The way the Caldera Closed and Aegis pair together so magically, is what ultimately sealed the deal for me. It all comes down to synergy and preferences, as both amps are fantastic. The CC have become my favorite headphone and are so damn perfect for my preferences, that I want to focus on building a system around them. The CC sounded a bit hazy/veiled and slowed down when paired with the HA300MK2, and lost their magic for me. The Aegis is quicker, cleaner and more agile sounding, and just pairs so well with the CC it's insane.

Another big reason for the change, is that with the HA300MK2 I pick up noise and hum from time to time with my VC's, and with the Aegis there is no noise whatsoever.

Also, the HA300MK2 runs super hot, and I can barely keep my listening room cool even when I crank down the AC, and with the Aegis I don't have heat issues at all.

It all comes down to preferences and synergy at this level, and like I said both amps are fantastic, but in the end the Aegis is the one for me.

That all being said, I use ZMF headphones and they are tuned to the warm/organic side of things, and if I used a Susvara or Utopia, perhaps the 300B warmth of the HA300MK2 would be more my thing with those headphones. However, I have found that the quicker/cleaner sound of the Aegis works extremely well with my ZMF's.
The tubes used in the Aegis are all tubes I have a lot of NOS for, the best. Old Mullard and everything else. But I am surprised the output impedance isn't somewhat of an issue with lower impedance headphones.

You have the Caldera close and the amp. You were early on getting them. Any images? What color are the OPT covers?

May 5, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #6,299 of 6,408
The tubes used in the Aegis are all tubes I have a lot of NOS for, the best. Old Mullard and everything else. But I am surprised the output impedance isn't somewhat of an issue with lower impedance headphones.

You have the Caldera close and the amp. You were early on getting them. Any images? What color are the OPT covers?
Head on over to the CC thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-caldera-closed.972056/

He got demo units from Zach.

May 5, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #6,300 of 6,408
I was worried that the ZMF Aegis would start to pull people away from the HA-300. Just the hype around that amp is legendary it seems. I've been following even the DIY thread, and everyone universally seems to not only think it's amazing, but that it just may be the best amp period.

And now we've lost a heavy hitter! We're all going to have to roll extra tubes to make up for Wes moving on...

(...though I wouldn't mind perusing what HA-300 tubes he's letting go :))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back