Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #841 of 6,233
True, transparency doesn’t necessarily mean “thinner” or ”leaner”. It just doesn’t add any coloring to the sound of the source.
That is the right way to put transparency for an amp, but you see ? My post was regarding directly to @twister6 comparison between the BX2 and the C9. The C9 was especially into the fuller body and textures. That was why I posted the above....I would rather pick Fuller body and warmer rather than Colder and thinner and that is my preferences

Most of the time, equipments compromises body density to get that airiness and transparency. We all know that there is no such thing as “perfection”. So there will be no perfect transparency either.

Staying true to the source ? Now that is an interesting topic.

Amplifications in essential is a conversion or modification, and whenever there is a conversion happening, then that original signal is no longer original. Now, you can color it, tune it, to get your desired result, but there is no perfect amplifications for the most true to the original signals.

I will always want to try to avoid “conversions” as much as possible, and that is another reason why I chose C9 for the stack, at least it is running directly from 8.8V positive rail and 8.8V negative rail with Ground references. The BX2 + is doing multiple boosts to get it from 3.7V battery into 8.8V or higher.

We can debate whatever ways the C9 sound signature is, but the fact remains, technically speaking, the less conversions is the better.

Now comes preferences, personal preferences will always be a thing and is the king of this hobby

Listening to C9 in Solid State and Class AB, the C9 carrying the typical Cayin house sound that is similar to the N8 for sure. This is why I paired up the C9 with the Max as a source with Max having that Neutral and colder signature already. This is where the beauty lie for being a dedicated Amp, once you understand your desires and the amp voicing, you can pair up and match up whatever you want to get the results....but you can not change how the Amp is running from the power supply that easy
5CF1199E-7C5B-4B58-A919-126D2A23B40B.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #842 of 6,233
you can pair up and match up whatever you want to get the results

Exactly. If I want to add more color or weight to my source, I’ll pair an amp that will bring exactly that.

Feb 6, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #843 of 6,233
Exactly. If I want to add more color or weight to my source, I’ll pair an amp that will bring exactly that.
Agreed, and in my case, I carefully chose the C9 due to it technicality and design as mentioned. Then I will choose my source carefully later on.

I have found instances where when I use IER-Z1R, I flip into Class AB and SS, where HD800S will have Class A and Korg tubes, and most of the time I stay in these modes due to my genres collections. But having the ability to swap around and matching my desires is something right at this moment only C9 can do

I am sure I will be upgrading my DAPs more often than Amplifier :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #844 of 6,233
Agreed, and in my case, I carefully chose the C9 due to it technicality and design as mentioned. Then I will choose my source carefully later on.

I am sure I will be upgrading my DAPs more often than Amplifier :)

I can imagine C9 is the perfect match for Max. You must be having a blast with HD800S! :relaxed:

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #845 of 6,233
I can imagine C9 is the perfect match for Max. You must be having a blast with HD800S! :relaxed:
Oh I am loving it! I was never into any stack as I have large speakers, desktop solutions, but as life goes on, I found myself more on the move. So I chose to stick with Hd800S , the regular at the office and the anniversary at home. Then I either stay portable or desktop. I was torn between buying the C9 or not. Would it be worth it ? I was especially torn when Andy was tossing around those “says”, that hit me really hard. But I had high hope for the C9, and stayed the course. I am very happy to stack it up at the moment.

I still can’t get over how good the volume control is on the C9 :), and I should be more excited over the Korg tubes, but I am rather more fascinated by the volume control lol! It allows me to listen to earbuds like I never did previously, and it does elevate the performances.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #846 of 6,233
Oh I am loving it! I was never into any stack as I have large speakers, desktop solutions, but as life goes on, I found myself more on the move. So I chose to stick with Hd800S , the regular at the office and the anniversary at home. Then I either stay portable or desktop. I was torn between buying the C9 or not. Would it be worth it ? I was especially torn when Andy was tossing around those “says”, that hit me really hard. But I had high hope for the C9, and stayed the course. I am very happy to stack it up at the moment.

I still can’t get over how good the volume control is on the C9 :), and I should be more excited over the Korg tubes, but I am rather more fascinated by the volume control lol! It allows me to listen to earbuds like I never did previously, and it does elevate the performances.

How’s the stack compared to your desktop setup?

On the volume, I think Andy mentioned it uses the MUSES72320, which is the same one found in my Burson Soloist 3XP. Check out the attached chart from Burson’s website. It matches your experience with IEMs (the ”low” bar chart shows an IEM image) :relaxed:

85FBB15D-A7AA-404A-9498-6B57AD99B834.jpeg

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #847 of 6,233
How’s the stack compared to your desktop setup?

On the volume, I think Andy mentioned it uses the MUSES72320, which is the same one found in my Burson Soloist 3XP. Check out the attached chart from Burson’s website. It matches your experience with IEMs (the ”low” bar chart shows an IEM image) :relaxed:

85FBB15D-A7AA-404A-9498-6B57AD99B834.jpeg

What even is the last headphone in that pic?

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #848 of 6,233
What even is the last headphone in that pic?

No idea, I guess it’s just an illustration to show the hardest to drive headphones.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #849 of 6,233
No idea, I guess it’s just an illustration to show the hardest to drive headphones.

Haha. fair ehough! I was kinda suprised when I didnt even have a guess for it!

I gotta be honest man. Your raving over the super fine volume control may sell this thing to me alone. Impercise volume control (and not being able to get quiet enough without channel imbalance without cans sounding super flat) has been an issue on every portable I have tried to this point

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #850 of 6,233
I noticed a slight imperfection in my c9 at least. When outputting 6v balanced from either the sp2000 or n8 and listening with sensitive IEMs on low or high gain, there is slight sound leakage into the left channel when the volume is at zero. It doesn't seem to be volume pot related but a leakage on ground. Of course its harmless because its masked as soon as you turn the volume up but a quirk nevertheless

Listening to Erlkoenig this evening and blown away by how "live" saxophones sound! I swear it was in the room with me.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #851 of 6,233
Doing some comparison to my desktop now as requested :). The amp is Mini Dynalo run
image.jpg

Listening to HD800S-Anniversary, the depth and imagining on the Desktop is obviously better, dynamic punches are also taken up a notch. How much more ? About %10.

Is the C9 worth stacking on the go ? Yes!!! Definitely. I will trade this %10 for portability anytime. If you wonder this Mini Dynalo. This is a DIY version and miniature version of Mini GSX

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #852 of 6,233
Doing some comparison to my desktop now as requested :). The amp is Mini Dynalo run
image.jpg

Listening to HD800S-Anniversary, the depth and imagining on the Desktop is obviously better, dynamic punches are also taken up a notch. How much more ? About %10.
Is the C9 worth stacking on the go ? Yes!!! Definitely

Yep, 10% difference is enough for the stack to be worth it :thumbsup: excellent!!

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #853 of 6,233
In my case, adding tube to my collection has always been one of my goals. C9 being portable and having multiple sound signatures are really what makes it stand out to me. :)

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #854 of 6,233
In my case, adding tube to my collection has always been one of my goals. C9 being portable and having multiple sound signatures are really what makes it stand out to me. :)
Same here! I never lacked Tubes goodness, but I couldn’t deal with the funkiness of the classic tubes anymore. I rather have Korg tubes as it is very reliable :), and since the C9 has both, it is definitely one of the reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back