Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #871 of 6,212
I have been trying different sources and I found that with an SP2000 in line out mode, it causes distortion with certain tracks . I have to come out of line out and turn the volume manually.

Can you describe your connection and setting?

SP2000 in Balanced line out, at 6V
2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter , 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect from SP2000 to C9
C9 set to line input mode, low gain?

If you look at Input Sensitivity in C9 specification, C9 can accept 6V line in at low gain.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #872 of 6,212
Oh now I need to test the Pre-In Mode! As the Max has dedicated Amp and it own power supply! The C9 has too many features !! Lol

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #873 of 6,212
Damn it!!! I am such a noob but please don’t be like me. I was turning down the Max volume very low into 9 o’clock and into C9.

I flipped the Pre In and press the Pre on the side, it had such low volume and so I started cranking.

Then saw the Led next to the Pre button on the side. I figured to hold it in for a few seconds and voila it turned on....

I ended up blasting my ears for 2 seconds before I quickly tapped the pause on Max.

I found a couple instances.

1/ Flip input to pre

2/ Hold down your Pre button on the side until Led light up

3/ The volume on C9 is disabled and it is using the player volume and it is at MAXIMUM amping power

*I don’t have volume leaks issues*, except I do have that low volume channel imbalances that comes from Max volume itself.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #876 of 6,212

If you look at Input Sensitivity in C9 specification, C9 can accept 6V line in at low gain.

Ah. I can't remember if I was in low gain. I will check.

I was trying different combinations to see what was influencing the sound leakage in the left channel. Then suddenly noticed the distortion too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will report back.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #877 of 6,212
So using the C9 under the Pre In mode, I am using the whole Max as a DAC and Preamplifier with the C9 acting as a Power-Amplifier.

This is basically my Max sound signatures Mixed up and amplified with C9 signatures together

This is good if you have high end flagship DAP that you love the sound signatures but want to amplify it correctly without double amping!!

When you see this LED ON, Please turn down your DAP volume to 0
It won’t be on until you hold it in for 5 seconds or so
You can go deaf if you don’t turn down your DAP volume
01912445-3912-4592-B761-48CA05FE2297.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #878 of 6,212
Anyone able to test the C9 on a pair of ZMF Veritie Closed? I'd like to see if they can drive them with conviction (not expecting it to be the case but happy to hear otherwise).

Also currious about them driving arya. If the c9 can run arya and VC at anything even aproaching desktop levels, tbh, I think its kind of a no brain purchase for me.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #879 of 6,212
So using the C9 under the Pre In mode, I am using the whole Max as a DAC and Preamplifier with the C9 acting as a Power-Amplifier.

This is basically my Max sound signatures Mixed up and amplified with C9 signatures together

This is good if you have high end flagship DAP that you love the sound signatures but want to amplify it correctly without double amping!!

When you see this LED ON, Please turn down your DAP volume to 0
It won’t be on until you hold it in for 5 seconds or so
You can go deaf if you don’t turn down your DAP volume
01912445-3912-4592-B761-48CA05FE2297.jpeg

Wait. This confuses me. How are you not double Amping in this scenario?

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #880 of 6,212
Also currious about them driving arya. If the c9 can run arya and VC at anything even aproaching desktop levels, tbh, I think its kind of a no brain purchase for me.
Do you think Diana V2 is at the same level of power requirement as these two? I should be able to test V2’s performance and compare it with the recommended desktop amp very soon. :)

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #881 of 6,212
Do you think Diana V2 is at the same level of power requirement as these two? I should be able to test V2’s performance and compare it with the recommended desktop amp very soon. :)

Afaik. Diana V2 is tougher to run than arya (and they are powered in similar ways), but it won't work for the VC test due to very different driver power dynamics

Edit: when you do it, mind doing it with your desktop dac? Just for fewest variable possible

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #882 of 6,212
Afaik. Diana V2 is tougher to run than arya (and they are powered in similar ways), but it won't work for the VC test due to very different driver power dynamics

Edit: when you do it, mind doing it with your desktop dac? Just for fewest variable possible
Sure. I happen to have an interconnect the can pair my Burson DAC with the C9.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #883 of 6,212
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #884 of 6,212
Wait. This confuses me. How are you not double Amping in this scenario?
I think he is referring to that the “second amp” that is performed by C9 is not adding any coloring/extra to the original sound that is amped by the MAX; C9 just makes it louder and more powerful.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #885 of 6,212
I think this is the intended way to use the PRE mode. :)

Sorry, I was misunderstood the context. Ignore what i said previously. :see_no_evil:

If you can, could you try in sp2k line out mode (make sure to switch back the c9) and play

Lianne la havas, Good Goodbye

The whole album is brickwalled which is adding to the problems here but this track obviously distorts at several points during the track

Settings:
SE > BAL (Line Out 1.05V/3V), Low Gain, timbre SS + Class A and Spotify

Disclaimer: i don't have golden ears, take my finding as from noob :sweat_smile:

- LO 1.05V/3V, sound brickwalled (thanks I learn something new), vocal seems louder than usual, there is distortion? at some point around 2:59-3:04
- Without LO, vocal loudness more balance than LO, distortion? at 2:59-3:04, less noticeable

It's already midnight here, I will try again with song that i familiar in the next morning

IMG_2171.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back