Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,026 of 6,212
I was reading through all that and had to laugh. People saying under $1000 is the Max and no way this would sell at this price only for this to happen.
So if 300 are back ordered that means they sold 800 in the first month? Damn that’s good

$1000 is the higher guess already, I have seen lower offers, and someone even said Cayin is making a big mistake if we ask for more.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #2,027 of 6,212
Quiet contradictory to Andy claims about batteries vs AC...Shanling has a very different point of view on batteries operated devices
Transformer winding isn’t hard. Now, making it with Silver instead of copper is something I rarely see :wink:.

However, batteries for clean power is true. But I am with Cayin here, AC is unlimited power where as batteries will have it pros and cons.

Having both will be the ideal world. The shanling M30 is able to run off external power supplies :wink:. I will be trying to do so with C9 lol

Can someone help me find out howmuch the MSRP for the battery module will be in the C9? Thank you

I don't think we are contradictory, we are only looking at the same issue from different perspective. I am convinced AC has their edge when we are dealing with very low sensitivity (90dB or below) and high (and non-flat) impedance loading, but beyond these limitation, battery based can works pretty well, and that doesn't imply battery is better then AC either, it depends on implementation to a large extend.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,028 of 6,212
Maybe it works better for some. If you developed a good habit with your C9 case, maybe (and I am not taking any responsibilities, so don't quote me on this) you can install the battery tray in the case without the two mounting screws on each side. Taking C9 out from the protective case and swap your batteries probably is faster then unscrewed the two mounting screws > change the batteries > put back the mounting screws.

If you guys do a V2 of the C9 a tool-less system for the battery would be an awesome addition. IMO

Also, took me a couple days to get back to you. TYVM for the info on planar impedence curves. Sent me on a several day reading spree that was crazy interesting! TYVM.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #2,029 of 6,212
That is sad....it means probably a couple months if we are lucky =/
Thankfully I ordered a Battery Charger at the same time so 'rolling' Batteries will be 'hot swappable'
I will see how the C9 acts without screws to the battery tray as I'm concerned about easy disconnection if moved slightly. Not sure if it clicks into place initially giving one level of security but will judge this when received. Otherwise, one screw will suffice whilst listening to all batteries. Now looking at 4.4mm Balanced Interconnects....

Attachments

• 61aUsJQZABL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61aUsJQZABL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,030 of 6,212
$1000 is the higher guess already, I have seen lower offers, and someone even said Cayin is making a big mistake if we ask for more.

LOl. Yup. Common mistake in this hobby. Just because a 2k+ passive preamp makes 0 sense to you doesnt mean it wont be massively valued by some. Plus, tbh, I dont realy get why people are acting like 2k is new territory for a portable amp. Before we got the BX2+ and similar, 1k+ was the norm for portables.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #2,031 of 6,212
I can confirm the C9 won't explode with battery at 35A discharge. :wink:

I have tried Sony VTC5A 18650 2600mah 35A, the different is minimum when compare to the C9 stock battery.

Dead currious since im not the most knowledgeable about amp topology. If you significantly increase the discharge rate of the battery does the circuit just utilize the higher limit now? Or is there some form of current limit protection built in? Changing battery voltage is probably a missive no-go I would assume, but would you actualy get benefit in hard to drive panars from higher discharge batteries?

Also, there are a number of chemistries that give voltage output in the C9 designed range. Is your SOC calculation chemistry dependent (I would assume it is)?

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,035 of 6,212
The rules of thumbs is that Voltage can not be changed, current is drawn as needed regardless of the supplied currents. If the supplied current is less than demand, the devices will just shutdown due to inadequate power or become very slows, sluggish.

Yes, but circuitry can absalutely be overdrawn. Thats why I was asking about an amperage limit. Its common place as a safety measure in inverters so I wasnt sure if amps generaly had a similar system

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,037 of 6,212
Yes, but circuitry can absalutely be overdrawn. Thats why I was asking about an amperage limit. Its common place as a safety measure in inverters so I wasnt sure if amps generaly had a similar system
Isn’t the current limit on the output on inverters?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #2,038 of 6,212
Isn’t the current limit on the output on inverters?

depends on the kind of inverter. On lots of 3-phase stuff you have both current input and output control. Especially on DC -> 3-phase where you have a current draw limit built into your BMS as well as an output stage current limit to protect your motor

EDIT: It all comes down to the kind of power source and load. Most of the stuff I work with uses an input current control but I also do a lot of battery stuff. If you are working with mains power (and especialy mains 3-phase), yes, current control is on output because your source will be sized such that you dont have to worry about overdrawing. The thing with battery sources is battery lifetime is a major concern and battery failure can propagate quite easily so you have to be very very careful. Typicaly, high power battery systems are highly specific (even to the point where a BMS may need to be changed for a different supplier of the same spec battery). This is especially true for coulomb counting SOC calculations (which are needed in most modern large scale battery packs as most designs nowadays utilize chemestries with super flat voltage curves), though SOC is more important for general battery life as individual batteries can rarely be replaces in EV packs as opposed to avoiding critical failure that overdrawing can cause.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,039 of 6,212
overdrawing current only happen upon conditions. When you understand these conditions, you are handy enough to fix all kind of circuitry given that it was blown due to current overdrawn :wink:.

So then again, voltage is the rule of thumbs for any working devices, and under fed of current = underpowered

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,040 of 6,212
When you understand these conditions, you are handy enough to fix all kind of circuitry given that it was blown due to current overdrawn

Honestly I have no idea wat you are trying to say here. If you are using a PCB the internal traces tend to be what get damaged by a current over draw without any current limiters in place. That is pretty rarely something tat can be fixed without full replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back